Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

robertbb wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:45 am
ipenguinking wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:05 am
Still waiting for my new cage. I'm going to ask my LBS to call Shimano Monday.

Btw anyone figured out how to quiet down the buzzing shifter? My left shifter is making this buzz noise while going over slighlty rought road at 20-22mph and it is getting worse.
I've been trying to find in this thread a description of what the issue is with the cage, and what derailleur it affects (does it affect the 105 derailleur?) but I can't seem to find it.

What's the deal here?
See this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156208&start=8760#p1762880

It appears to only affect the 12-speed Dura-Ace rear derailleur. The issue is at certain gear combinations and at specific cadence - that's how mine showed up - the chain comes into contact with the chain guard on the RD cage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ODC

by ODC

At this moment I’m riding a S-works Tarmac Sl7 with the new Dura Ace 12 speed and I’m planning to buy a S-works Aethos but it’s gonna be with Sram Red AXS.
I had a lot of problems with my Dura Ace 12 speed groupset. Rattling chain noise on 5th cog because of bad casettes (Ultegra and Dura Ace casette), creaking dura ace cassette, bad shifing with dura ace cassette, going randomly into crash mode, not impressed with the official Dura ace powermeter (big difference in power numbers compared to my older 4iiii and my wahoo kickr), connection problems between powermeter and head units….
Yeah front derailleur shifts fast but I’m done with al this shit. Maybe I gonna buy it again in 2 years when Shimano has a solution for al this shit.

robertbb

by robertbb

cat4forlife wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:09 am
robertbb wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:45 am
ipenguinking wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:05 am
Still waiting for my new cage. I'm going to ask my LBS to call Shimano Monday.

Btw anyone figured out how to quiet down the buzzing shifter? My left shifter is making this buzz noise while going over slighlty rought road at 20-22mph and it is getting worse.
I've been trying to find in this thread a description of what the issue is with the cage, and what derailleur it affects (does it affect the 105 derailleur?) but I can't seem to find it.

What's the deal here?
See this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156208&start=8760#p1762880

It appears to only affect the 12-speed Dura-Ace rear derailleur. The issue is at certain gear combinations and at specific cadence - that's how mine showed up - the chain comes into contact with the chain guard on the RD cage.
Thank you @ cat4life.

This is but one of a list of issues with the 12 speed stuff. I was going to dive in but I'm instead contemplating 11 speed GRX Di2 instead now. Especially since the 105 level 12 speed 11-36 cassette appears to be vapourware (and may also have issues when it finally appears...)

A note on Shimano cassettes generally (not just 12 speed) there are also ticking ands spacing issues with several 11 speed cassettes:

HG700/HG800 11 speed 11-34 cassettes are known to have a "ticking" issue on the 3rd largest cog. There's plenty of posts and youtube videos on this, and I experienced it myself on several of these models (including Shimano warrantied replacements) that I simply gave up.

They've had publicised issues with their M5100 11 speed 11-50 cassette.

I also experience ticking on the M5100 11 speed 11-42 cassette (this time between the smallest two cogs).

My broad perception is that there are tolerance or materials issues in their cassette factory.

Cuypmeister

by Cuypmeister

Gents, quick question. As I have swiped groupsets recently, I really wanted to have the equivalent of the 53-39 for 12 speed, so I bought the 54-40 crankset of dura-ace. The rest of my components are all Ultegra Di2, obviously 12 speed. Installed everything on my S-works aethos, but I am having the following issues:

1) The front derailleur does not shift from time to time. Like the left shifter only has sometimes connection with the front derailleur.
2) Seems the chain is going OK while shifting, however, when shifting from inner ring to outer ring (of the crankset), it gets stuck from time to time. Unfortunately with already a big scratch on my new dura-ace crankset :(

Now i am wondering: are these problems caused by the same issue? I was checking if the front derailleur is maybe the problem, and that ultegra is not compatible with dura-ace. Also the fact that the left shifter is doing "weird" (and the product is fully new, and updated with etube app) and sometimes shifts / sometimes doesn't..

Expert views please! :D

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

Cuypmeister wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:54 pm
Gents, quick question. As I have swiped groupsets recently, I really wanted to have the equivalent of the 53-39 for 12 speed, so I bought the 54-40 crankset of dura-ace. The rest of my components are all Ultegra Di2, obviously 12 speed. Installed everything on my S-works aethos, but I am having the following issues:

1) The front derailleur does not shift from time to time. Like the left shifter only has sometimes connection with the front derailleur.
2) Seems the chain is going OK while shifting, however, when shifting from inner ring to outer ring (of the crankset), it gets stuck from time to time. Unfortunately with already a big scratch on my new dura-ace crankset :(

Now i am wondering: are these problems caused by the same issue? I was checking if the front derailleur is maybe the problem, and that ultegra is not compatible with dura-ace. Also the fact that the left shifter is doing "weird" (and the product is fully new, and updated with etube app) and sometimes shifts / sometimes doesn't..
1. Are the shifters connected wirelessly? If they are, they go into sleep mode if they haven't been used in i think 30 minutes.

2. What gets stuck when going from the small ring to big?

Cuypmeister

by Cuypmeister

cat4forlife wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:06 pm
Cuypmeister wrote:

1. Are the shifters connected wirelessly? If they are, they go into sleep mode if they haven't been used in i think 30 minutes.

2. What gets stuck when going from the small ring to big?
Thanks for your fast reply!

1. Shifters are indeed connected wirelessly. How do i wake them up? Just by clicking on the 2 shift buttons? Or on the tops?
And would you recommend to connect them (read no wireless)?

2. when going from the small to big ring, the chain drops off (and blocks / gets stuck) at the outside of the crankset. I mentioned it because i thought the front derailleur of ultegra di2 might not manage to work with the 54 chainring.

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

Cuypmeister wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:11 pm

1. Shifters are indeed connected wirelessly. How do i wake them up? Just by clicking on the 2 shift buttons? Or on the tops?

2. when going from the small to big ring, the chain drops off (and blocks / gets stuck) at the outside of the crankset. I mentioned it because i thought the front derailleur of ultegra di2 might not manage to work with the 54 chainring.
1. Just press any of the buttons on the shifter to wake it up. There are pros and cons in setting up the shifters wired or wireless.
Wireless pros: No cable to route between the shifters and battery (this is especially so if you have cables that route internally in the handlebars).
Wireless cons: Battery life is worsen (some say by 50%?). As of now, firmware update on the shifters CANNOT be done wirelessly (the shifter has to be wired to the battery). You have to wake the shifters up if they have gone into sleep mode. Also, at some point you will need to replace the coin cell battery in the shifter (1.5 to 2 years official battery life).

Wired pros: The shifters don't go to sleep since they are powered by the Di2 battery. The wireless firmware update issue does not apply. Better overall Di2 battery life.
Wired cons: Depending on the setup of your bike, can be a pain in the ass initially when routing the cables internally. If you have the hyraulic shifters which contain one less Di2 port than the rim brake version, you might need an additional junction box to join cables from both shifters. Since this is the weight weenies forum, additional cables + junction box = heavier.

2. Well, officially, it does not appear the 54-40 chain ring is an option for the Ultegra crankset.

milanv

by milanv

Why not to use Ultegra front derailleur with big chainrings? It should be compatible, the construction is the same as of Dura-Ace front derailleur.

It looks like bad adjustment.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Ultegra FD is officially rated for a 52T or 50T. The curve on the Ultegra FD cage won't match the curve of a 54T. You might be able to get it to work OK by fiddling with it.

robertbb

by robertbb

cat4forlife wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:31 pm
Cuypmeister wrote:

1. Just press any of the buttons on the shifter to wake it up. There are pros and cons in setting up the shifters wired or wireless.
Wireless pros: No cable to route between the shifters and battery (this is especially so if you have cables that route internally in the handlebars).
Wireless cons: Battery life is worsen (some say by 50%?). As of now, firmware update on the shifters CANNOT be done wirelessly (the shifter has to be wired to the battery). You have to wake the shifters up if they have gone into sleep mode. Also, at some point you will need to replace the coin cell battery in the shifter (1.5 to 2 years official battery life).

Wired pros: The shifters don't go to sleep since they are powered by the Di2 battery. The wireless firmware update issue does not apply. Better overall Di2 battery life.
Wired cons: Depending on the setup of your bike, can be a pain in the ass initially when routing the cables internally. If you have the hyraulic shifters which contain one less Di2 port than the rim brake version, you might need an additional junction box to join cables from both shifters. Since this is the weight weenies forum, additional cables + junction box = heavier.

2. Well, officially, it does not appear the 54-40 chain ring is an option for the Ultegra crankset.
"Junction box"... do you mean splitter?

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

robertbb wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:01 pm
cat4forlife wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:31 pm
Cuypmeister wrote:

"Junction box"... do you mean splitter?
Yeah that's what I meant, splitter.

robertbb

by robertbb

A bit of a cross-post from me:

are there any issues reported with the 105-level 12 speed 11-34 cassette? (might the reported ticking problems be specific to the Ultegra level HG+ cassette?)

I'm considering using the 105-level plain HG version with a new Campy chorus build, as I'm not a fan of the gear progressions on Campy's own 11-34.

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

Cuypmeister wrote:

I know two people who have issue #1 that you've described and am surprised it hasn't come up here AFAICT. The right shifter works fine, the system is awake, the left shifter just doesn't work sometimes. They both warrantied their FD.

Cuypmeister

by Cuypmeister

thebikemanguy wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:41 am
Cuypmeister wrote:

I know two people who have issue #1 that you've described and am surprised it hasn't come up here AFAICT. The right shifter works fine, the system is awake, the left shifter just doesn't work sometimes. They both warrantied their FD.
Thanks for your feedback! That's what i was afraid about actually... and my guts says that is the issue, and not particularly the update of the shifters.. when i started installing the complete set several weeks ago - i did not finish because of very busy period at work - the shifters were not asking for an update via etube, but i had the same problem with the front shifter like now .

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Cuypmeister wrote:

Where did you buy your chain? From a reputable shop or from Amazon/eBay? All of the Amazon and eBay stock are fakes and will chain suck and run like crap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com