Chinese kit brands coming into their own?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tarmackev

by tarmackev

robertbb wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:12 am
Chlorophyll15 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:36 am
Let's please keep the thread on topic and avoid geopolitical discussions in here.
This is important. Nothing could be more important. And it is very much on topic - China is being singled out by OP (hint: read the title) and I am responding to this as is my right and (I feel) my obligation.
I love my chinese neighbours, I'll continue to buy from Ali EXpress. :lol:

otnemem

by otnemem

robertbb wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:12 am
This is important. Nothing could be more important. And it is very much on topic - China is being singled out by OP (hint: read the title) and I am responding to this as is my right and (I feel) my obligation.
Well said.

Most of my kit is Assos. Castelli for accessories. Cheaper stuff if needs be, dhb or decathlon. Chinese stuff to wear? No. Hard no.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

I bought a few kits and jerseys from Aliexpress...all of which I have never worn. I bought them more for curiosity and to gauge how well they're made with good materials. Not anywhere close to useable even on indoor trainer. Materials don't breathe and poor quality construction including poor printing of graphics. Often fuzzy and misaligned.
I bought a few from different places to make sure if it was just one manufacturer but I suspect that they all buy from the same place. So despite their cheap pricing...if you don't use them, they're worthless. I donated them to a nearby recycle (bike) place.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kode54 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:47 pm
I bought a few kits and jerseys from Aliexpress...all of which I have never worn. I bought them more for curiosity and to gauge how well they're made with good materials. Not anywhere close to useable even on indoor trainer. Materials don't breathe and poor quality construction including poor printing of graphics. Often fuzzy and misaligned.
I bought a few from different places to make sure if it was just one manufacturer but I suspect that they all buy from the same place. So despite their cheap pricing...if you don't use them, they're worthless. I donated them to a nearby recycle (bike) place.
this is pretty much my opinion as well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

micky

by micky

To answer the OP, "Chinese kits brands coming into their own" don't sell on Aliexpress, they are on taobao.
Brands like CCN, Jakroo, etcetc have been around for a while.
I think I visited CCN factory in Shenzhen over 10 years ago.

RDY

by RDY

robertbb wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:11 am
Don't buy anything from Chinese manufacturers. Clothes, parts.... anything.

The Chinese are using the money they make from selling you cheap goods (made with materials no doubt reverse-engineered and/or plagiarised from textile manufacturers who invest in R&D) to buy houses in your local area which they will never, ever sell - choosing instead to rent them out to you, in your own country.

I don't know how old you are, how you're positioned financially, but spare a thought for the flow-on effects of where your money is going and what they're doing with it.

This is not "racism" nor is it fearmongering, this is happening all around the world. USA, Canada, Australia, Western Europe.... modern warfare is being fought on the asset and ownership front. There will be no prizes for second place. Avoid Chinese goods at all possible opportunities, even if it means wearing decathlon stuff made in Europe or in India, or in Indonesia, or in Vietnam (which are also being raped by the Chinese).
Are you sure about that? There's plenty you could have said about the ethnic cleansing going on in the Far West of China, or the yoke of debt financed infrastructure in the developing world, but instead you choose 'not in my backyard' property owners purely because they're foreign. Sure seems like xenophobia at a minimum. I'm going to take a wild guess that you're probably not aboriginal, so your outrage at others 'colonizing' Australia seems funny.

And re: the guy agreeing with you, Decathlon / dhb stuff is typically made at very cheap Chinese-owned factories in Vietnam or China.

Alfus

by Alfus

kode54 wrote:
Brand?

kode54

by kode54

I don't remember. I bought maybe 5 different ones from 5 different sellers just to see out of curiosity. All of which were not great. I have been impressed with the carbon parts on the other hand as the quality has improved tremendously. Bought a light seatpost for a friends Caledonia 5. Quality was top notch. I bought the clothing to see who was doing what and it was more of a cross section. I donated them recently so can't recall...bought last year from Aliexpress and deleted after receipt of items.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

inertianinja

by inertianinja

kode54 wrote:

That's actually what I was talking about with this post. This was my exact experience with jerseys years ago, particularly with jerseys that were mimicking other brands. You'd get the same ill-fitting generic old-style jersey, just with another brand's design printed on.

I noticed however that some brands are doing their own thing now, with apparently modern fabrics and solid colors.

For example I have new kit from Ostroy and Universal Coulors that is the same or similar fabric as new stuff from Spexcel. Fit isn't the same, but the jerseys are certainly rideable.

kode54

by kode54

Interesting. I think out of all of them, Spexcel had the jump early on and has improved over time. I did buy one of their jerseys over a year ago and felt much different than other Chinese garments. I still didn’t care for them so never checked out their current gear. I never bought any bibs as that’s more important that the summer jerseys where you can wear just bout anything.

BTW, Ostro and Universal Colours not my favorite jerseys. I much prefer MAAP (all including bib shorts) or Rapha Pro Team (not regular).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

misteryellow

by misteryellow

inertianinja wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:58 pm
Years ago I started experimenting with kit from Aliexpres, just because I wanted some cheap jerseys for early morning training rides. Back then they were usually crap-tier jerseys and bibs with junk chamois, printed to minic Rapha kit, with weird square fits.

Lately a few brands have come into their own with better (unique) designs, and fabrics that seem - to me - to be identical to kit from larger brands that I own. I'm finding it difficult to justify spending $200 for a solid-color jersey from a major brand lately....if the fabrics are (apparently) the same, the quality is the same, and it's a plain black jersey, why am I paying 5x-10x the price for the brand.

Spexcel for example, IMO has been killing it lately. Although I've had an occasional bad fit (recent wind jacket purchase had arms way too short for me), I probably wouldn't hesitate to keep buying from them.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
You are not 'just paying for the brand'. In fact I would argue many buyers overstate the margins companies make. European companies employ people and pay them fair wages. They also adhere to much stricted safety etc guidelines. Furthermore, they invest in cycling. The industry could not exist without sponsors. Lastly, European companies are much more sustainable. Take a brand like Isadore. Lastly, European companies invest much more in R&D (like Q.36.5), which gets stolen by Chinese. Chinese companies also have an unfair economic advantage over European companies with Chinese companies getting subsidized shipping rates. Whether any of these factors interest you the short term is up to you but on the long term it can have devastating consequences which many consumers have not yet realised. But such is not the scope of your question.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I get Gobik stuff on sale and it's inexpensive and great quality.

Alfus

by Alfus

OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:51 am
I get Gobik stuff on sale and it's inexpensive and great quality.
But is not chinese, it' Spanish

otnemem

by otnemem

misteryellow wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:25 pm
You are not 'just paying for the brand'. In fact I would argue many buyers overstate the margins companies make. European companies employ people and pay them fair wages. They also adhere to much stricted safety etc guidelines. Furthermore, they invest in cycling. The industry could not exist without sponsors. Lastly, European companies are much more sustainable. Take a brand like Isadore. Lastly, European companies invest much more in R&D (like Q.36.5), which gets stolen by Chinese. Chinese companies also have an unfair economic advantage over European companies with Chinese companies getting subsidized shipping rates. Whether any of these factors interest you the short term is up to you but on the long term it can have devastating consequences which many consumers have not yet realised. But such is not the scope of your question.
Preach.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mendiz

by mendiz

Gobik is very bad quality, the reason of success is Alberto Contador and a lot of influencers in Instagram, too Juan Antonio Flecha
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.