Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zorka

by Zorka

morrisond wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:54 pm
Zorka wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:15 pm
After setting my SR 12s mechanical rear derailleur, I can´t get the chain on the largest sprocket when the chain is on the largest chainring.
Is that ok? In small chainring it shifts on the largest cog without problems.
I know it´s not ok to ride that combination, I just want to know if the rear mech is set properly or not.
I followed Campag´s manual. Cassette is 11-32 and chainset 52/36.

Thanks guys.
What did the RD look like in that combination? Is the chain too short?
The chain was shortened as per Campy instructions. Will post the pics later.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Zorka wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:00 pm
morrisond wrote:
Zorka wrote:
After setting my SR 12s mechanical rear derailleur, I can´t get the chain on the largest sprocket when the chain is on the largest chainring.
I know it´s not ok to ride that combination, I just want to know if the rear mech is set properly or not.

Thanks guys.
If your chain length is correct and the low limit screw is fine then add some cable tension (turn barrel adjuster coucounterclockwise a couple of notches). This may help the RD 'climb' onto the largest cassette cog.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zorka

by Zorka

Nickldn wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:26 pm
Zorka wrote:
morrisond wrote:
Zorka wrote:

Thanks guys.
If your chain length is correct and the low limit screw is fine then add some cable tension (turn barrel adjuster coucounterclockwise a couple of notches). This may help the RD 'climb' onto the largest cassette cog.
Chain length is 100% correct, shortened accordingly to chainstay length as per Campy instructions.
I already tried adding a bit of cable tension, the mech was able to jump on the largest cog, but then the shifting on the smaller cogs wasn´t good.
I followed the manual step by step and it should be installed correctly (not my first build), including B-screw setup. Otherwise it shifts great, except that big - big rings combo.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Zorka wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:34 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:26 pm
Zorka wrote:
morrisond wrote:

Chain length is 100% correct, shortened accordingly to chainstay length as per Campy instructions.
I already tried adding a bit of cable tension, the mech was able to jump on the largest cog, but then the shifting on the smaller cogs wasn´t good.
I followed the manual step by step and it should be installed correctly (not my first build), including B-screw setup. Otherwise it shifts great, except that big - big rings combo.
So what you're saying is that it will go into the large-large combo happily once you dial up the cable tension, but then it won't shift down to the smaller cogs due to there being too much tension? How far down does it get?

Is that's the case it may be down to too much friction in the gear cable due to the routing. Are you using the maximum smoothness inner/outer and all ferrules? Is the cable path smooth and do you have enough outer to loop nicely between the chainstay and RD?

Campy 12s can be a pain to set up, but it's magical once it's working. It took me ages to get my Chorus RD to run silently, main issue being a bent RD hanger.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

Zorka

by Zorka

When I adjust the cable tension to get the chain onto the largest cog, the chain can get down to the smallest sprocket, but is very loud across the range and doesn´t jump between cogs easily (sometimes takes 2 clicks to shift down).

Yes, maximum smoothness cableset was used. The cable moves very smoothly in the housing and the loop is big enough I think.

I attached pics:

1. 52-11 gearing
2. rear mech trying to shift 52-32
3. 36-32 gearing
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

cauxxx

by cauxxx

hi guys,
i looking for the answer but not found yet with long term review,
1. is anyone here tried using 12s shimano cassette on campy 12s? i using 12s chorus db
2. what kind brakepad and rotor can fit chorus 12s? original campy seems pricy to me,
thanks before

de rosa merak 2020

Yoaqim

by Yoaqim

Zorka wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:45 am
When I adjust the cable tension to get the chain onto the largest cog, the chain can get down to the smallest sprocket, but is very loud across the range and doesn´t jump between cogs easily (sometimes takes 2 clicks to shift down).

Yes, maximum smoothness cableset was used. The cable moves very smoothly in the housing and the loop is big enough I think.

I attached pics:

1. 52-11 gearing
3. 36-32 gearing
I had a similar problem with a direct hanger from Sigeyi. After changing back to the original hanger and the Campy extension rod, changing gears worked smoothly over the entire range. The Sigeyi direct hanger positions the upper jockey pulley at a slightly different spot. No promise it works in your case but it is worth a try.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Zorka wrote:

Not sure if there is much else I could suggest. If the cable is fine and the upper pully aligns with the small cog then the RD hanger may be an issue. The Campy 12s setup seems (unsurprisingly) more sensitive to this than 11s.

Could be alignment, or maybe something not quite right in the setup linking the RD to the DM hanger. If you have the parts trying the normal non-DM hanger would be a good next step.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Zorka wrote:
The chain length looks correct from the photos. These derailleurs are super sensitive to B-screw setting, but even if not set properly it should not cause these issues you describe.
Please try setting the shifting as per Campy instructions (5th cog) and make sure the low limit screw is not getting in the way wheun shifting to 32. If this won't help I'd look at the hanger.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

cauxxx wrote:hi guys,
i looking for the answer but not found yet with long term review,
1. is anyone here tried using 12s shimano cassette on campy 12s? i using 12s chorus db
2. what kind brakepad and rotor can fit chorus 12s? original campy seems pricy to me,
thanks before

de rosa merak 2020
You’re concerned about the cost of pads & rotors but stumped up top dollar for a Merak? Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller

by Miller

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:43 am
You’re concerned about the cost of pads & rotors but stumped up top dollar for a Merak? Wow!
To be fair, the Campag DB310 pads go for £30-£40 per pair in UK which is painful for a wear item. After market pads are available especially if you search for pads for Magura MT2/4/6/8 which fit campag calipers. I note that at least for Ekar brakes you need pads with a spring.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Miller wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:58 am
ultimobici wrote:
To be fair, the Campag DB310 pads go for £30-£40 per pair in UK which is painful for a wear item. After market pads are available especially if you search for pads for Magura MT2/4/6/8 which fit campag calipers. I note that at least for Ekar brakes you need pads with a spring.
I call BS. While DB-310 have a RRP of £39, but Shimano aren't far behind at £35. But Chorus/Ekar rotors are cheaper than their Shimano equivalent. For that matter AFS rotors for Record & Super Record are also cheaper than those same rotors. Cassettes are slightly more expensive, but in my experience they last longer than Shimano ones. Swapping out any of the above is a false economy IMO as you're comromising on performance to save a few quid. Also, running a Shimano cassette and or chain on a Campagnolo system is likely to accelerate wear negating any savings on their initial purchase.

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:09 am
Miller wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:58 am
ultimobici wrote:
I call BS. While DB-310 have a RRP of £39, but Shimano aren't far behind at £35. But Chorus/Ekar rotors are cheaper than their Shimano equivalent. For that matter AFS rotors for Record & Super Record are also cheaper than those same rotors. Cassettes are slightly more expensive, but in my experience they last longer than Shimano ones. Swapping out any of the above is a false economy IMO as you're comromising on performance to save a few quid. Also, running a Shimano cassette and or chain on a Campagnolo system is likely to accelerate wear negating any savings on their initial purchase.
Campagnolo road pads are a bit more expensive but you can get cheaper Magura or other forms that work fine. EKAR pads with the spring are easier but for $40 they last a good long time. Again, I find Campagnolo stuff to just be a better quality and to last longer.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

Zorka

by Zorka

Yoaqim wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:03 am
Zorka wrote:

I attached pics:

1. 52-11 gearing
3. 36-32 gearing
I had a similar problem with a direct hanger from Sigeyi. After changing back to the original hanger and the Campy extension rod, changing gears worked smoothly over the entire range. The Sigeyi direct hanger positions the upper jockey pulley at a slightly different spot. No promise it works in your case but it is worth a try.
Great to hear back from someone using the same direct mount hanger.
Unfortunately I don´t have the original Canyon hanger. What´s more I broke the Sigeyi hanger this weekend (crash during race) so have to order one soon, either Canyon or Sigeyi.
But I like the stiffness of Sigeyi and it did it´s job to protect the frame and derailleur in crash. TBH it looks much better quality than original Canyon hanger which is easy to bent.
Last edited by Zorka on Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zorka

by Zorka

Nickldn wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:38 am
Zorka wrote:

Not sure if there is much else I could suggest. If the cable is fine and the upper pully aligns with the small cog then the RD hanger may be an issue. The Campy 12s setup seems (unsurprisingly) more sensitive to this than 11s.

Could be alignment, or maybe something not quite right in the setup linking the RD to the DM hanger. If you have the parts trying the normal non-DM hanger would be a good next step.
No problem mate. Cableset is almost new and smallest cog is aligned perfectly. I also think the hanger was maybe a bit bent, but I have to order new one (see my previous post).
Maybe I´ll order non-DM hanger from Canyon first (it´s cheaper than Sigeyi) and try the shifting.
Another thing I heard about is the spacer behind the Campy 12s cassette. No info from Campagnolo directly, but for example Mavic hub requires to install 0.55mm spacer behind Campy cassette.