Dan Bigham says not using aero socks is dumb am I being dumb v.2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus

by spartacus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab58K2JfhGo

OK not exactly his words. But man, aero socks, talk about lame. That said, he seems serious and they were the first thing be mentions, maybe there's something to it.

Am I being dumb by not using aero socks?

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

I'd like to try the Silca aero socks as they aren't goofy looking like the spandex looking ones but man....$30 for a pair of socks is a bit ridiculous.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:54 pm
I'd like to try the Silca aero socks as they aren't goofy looking like the spandex looking ones but man....$30 for a pair of socks is a bit ridiculous.
If they actually save any measurable amount of watts then $30 is a great deal!

And again, normally this is like an insta-close-the-tab for me type of thing but the video...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I don't wear aero socks when I train. I do wear aero socks when I race. Pretty easy decision there.

I do not wear Silca's aero socks as I have no issues with keeping them in place during races.

Aress

by Aress

Like Tobin I only run aero socks when I race, I use Rule 28 socks and men i feel like *f##k* flying every time I wear them.
Maybe it is psychological but based on the data from rule 28 they are 14w faster at 45kph than normal socks

In doubt, it cost nothing to run them.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

A few bucks on AliExpress. They are the spandex/lycra ones, but for what they cost... may as well.

On a related note, according to the guys at Swiss Side, shaving your legs is worth 14W at 45km/hr. These are both supercheap ways to improve your aero for race day.

You may as well jump in with both feet.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

The difference between Silca socks vs some other normal socks was in the noise for me. Dominated by head position noise.

But Velotec aero socks and overshoes like Velotoze had enough gains that I was able to get signal out.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

spartacus wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:47 pm
Am I being dumb by not using aero socks?
Are you racing?

RDY

by RDY

Anyone know of any aero socks for large feet / long lower leg? They basically don't exist if you have big feet and long lower leg - because they come up way too short.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Silca aero socks are actually just excellent socks. Easy to put on and easy to wear. Normal aero socks are a complete PITA by comparison.The only thing for prospedtive buyers is that they run small. I buy XL for my 43.5 shoes size.

robeambro

by robeambro

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:57 am
Silca aero socks are actually just excellent socks. Easy to put on and easy to wear. Normal aero socks are a complete PITA by comparison.The only thing for prospedtive buyers is that they run small. I buy XL for my 43.5 shoes size.

My experience with them was pretty poor, they lasted a few weeks before 3 out of 4 socks got holes in them. Regular use, nothing extreme. The UK retailer for Silca wouldn't even refund it, saying it was my fault for not using them as intended.. Unless I deleted my negative review on their website (which they had not even published until I chased for it twice.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

robeambro wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:37 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:57 am

My experience with them was pretty poor, they lasted a few weeks before 3 out of 4 socks got holes in them. Regular use, nothing extreme. The UK retailer for Silca wouldn't even refund it, saying it was my fault for not using them as intended.. Unless I deleted my negative review on their website (which they had not even published until I chased for it twice.
I had issues with Le Col aero socks after a few months' use. The socks stretched with minimal use and would no longer stay up on my calves and looked crinkled. Not very aero.

Le Col provided a replacement without quibbling. Exemplary customer service.

Replacement socks have lasted well. Would buy again.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

I have rule 28 and socks for watts. The rule 28 are longer but love the colours on them. Need shaved legs to stay up. I use them for racing/chasing KOMs
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

GaBa

by GaBa

How about FSOTP, does anyone have experience with them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

RDY wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:47 am
Anyone know of any aero socks for large feet / long lower leg? They basically don't exist if you have big feet and long lower leg - because they come up way too short.
I recently got a pair of Shimano S-Phyre socks, just because they matched my shoes, and I've been really impressed with them. They're compressive enough to be snug and stay in place wherever you put them, but they're also very flexible and I can comfortably stretch mine up inches higher than they need to be.

I'm wearing an XL for size 46 toes and with the extra inches I could pull these past my toes (again stressing these stretch comfortably), I'd guess they'd fit size 49 without getting in too much stretch... and they's still easily get to the mid-point of the calves. I'm 192cm and these reach the UCI legal limit on me very easily.

Added bonus, these manage moisture better than any socks I've ever used. I've only used them indoors so far ('cause you know, I need those aero gains on stationary rides!), but normally my feet are dripping by the time I finish and with the S-Phyre socks they've been able to manage moisture every ride with no pooling or dripping from my shoes. It's like they have a hollow structure for the aero-ribs that helps everying stay dry.