new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ValPiti87

by ValPiti87

hoosierdaddy wrote:Tarmac SL8 confirmed for TdF launch! The one-piece bar will be launched with it, no info on if customers can select width/stem length unfortunately.
No source, no credibility Image

Enviado desde mi SM-A526B mediante Tapatalk

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Getting an SL7 so not to keen on the 8, but come on. Tell us more...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Roaringwaffle wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:15 pm
BenCousins wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:10 pm
Roaringwaffle wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:19 pm
voicycle wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:45 pm
New Emonda ALR announced today. Not particularly WW but perhaps of interest to some:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2023-trek-emonda-alr/
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/updat ... ing-300425
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trek-r ... ero-tubes/
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/trek ... han-before

I can't really see what it has over either the Allez Sprint as a crit racer or the CAAD13 as a winter racer though?
I think we see a slow return to aluminium bikes because both cost and environmental issues (AL is indeed much better than Carbon on that respect). It looks like a honest road bike for those who are interested in a more affordable road bike, not necessarily a "niche" bike like the Allez or a heavy duty bike like the CAAD
I think it's more like the return of steel around when we transitioned to alloy: i.e. hipsters.
Aluminium is cheaper and has seen a lot of improvement recently. I don't see why it should be limited to hipsters. A high-quality aluminium frame remains better than a cheap carbon. I will soon update my old carbon bike and I am considering AL as I want a fast, stiff bike and carbon is so expensive
Go back to 2006 and swap out the words 'aluminium' for 'steel'.

hoosierdaddy

by hoosierdaddy

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:01 pm
Slightly lighter, slightly more aero (one-piece bar), and still holding true to the "one bike to rule them all" idea. Basically a refined SL7 and nothing drastically changing. I'd be surprised if new wheels drop with the SL8.

There's strong rumors that a new Venge is in the works to make use of the new UCI aero rules, but I don't have anything concrete with that. The SL8 has already been announced to dealers. The big Spesh launch this year is a new Epic, so probably no Venge until next year if it happens.

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

hoosierdaddy wrote:
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Slightly lighter, slightly more aero (one-piece bar), and still holding true to the "one bike to rule them all" idea. Basically a refined SL7 and nothing drastically changing. I'd be surprised if new wheels drop with the SL8.

There's strong rumors that a new Venge is in the works to make use of the new UCI aero rules, but I don't have anything concrete with that. The SL8 has already been announced to dealers. The big Spesh launch this year is a new Epic, so probably no Venge until next year if it happens.
Cmon spesh!!! Bring back the venge now!!!! Thanks for the info tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

hoosierdaddy wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:48 pm
CAAD8FRED wrote:

Will Geo between the 7 and 8 be the same?

Roaringwaffle

by Roaringwaffle

BenCousins wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:30 pm
Roaringwaffle wrote:
BenCousins wrote:
Roaringwaffle wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:19 pm

I think we see a slow return to aluminium bikes because both cost and environmental issues (AL is indeed much better than Carbon on that respect). It looks like a honest road bike for those who are interested in a more affordable road bike, not necessarily a "niche" bike like the Allez or a heavy duty bike like the CAAD
I think it's more like the return of steel around when we transitioned to alloy: i.e. hipsters.
Aluminium is cheaper and has seen a lot of improvement recently. I don't see why it should be limited to hipsters. A high-quality aluminium frame remains better than a cheap carbon. I will soon update my old carbon bike and I am considering AL as I want a fast, stiff bike and carbon is so expensive
Things change, and bike prices have shot through the roof.

cajer

by cajer

Roaringwaffle wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:06 pm
BenCousins wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:30 pm
Roaringwaffle wrote:
BenCousins wrote:

Things change, and bike prices have shot through the roof.
The manufacturing costs have little impact on actual bike pricing once you're above 1000$ ish bikes.
Last edited by cajer on Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

hoosierdaddy wrote:
CAAD8FRED wrote:

Any word if the BB is still BSA?

tmrace

by tmrace

hoosierdaddy wrote:
CAAD8FRED wrote:

New bar stem is only 1 watt more aero than the current two piece handlebar and stem. The main benefits will be looks and some weight savings.

ichobi

by ichobi

Is the frame shape still similar tho?

RDY

by RDY

hoosierdaddy wrote:
CAAD8FRED wrote:

None of my contacts with connections to Specialized have heard anything about a new Venge being released. I'm sure a load of CAD drawings exist, but whether they move ahead with any next year (this year no chance) is another matter. If the SL8 sells well, it's unlikely they'll do it for a good while.

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

RDY wrote:
hoosierdaddy wrote:
CAAD8FRED wrote:

None of my contacts with connections to Specialized have heard anything about a new Venge being released. I'm sure a load of CAD drawings exist, but whether they move ahead with any next year (this year no chance) is another matter. If the SL8 sells well, it's unlikely they'll do it for a good while.
I really don’t understand why they wouldn’t release a dedicated aero bike with the new UCI regs. More than any other brand they are so well prepared to build an aero bike because they have their own wind tunnel. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

The only reason that would make sense to me is if the SL8 has some huge aero gains that mean they wouldn’t be able to make anything faster.

RDY

by RDY

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:20 pm
RDY wrote:
hoosierdaddy wrote:
CAAD8FRED wrote:

I really don’t understand why they wouldn’t release a dedicated aero bike with the new UCI regs. More than any other brand they are so well prepared to build an aero bike because they have their own wind tunnel. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

The only reason that would make sense to me is if the SL8 has some huge aero gains that mean they wouldn’t be able to make anything faster.

The same reason they canned the Venge. Not because it was a bad seller, but because they thought they could sell just as many if not more SL7s without a Venge. They were right and it's more profitable.

Also, even if they think they'll sell shedloads initially (they probably would), will those sales be sustained in following model years? Aethos hasn't and must be very close to the chopping block.

They'll bring back a dedicated aero bike at some point, but soon after the SL8 launch (unless it flops), very unlikely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

RDY wrote:
mrbrown4001 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:20 pm
RDY wrote:
hoosierdaddy wrote:

The same reason they canned the Venge. Not because it was a bad seller, but because they thought they could sell just as many if not more SL7s without a Venge. They were right and it's more profitable.

Also, even if they think they'll sell shedloads initially (they probably would), will those sales be sustained in following model years? Aethos hasn't and must be very close to the chopping block.

They'll bring back a dedicated aero bike at some point, but soon after the SL8 launch (unless it flops), very unlikely.
#riderfirstengineering…..until we find a better way to make profits