The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlidds

by jlidds

jlidds wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:48 pm
mrlobber wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:43 pm
I've been in contact with Time recently, and they say (and even sent a pic) Deda have come out with a new Superbox stem which basically enables "slammed" setup without the previous additional spacer, which mandated several mm of additional stack increase.
As long as you have that stem, you could use any bars provided they have a hole in the middle and full internal routing.

ACR handlebars also should work.
Awesome! Thanks for the intel. I'm looking at options to maximise integration but not compromising the intent of the system. This looks good. The standard DCR setup is quity porky for a stem (175g from what I can see).
Image[/img]

After spending way too long thinking about options I may have stumbled across a nice match, albeit unintended.

This is an integrated barstem which I bought for a tarmac SL7. It comes from the manufacturer with a specific spacer kit for the frame. The barstem was ordered for a SL7, which has moved on sine I ordered the barstem. It's a ~4 week lead time. I tried it today with my new ADH 23 frame nd I think it works well, at least so far. The mechanic agrees.

The barstem supplier EXS Cycling (https://exs-cycling.com/products/aerove ... -handlebar) couldn’t supply an integration kit specific to the ADH23 but I think it looks pretty neat. The cable exit point on the frame and entry point to the bar are very close.
It also removes the need for using the Deda system which I just didn’t like that much. Just a bit clunky for my liking.

Sorry I didn't get an overhead shot of the bars. They're pretty nice, IMO.

I'll post some build pics once it's all done.

https://exs-cycling.com/products/aerove ... -handlebar
Attachments
IMG_0653[1].JPG
IMG_0649[1].JPG
IMG_0652[1].JPG
IMG_0651[1].JPG
IMG_0650[1].JPG
Tarmac S-Works SL6
Tarmac S-Works SL7
Tarmac S-Works SL8
Venge S-Works
Look 695
Look 795 Blade RS
Aurum Magma
Time Alpe d'Huez 23
No 22 Aurora
Wilier Filante
Factor Ostro II

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

3D printed solutions will give you perfect integration. I would contact Lucendi he made great spacers for my Farsport f1 to perfectly integrate into “round” spacers.
Before
After

MDecius

by MDecius

jlidds wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:07 am
jlidds wrote:
mrlobber wrote:
I've been in contact with Time recently, and they say (and even sent a pic) Deda have come out with a new Superbox stem which basically enables "slammed" setup without the previous additional spacer, which mandated several mm of additional stack increase.
As long as you have that stem, you could use any bars provided they have a hole in the middle and full internal routing.

Awesome! Thanks for the intel. I'm looking at options to maximise integration but not compromising the intent of the system. This looks good. The standard DCR setup is quity porky for a stem (175g from what I can see).
Image[/img]

After spending way too long thinking about options I may have stumbled across a nice match, albeit unintended.

This is an integrated barstem which I bought for a tarmac SL7. It comes from the manufacturer with a specific spacer kit for the frame. The barstem was ordered for a SL7, which has moved on sine I ordered the barstem. It's a ~4 week lead time. I tried it today with my new ADH 23 frame nd I think it works well, at least so far. The mechanic agrees.

The barstem supplier EXS Cycling (https://exs-cycling.com/products/aerove ... -handlebar) couldn’t supply an integration kit specific to the ADH23 but I think it looks pretty neat. The cable exit point on the frame and entry point to the bar are very close.
It also removes the need for using the Deda system which I just didn’t like that much. Just a bit clunky for my liking.

Looks nice! Very eager to see the final result of this build.

A few months ago I had the choice of the ADH23 and ADH01, and went for the older design because I wanted to run rim brakes, and less integration complexity.

However I can't deny that for folks who do go whole-hog on the modern integrated train, the bikes look nice. :)
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

kitchencity

by kitchencity

jlidds wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:07 am
jlidds wrote:
mrlobber wrote:

Image[/img]

Very nice... What does it weigh?

Devastazione

by Devastazione

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a Time Alpe Huez 01 for my upcoming birthday but looks like I need to have some informations about model years.

Since when the 01 is in the market ? Looks like it's from 2019ish or something ? What is the risk of buying a frame that will somehow become obsolete in a 2-3 years ? Basically after years of " other" bikes I'm veering towards Time because I don't want a bike that gets old after 2/3 years either in look or tech stuff. Lookwise I guess Time nailed it,it basically looks like my Canyon Endurace and I love that. No frills to ogle at, just take the bike and ride it.
I can't stomach the look of the ADH 23, so that model is out of question...
Last edited by Devastazione on Mon May 01, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MDecius

by MDecius

Devastazione wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:16 pm
Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a Time Alpe Huez 01 for my upcoming birthday but looks like I need to have some informations about model years.

Since when the 01 is in the market ? Looks like it's from 2019ish or something ? What is the risk of buying a frame that will somehow become obsolete in a 2/3 years ? Basically after years of " other" bikes I'm veering towards Time because I don't want a bike that gets old after 2/3 years either in look or tech stuff. Lookwise I guess Time nailed it,it basically looks like my Canyon Endurace and I love that. No frills to ogle at, just take the bike and ride it.
IMHO, nothing about the 01 will go obsolete in the world of road riding, unless you are chasing literally every single marginal-watt gain. If you want, you can have it with disc brakes, run 28mm tubeless tires, and the only modern tech you will be "missing" out on are fully integrated cables and an aero-optimized frame/wheel/bottle combination.

It all depends on how important those remaining marginal gains are to you. For me, they were not worth the hassle of integration, since I ride for fun and improving my fitness. The classic two-triangle look of the ADH01 and the simplicity of rim brake was more than enough.

Devastazione

by Devastazione

MDecius wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:23 pm
Devastazione wrote:
Hi there,

Since when the 01 is in the market ? Looks like it's from 2019ish or something ? What is the risk of buying a frame that will somehow become obsolete in a 2/3 years ? Basically after years of " other" bikes I'm veering towards Time because I don't want a bike that gets old after 2/3 years either in look or tech stuff. Lookwise I guess Time nailed it,it basically looks like my Canyon Endurace and I love that. No frills to ogle at, just take the bike and ride it.
IMHO, nothing about the 01 will go obsolete in the world of road riding, unless you are chasing literally every single marginal-watt gain. If you want, you can have it with disc brakes, run 28mm tubeless tires, and the only modern tech you will be "missing" out on are fully integrated cables and an aero-optimized frame/wheel/bottle combination.

It all depends on how important those remaining marginal gains are to you. For me, they were not worth the hassle of integration, since I ride for fun and improving my fitness. The classic two-triangle look of the ADH01 and the simplicity of rim brake was more than enough.
Not important at all. I'm turning 50 in 2 months and although in excellent shape I ride just for fun and relax, when I feel like I want to push it a bit I do it but that's it.
Yes it's disc brakes and eventually moving my SRAM Force from my current bike. 28 mm you say ? Time website says 30 and I'd love to have 30s actually

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Pretty sure it's 30 mm actual width so modern wide rim with 28 mm tire is max.

I have 01 rim brake and Time says 28 mm. 28 mm tubular is max tire size so 28 mm clincher tire is not going to happen.

jlidds that EXS bar looks really nice on ADH even without any kit!

Devastazione

by Devastazione

Kumppa wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:21 pm
Pretty sure it's 30 mm actual width so modern wide rim with 28 mm tire is max.

I have 01 rim brake and Time says 28 mm. 28 mm tubular is max tire size so 28 mm clincher tire is not going to happen.

jlidds that EXS bar looks really nice on ADH even without any kit!
Yeah my 28mm Cinturatos go to 30mm once mounted on my 22mm internal rims, so the frame should take it.
Now on with the size: I'm 56 on Specialized,54s on Colnago (c64) and M on my Canyon Endurace. Given the European sizes I should be M on the 01. The 3 bikes I've named where the most comfortable bikes ever owned, with the current M from Canyon being the best. I'm 183 with 86 inseam so again, an M should work.

Nezz0r

by Nezz0r

Should work, I'm 181cm with 84.5 inseam. Though I feel that is at the upper end of M (maybe it is not, but it feels that way :P).

Devastazione

by Devastazione

yeah it sucks when you're in the upper end or lower end. I could have used an L Canyon but I would have had a lot of spacers and a ugly halfway in seatpost, glad I went with an M.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

I'm inbetween sizes as well. I'm 182cm, 89cm inseam, and just ordered a size M. With my proportions I think that'll put me with a 110mm stem or so, although with a lot of drop.

MDecius

by MDecius

Devastazione wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:27 pm
MDecius wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:23 pm
Devastazione wrote:
Hi there,

Not important at all. I'm turning 50 in 2 months and although in excellent shape I ride just for fun and relax, when I feel like I want to push it a bit I do it but that's it.
Yes it's disc brakes and eventually moving my SRAM Force from my current bike. 28 mm you say ? Time website says 30 and I'd love to have 30s actually
There are lots of posts in this thread of folks running 28mm tires, even a few with photos (I just searched). Also in the other "le club time" thread there are many.

I personally am still on 25mm to keep the rule of 105 with my 26mm external rims, but who knows, maybe in the future if I move to a place with slightly worse roads I will bump up to 28.

It's all down to personal choices, but IMO the sweet spot seems to be 25-28mm for general road riding, that's what we see the pros on for almost everything except Paris-Roubaix or Tour of Flanders.

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:33 pm
SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:21 pm
These following numbers are suspected to be wrong:

My new Alpe d'huez 2023 frameset in size S with pink paint came in at 1616 grams.
Frame: 1154
Fork: 400
Headset things: 62

A few hundred more than I expected.
Do you have a BB installed?
No, just the frameset straight out of the box. Hopefully I will have it weighed again by a mechanic and cyclist later this week.
2023 Time Alpe d'Huez 2023
2020 Bianchi Oltre XR4 *Sold
2018 Giant Propel Pro Advanced
2017 Bianchi Intrepida *Sold
2016 Verenti Technique *Sold

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Maybe I missed this somewhere earlier in the thread, but what happened to their Aktiv fork? Do they still offer it? I'm sure it was expensive to manufacturer but brilliant engineering.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com