Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

ipenguinking wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:18 am
cat4forlife wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:45 pm
RD cage outer plate replacement update:

The first LBS i contacted wasn't able to give me an ETA a few weeks after they told me that they had submitted a warranty replacement claim and they were not receptive when i suggested checking with the Shimano customer support rep i have been in contact with. So i worked with a second LBS. After demonstrating the issue at the shop, they submitted a claim for me. Unfortunately, Shimano shipped them the full RD with a cage that has the original chain guard. They have since contacted Shimano and hopefully will be getting the outer plate soon. Near the end of last week, i also got a response from the first LBS that they had received the RD from Shimano. When they informed me that it was a complete RD, instead of just the outer plate, i had a strong suspicion it would not have the updated chain guard. And i was right.

In both cases, i specifically asked for the exact part number provided by Shimano so i am not really sure what went wrong. I'll find out in the next few days when the second LBS gets the outer plate.
I'm still waiting for the new outer plate which was ordered a month ago. The Shimano tech said it will take a least one month before the new plate is ready for warranty. Meanwhile the RD on my bike has been totally silent after filing the tab a little. The picture is little dark but you can see how little the tab is filed, mostly at the end with a 30-degree angle.

ImageIMG_9605 by ipenguinking, on Flickr
Shimano finally sent the updated cage to my LBS. I picked it up yesterday and installed it last night.
25915EAA-FCF1-4588-A571-D3AE434E2A29.jpeg
BD7844D6-03D9-4D41-91A1-FFD5A1ECDA8F.jpeg

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Still waiting for my new cage. I'm going to ask my LBS to call Shimano Monday.

Btw anyone figured out how to quiet down the buzzing shifter? My left shifter is making this buzz noise while going over slighlty rought road at 20-22mph and it is getting worse.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

ipenguinking wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:05 am

Btw anyone figured out how to quiet down the buzzing shifter? My left shifter is making this buzz noise while going over slighlty rought road at 20-22mph and it is getting worse.
I don't have a solution other than putting my hand on it.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

cat4forlife wrote:
ipenguinking wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:18 am
cat4forlife wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:45 pm
RD cage outer plate replacement update:

The first LBS i contacted wasn't able to give me an ETA a few weeks after they told me that they had submitted a warranty replacement claim and they were not receptive when i suggested checking with the Shimano customer support rep i have been in contact with. So i worked with a second LBS. After demonstrating the issue at the shop, they submitted a claim for me. Unfortunately, Shimano shipped them the full RD with a cage that has the original chain guard. They have since contacted Shimano and hopefully will be getting the outer plate soon. Near the end of last week, i also got a response from the first LBS that they had received the RD from Shimano. When they informed me that it was a complete RD, instead of just the outer plate, i had a strong suspicion it would not have the updated chain guard. And i was right.

In both cases, i specifically asked for the exact part number provided by Shimano so i am not really sure what went wrong. I'll find out in the next few days when the second LBS gets the outer plate.
I'm still waiting for the new outer plate which was ordered a month ago. The Shimano tech said it will take a least one month before the new plate is ready for warranty. Meanwhile the RD on my bike has been totally silent after filing the tab a little. The picture is little dark but you can see how little the tab is filed, mostly at the end with a 30-degree angle.

ImageIMG_9605 by ipenguinking, on Flickr
Shimano finally sent the updated cage to my LBS. I picked it up yesterday and installed it last night.
25915EAA-FCF1-4588-A571-D3AE434E2A29.jpeg
BD7844D6-03D9-4D41-91A1-FFD5A1ECDA8F.jpeg
Are the 11-34t cassettes still trash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I ask because I got an 11-34 R9200 cassette today to replace an 11-30 which shifted like butter. No matter what I do so far, I can’t get the same shifting performance from the new cassette. I’m using a new, properly sized chain, approximately the specced b gap and have been adjusting both my front and rear mechs. I’ve gotten it to where it seems acceptable on the stand, but it’s noisy when ridden on the Kickr Rollr. It also doesn’t help that the front derailleur seems to occasionally “forget” changes made through the app.

I really wanted the extended range, but if this is the shifting performance, it’s straight back to the 11-30.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I've been running a 11-34 and shifting is perfect. Check your installation. Make sure the cassette is not wobbly while the wheel is spinning. Remove the chain and spin the back wheel, and check for a wobbly cassette. Remove the adhesive ring at the back of the cassette to see if that helps. It could be that your 11-34 is defective but I highly doubt it. The 12-speed cassettes are more sensitive to the freehub type and installation.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

pdlpsher1 wrote:I've been running a 11-34 and shifting is perfect. Check your installation. Make sure the cassette is not wobbly while the wheel is spinning. Remove the chain and spin the back wheel, and check for a wobbly cassette. Remove the adhesive ring at the back of the cassette to see if that helps. It could be that your 11-34 is defective but I highly doubt it. The 12-speed cassettes are more sensitive to the freehub type and installation.
Thanks. Will try again tonight.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

[/quote]
[/quote]

A little behind on this but is this new cage something that is a warrantied item? Should I be asking my LBS about the updated cage?

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:56 pm
[/quote]

A little behind on this but is this new cage something that is a warrantied item? Should I be asking my LBS about the updated cage?
[/quote]

Yes, this is a warrantied item. If you are not hearing the rattle, you don't really need it.

sealucky

by sealucky

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:27 am
I ask because I got an 11-34 R9200 cassette today to replace an 11-30 which shifted like butter. No matter what I do so far, I can’t get the same shifting performance from the new cassette. I’m using a new, properly sized chain, approximately the specced b gap and have been adjusting both my front and rear mechs. I’ve gotten it to where it seems acceptable on the stand, but it’s noisy when ridden on the Kickr Rollr. It also doesn’t help that the front derailleur seems to occasionally “forget” changes made through the app.

I really wanted the extended range, but if this is the shifting performance, it’s straight back to the 11-30.

In my case the problem was solved by adjusting b-screw and the chain length (was too long) according to Shimano specs
Now the shifting is perfect, just a little noise on 5th cog (hardly noticed)

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

sealucky wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:

In my case the problem was solved by adjusting b-screw and the chain length (was too long) according to Shimano specs
It took a little work, but I think I have it 95% set now.

My FD ended up being like -12 on the big ring which struck me as a little odd, but whatever. Seems to shift well.

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Just built up a bike with a 105 rd, ultegra levers and 11-30 cassette. The cassette has the ticking as described many times in this thread. This is just temporary until I get my sponsor correct cassette. This one had been sourced within the last month so the ticking still appears to be a problem.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

sealucky

by sealucky

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:43 pm
sealucky wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:

My FD ended up being like -12 on the big ring which struck me as a little odd, but whatever. Seems to shift well.

-12?! Wow!

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

sealucky wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:43 pm
sealucky wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:

-12?! Wow!
I feel like additional adjustments have that number well down, thankfully. But, I’m wondering if that means the shop set the front derailleur up improperly.

robertbb

by robertbb

ipenguinking wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:05 am

I've been trying to find in this thread a description of what the issue is with the cage, and what derailleur it affects (does it affect the 105 derailleur?) but I can't seem to find it.

What's the deal here?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com