Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wannabefast
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:50 pm

by wannabefast

WheresWaldo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:11 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:13 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:41 pm
If you ever wanted to mount your Varia sideways, I built this mount for someone. I have permission to report the images here.
This is exactly how I want to mount my Varia.... did you ever post this model for sale? I could not find it on Shapeways.
Yep, it is here;
http://shpws.me/SMi8n or this link; https://www.shapeways.com/product/LPX35 ... unt-insert
That looks great! Wish it was available when I ordered my Varia mount, the horizontal orientation is so much tidier than vertical.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



CrankAddictsRich
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm
Contact:

by CrankAddictsRich

wannabefast wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:20 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:11 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:13 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:41 pm
If you ever wanted to mount your Varia sideways, I built this mount for someone. I have permission to report the images here.
This is exactly how I want to mount my Varia.... did you ever post this model for sale? I could not find it on Shapeways.
Yep, it is here;
http://shpws.me/SMi8n or this link; https://www.shapeways.com/product/LPX35 ... unt-insert
That looks great! Wish it was available when I ordered my Varia mount, the horizontal orientation is so much tidier than vertical.
you don't have to wish... you can order it now.

tenja
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 3:40 am

by tenja

WheresWaldo - Please contact me. Need to order another canted SWAT varia mount and can't PM direct now. Not sure why, but can't reply to you on PM. Want to order the exact same as before for new bike.

User avatar
WheresWaldo
in the industry
Posts: 882
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:52 am
Location: North Carolina

by WheresWaldo

tenja wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:43 pm
WheresWaldo - Please contact me. Need to order another canted SWAT varia mount and can't PM direct now. Not sure why, but can't reply to you on PM. Want to order the exact same as before for new bike.
PM Sent

tenja
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 3:40 am

by tenja

WheresWaldo wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:52 pm
tenja wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:43 pm
WheresWaldo - Please contact me. Need to order another canted SWAT varia mount and can't PM direct now. Not sure why, but can't reply to you on PM. Want to order the exact same as before for new bike.
PM Sent
WheresWaldo - I can't reply to PMs due to post count now. I need the Canted SWAT Varia Mount in Large size with the airtag on the front. It works great. No issues. You previously sent me a private link to order. Want to do the same. The prior link is dead now.

User avatar
WheresWaldo
in the industry
Posts: 882
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:52 am
Location: North Carolina

by WheresWaldo

tenja wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:55 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:52 pm
tenja wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:43 pm
WheresWaldo - Please contact me. Need to order another canted SWAT varia mount and can't PM direct now. Not sure why, but can't reply to you on PM. Want to order the exact same as before for new bike.
PM Sent
WheresWaldo - I can't reply to PMs due to post count now. I need the Canted SWAT Varia Mount in Large size with the airtag on the front. It works great. No issues. You previously sent me a private link to order. Want to do the same. The prior link is dead now.
http://shpws.me/T6of or https://www.shapeways.com/product/U88RL3SNN

I remember the convo now, I disabled the link because somehow I thought you would let me know if it worked. But since you are wanting another I am going to assume that it does work.

tenja
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 3:40 am

by tenja

awesome! Thanks. Ordered. Yes - confirmed it has worked perfect since April.

renoracing
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:48 am

by renoracing

I think I'm up to 12 pieces ordered from @WheresWaldo's Shapeways page and thrilled wiht each of them. I used to run seatpost mounted Varias, including some custom ones that he was able to design for me. Since switching to S-works saddles, I now have four of the Canted Swat Varia Mounts on my bikes and love them. They work really well even with my Lezyne Road Caddy saddle bags, for a really sleek setup, and Shapeways prints are far superior to just about every other 3D printed part I've purchased elsewhere.

User avatar
WheresWaldo
in the industry
Posts: 882
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:52 am
Location: North Carolina

by WheresWaldo

renoracing wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:49 pm
I think I'm up to 12 pieces ordered from @WheresWaldo's Shapeways page and thrilled wiht each of them. I used to run seatpost mounted Varias, including some custom ones that he was able to design for me. Since switching to S-works saddles, I now have four of the Canted Swat Varia Mounts on my bikes and love them. They work really well even with my Lezyne Road Caddy saddle bags, for a really sleek setup, and Shapeways prints are far superior to just about every other 3D printed part I've purchased elsewhere.
Thanks for the kind words. This is why I do this. I love cycling and want to give back to the community. Cycling saved my life and it is very important to me that others get the same joy out of cycling that I have. If I can contribute in a small way, I am happy.

bsharp77
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:52 am
Location: N.Ireland

by bsharp77

Hi all,

Looking for someone that can design a downtube mounting plate for my 2021 Giant TCR SL frameset to incorporate a Di2 bar end junction box.
I'm building up the frameset at the minute and trying to make everything as integrated and streamlined as I can.

The hole will just about take a junction box ok (some slight shaving off some of the plastic to make it fit in the cavity snugly).
This has been successfully done by CCC Pro Team - they seem to have made their own mount, but it is not available anywhere either physically or as a design file.

Image

Is there anyone here that could have a go at making one of these?!
I can take measurements and photos of both the cavity and the standard blanking plate if it helps at all.

There is another photo of someone who seems to have just cut a hole into the blanking plate and put the junction in there - not as sleek, but still functional I suppose.

Image
Willing to work with someone to get this part right even if it takes a couple of attempts as i'd really love to perfect this little mod.

Any help very much appreciated.

User avatar
WheresWaldo
in the industry
Posts: 882
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:52 am
Location: North Carolina

by WheresWaldo

bsharp77 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:05 pm
Hi all,

Looking for someone that can design a downtube mounting plate for my 2021 Giant TCR SL frameset to incorporate a Di2 bar end junction box.
I'm building up the frameset at the minute and trying to make everything as integrated and streamlined as I can.

The hole will just about take a junction box ok (some slight shaving off some of the plastic to make it fit in the cavity snugly).
This has been successfully done by CCC Pro Team - they seem to have made their own mount, but it is not available anywhere either physically or as a design file.
This looks like the stopper plate replacement, would it be easier to buy a second plate and then drill a hole for the Junction Box?
https://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-T ... il/3-46647
https://www.bike24.com/p2564055.html

bsharp77
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:52 am
Location: N.Ireland

by bsharp77

WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:31 pm
bsharp77 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:05 pm
Hi all,

Looking for someone that can design a downtube mounting plate for my 2021 Giant TCR SL frameset to incorporate a Di2 bar end junction box.
I'm building up the frameset at the minute and trying to make everything as integrated and streamlined as I can.

The hole will just about take a junction box ok (some slight shaving off some of the plastic to make it fit in the cavity snugly).
This has been successfully done by CCC Pro Team - they seem to have made their own mount, but it is not available anywhere either physically or as a design file.
This looks like the stopper plate replacement, would it be easier to buy a second plate and then drill a hole for the Junction Box?
https://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-T ... il/3-46647
https://www.bike24.com/p2564055.html

Hi Waldo,

Thats what appears to have been done in the second photo above.
I have a couple of blanking plates on order from Giant Bike Spares, but they are backordered for 2-3 weeks.

However it wouldnt be anywhere near as clean as the mount as shown in the first photo.
They have created a deeper mount, raised up from the frame which allows for the junction box to be sunk properly into the faceplate and creates a much better streamlined finish. The original Giant blanking plate is very thin and wouldnt allow any kind of finish like this (as is apparent from the second photo as the junction box sits "on top" of the blanking plate with the hole drilled into it).

If theres any magic you think you could work on this please do let me know - i'd be happy to send a blanking plate and a scaled photo showing the opening on the frame.

User avatar
WheresWaldo
in the industry
Posts: 882
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:52 am
Location: North Carolina

by WheresWaldo

@bsharp77

I would have no issues buying a blanking plate, but for some reason Giant has very little presence in the U.S., especially in my part of the mid-atlantic states. I have one Giant dealer about an hour away from me and I would venture a guess, that I would have just as long or maybe a longer backorder time getting the plate from them.

I called the local dealer and they are checking with their Giant rep to see if the part is available in the U.S. I probably won't have an answer until tomorrow.
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bsharp77
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:52 am
Location: N.Ireland

by bsharp77

WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:16 pm
@bsharp77

I would have no issues buying a blanking plate, but for some reason Giant has very little presence in the U.S., especially in my part of the mid-atlantic states. I have one Giant dealer about an hour away from me and I would venture a guess, that I would have just as long or maybe a longer backorder time getting the plate from them.
Would scale photos of the blanking plate and the cavity position on the frame be enough for you to have a go?
I imagine it's not the shape that will present the problem, but rather aligning the hole to match exactly.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



User avatar
WheresWaldo
in the industry
Posts: 882
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:52 am
Location: North Carolina

by WheresWaldo

bsharp77 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:31 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:16 pm
@bsharp77

I would have no issues buying a blanking plate, but for some reason Giant has very little presence in the U.S., especially in my part of the mid-atlantic states. I have one Giant dealer about an hour away from me and I would venture a guess, that I would have just as long or maybe a longer backorder time getting the plate from them.
Would scale photos of the blanking plate and the cavity position on the frame be enough for you to have a go?
I imagine it's not the shape that will present the problem, but rather aligning the hole to match exactly.
I called the local dealer, they are contacting their Giant rep to see if the part is available in the U.S. I might have an answer by tomorrow. With the cover in hand I can see what structure Giant placed on the back side of the cover and what I might need to work around. It would be easier if it was in my hands. We will see if that is possible. I will likely still need photos, to see what it looks like in the hole/downtube.

Post Reply