Seka Exceed RDC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ChaosMuppet

by ChaosMuppet

MartinHnik wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:28 am
Hi there, I'd like to get the integrated handlebars (380/100). According to Seka, there are adapters. Do you know if it will work with 2020 Venge?
According to the FAQ on the SEKA website there are adapters for "Specialized Tarmac SL7, Trek Emonda, Trek Madone, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cannondale Systemsix, Focus Izalco Max, and models with FSA ACR System like Merida Reacto, BH G8, Bianchi Oltre XR4"
They also state that "We are working on more models for the likes of Ridley Helium, Factor O2, Factor Ostro."

To my eyes the headsets of venge and SL7 are similar but they need not necessarily be the same. You might find that out through Specialized.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvq

by dvq

Paid the remaining balance on RDC through C100 today shipping to USA. Ordered some new SRAM Force to go with it and a BBInf.

renegade1848

by renegade1848

dsveddy wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:31 pm
Has anyone else had issues with seatpost creak/lateral play? I'm now realizing that the seatpost fits VERY slopily in the seat tube, and the compressor does very little to stabilize it. I get about 1 degree of side to side laterally (in the "roll axis") and it creaks like hell. Anyone else have this issue?
Not quite es bad, but even with a little bit of over-torque and plenty of carbon paste, I get a creak every time I'm getting up or sitting down. I had constant creaking during riding in the saddle, but that was fixed by just chopping the post by 3 cm. As described here before, if the post gets in contact with the seat tube area where it joins the seatstays, the position gets skewed, resulting in creaking.

For now I'm just glad I don't have slippage, and as soon as I can find the time and have my position dialed in for good, I'll give the post a couple of layers of 2K clear coat to give it a tighter fit. Ultimately, I will probably create a custom wedge that provides more contact area. If that fits with the area available, that is.

It's a nusance that you have to deal with this, but the SEKA is by for not the only brand that is suffering from these integrated seat clamp issues.

dsveddy

by dsveddy

Some updates on my frame gremlins:

I’ve had issues with a creaky/slipping/wiggling seatpost. I’ll claim some responsibility for causing creaking issues by over-torquing my grub screw, causing it to partially strip, and in turn making it wiggly, causing creaking. I’ll also take responsibility for being a fat American, coming in at nearly 80kg, I’m guessing Seka wasn’t designing their bike with that much heft in mind considering this is a Chinese-market frame.

That being said, fundamentally I don’t think Seka are using a sound seatpost design.

The small plastic seatpost compressor is the most marginal design you can imagine. All your lateral stability on the Seka comes from the precision of the seatpost fit into the seat tube, and then grub screw itself is responsible for providing the rest of the stability. The small plastic design of the compressor also makes it highly dependent on the precision of fit to provide contact area for good vertical grip force, as well as to eliminate the elasticity of the interface, which would undermine grip force. Unfortunately, the precision of the fit is bad. There is something like 0.2mm margin all-around the perimeter between the seatpost and seat tube. As a result, the seatpost can laterally wag side-to-side a degree or so, and the grub screw creaks whenever the post moves. Lastly, like I (and others) have said before, the spec seatpost is way too long, the bottom hits the seat tube cutout, even when inserted at fairly normal heights (mine is at the 11.5cm mark). This means that the seat tube will push your seatpost back, further undermining the interface between the compressor and seatpost. There is nothing inside the seat tube to catch a slipping post, so if your post slips down, it actually gets trapped in the taper of the seat tube cutout, and you will need to use force (like a rubber mallet) to pound out your seatpost, and pray you haven’t broken anything in the process.

So, here’s what I’ve done to remedy my issues and what my recommendations are.

For starters, if you’re building a new frame: 1) DONT RIDE IT UNTIL you’ve cut away enough post to avoid hitting the cutout at your seatpost height. 2) DONT RIDE WITHOUT CARBON GRIP PASTE. Park tool’s has worked well for me. 3) grease the grub screw well, and seriously, don’t play around with overtorqueing the grub screw until you’ve tried suggestions 1 & 2. Mine started to shred around 8nm.

I’ve remedied my seatpost slop by putting a few layers of paper soaked in carbon grip paste (paper is in fact incompressible once compacted!) around the back half of the post to take up this slop, which has more or less fixed this issue.

I say this really comes down to Seka because when you look at other manufacturers’ seatpost designs, it’s clear they’ve designed to avoid these issues. Specialized and Giant are using metal compresor wedges with 2-3x as much contact area, and they wrap around the post profile much more than the Seka. They also use an expander design that wedges between the frame and the post, which provides more lateral stability across a larger contact area. This means that even if their seat tubes/seatpost interfaces are sloppy, the compressor wedge effectively takes it up and stabilizes the post.

At the very least, Seka could be speccing a larger compressor wedge, and a larger diameter grub screw that has more lateral/axial stiffness than that measly m6 screw. I think Seka could even easily issue larger, metal replacement wedges as a “bug fix”, which would go a long way to addressing these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kubackjeee

by Kubackjeee

How is the QED crank doing?
Scott addict rc
Specialized Diverge e5 comp 2019

dsveddy

by dsveddy

Kubackjeee wrote:How is the QED crank doing?
So it’s been mixed. I think they fixed the fundamental issues with the P325CS wrt arm stiffness and spindle alignment. As a power meter, it not so sure, the algorithm seems to do a lot of smoothing compared to my qarq. It’s consistent enough to be a training tool but I suspect it drops a few strokes here and there like GP llama demonstrated with the old 325.

My main issue is the chainring isn’t very true, making it hard to set the front derailleur. The problem was salient in the beginning, then became less of a problem when I dialed in my front derailleur, and now that I switched to a Ultegra R8000 unit, has been an issue again. I’m going to try and claim warranty against it.

liam7020

by liam7020

Does anyone know if it's possible to get 2.5mm headset spacers for the Exceed? Cheers
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Wouser

by Wouser

dsveddy wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:44 pm

Weight is 16.6lb. I have purchased a pair of zrace brake calipers and and ultegra front mech, so the weight should be coming down soon Image
Full build accounting here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... KfrCU/edit
Hey I see you got the flatmount ZRACE XG's. Any Idea how they would compare to shimano calipers. I was wondering if they offer better disc clearance and how reliable they would be. Can't find much about them yet.

dsveddy

by dsveddy

Wouser wrote:
dsveddy wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:44 pm

Weight is 16.6lb. I have purchased a pair of zrace brake calipers and and ultegra front mech, so the weight should be coming down soon Image
Full build accounting here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... KfrCU/edit
Hey I see you got the flatmount ZRACE XG's. Any Idea how they would compare to shimano calipers. I was wondering if they offer better disc clearance and how reliable they would be. Can't find much about them yet.
I don’t recommend them, they have uneven pad travel because the hose blocks the inboard cylinder port unless you run the end super short. They are also 5mm wider than the Ltwoo brakes, which is not-aero.

Power and modulation feel the same as stock Ltwoo.

Not really worth it for 100g savings imo. At that point I’d rather spring for real hope calipers, which aren’t that expensive anyways.

shrink

by shrink

Does anyone know the spec of Seka Exceed's aero seat tube? Where can I find a (non-Seka) replacement? Cycling100 stopped selling it on their website and didn't respond to my inquiry. Thanks!

ChaosMuppet

by ChaosMuppet

shrink wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:26 pm
Does anyone know the spec of Seka Exceed's aero seat tube? Where can I find a (non-Seka) replacement? Cycling100 stopped selling it on their website and didn't respond to my inquiry. Thanks!
There is probably no common spec to buy a third party replacement. However, SEKA are working on their own international webshop, so there should be an option to buy a new seat post soon.

dvq

by dvq

Even after paying for the remainder with C100 I had to follow up with multiple times and eventually get SEKA involved to get the frame shipped after 2 weeks -- finally have a tracking number now.

This is just pulling teeth with everyone involved, legitimately one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a retailer. This experience is only eclipsed by the wait (going on 2 years) and lack of communication I've had waiting for the upcoming Lotus Emira.

cb6dro

by cb6dro

dvq wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:40 am
Even after paying for the remainder with C100 I had to follow up with multiple times and eventually get SEKA involved to get the frame shipped after 2 weeks -- finally have a tracking number now.

This is just pulling teeth with everyone involved, legitimately one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a retailer. This experience is only eclipsed by the wait (going on 2 years) and lack of communication I've had waiting for the upcoming Lotus Emira.
Thanks for the update, mine in theory should be at that stage in a week or so. Going off your experience I think I'll immediately contact Seka after paying the balance to C100, rather than relying on them to inform Seka.

SekaSpain

by SekaSpain

Hi all!

Some people contacted me by email asking for an extra Rear Derailleur Hanger. Please tell me if it would be interesting to get more parts.

MSRP is 29 EURO and shipping would be as cheap as we can get it.

Any admin, please contact me cause I dont wanna spam and I really dont know what I can and what I cannot say. Just dont wanna sh*tpost the forum.

Regards,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dsveddy

by dsveddy

SekaSpain wrote:Hi all!

Some people contacted me by email asking for an extra Rear Derailleur Hanger. Please tell me if it would be interesting to get more parts.

MSRP is 29 EURO and shipping would be as cheap as we can get it.

Any admin, please contact me cause I dont wanna spam and I really dont know what I can and what I cannot say. Just dont wanna sh*tpost the forum.

Regards,
I would be interested in buying a shimano direct mount hanger. Currently the only alternative is C100, which is crazy expensive to get to the US.