*NEW GEN* SRAM Force Groupset March 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

century

by century

I wanted to pass this along in case anyone is agonizing over purchasing an older (FORCE/RED) groupset with SRAM. I had a conversation with a reliable source who has access to supply chain ordering for new bike builds. I was advised to wait on my build, as SRAM Force is being updated in March 2023. I hope this helps someone with their buying decisions, as I was probably going to buy SRAM Rival, or Shimano Ultegra/Dura Ace, just because it had been updated more recently.

**Some rumors are it is going to have better hoods, like Rivals. That's as much as I know.

PS: I don't know about Red, as I wasn't in the market for those, but I would assume they are getting updated as well.
Last edited by century on Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I guess:

If you need it NOW, get it.
If you can still find it nearly half off, that’s a judgement call.

Ofterwise just need to get through the Northern Hemisphere winter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

What's SRAM's recent availability like? Previously they were known for selling stuff almost upon announcement. I guess OEM should have a priority and ordering groupset alone may need patience.

And it's finally time for the bike industry to move to USB Type-C...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Cemicar wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:19 am
What's SRAM's recent availability like? Previously they were known for selling stuff almost upon announcement. I guess OEM should have a priority and ordering groupset alone may need patience.

SRAM had decent Rival AXS availability in the middle of the pandemic. It had great availability of Red and Force AXS when they were originally announced. It had decent availability of 11-speed eTap in 2016.

Being fully wireless, the only USB Type-C port would be on the charger. While that would be nice, it's not a make-or-break situation if they stick with micro USB there.

What I would love is if SRAM continues down the path of allowing some backward compatibility. Being able to pair AXS shifters to my 11-speed derailleurs was really nice while I waited for a backordered XDR freehub.

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

Cemicar wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:19 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:34 am
Being fully wireless, the only USB Type-C port would be on the charger. While that would be nice, it's not a make-or-break situation if they stick with micro USB there.
Yep. I've got an aftermarket dual charger that works great and incorporates the Type C plug.

ichobi

by ichobi

- Reduced hood size and better ergonomic would be nice
- Reduced weight (not sure if possible) but given the Red AXS has somewhat of a porky derailuer both front and back, i guess some grams could be shaved.
- Better chain friction (10t notwithstanding)

Don't know if we need anything else really. May be for the red version to have un-integrated crank/pm option even though they are one of the lightest and best performed pm-crank in the market.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

- Add Apple "Find My" network support to AXS shifters so I don't have to hide an AirTag on my bike.
- A single FD option that can be used with 43/30 chainrings and also the 56/43 chainrings. Make it so a "wide" RD is no longer needed, perhaps with a significant battery redesign.
- Already mentioned, but: Include limited backward/forward compatibility with the shifters so I can upgrade just the RD and/or FD without messing with the shifters.
- Add 11-xx cassette options. Add a 10-30.
- Bring trim to the FD and get rid of Yaw.
- Add Classified Powershift support so the add-on shift button isn't needed.
- License the Connex toolless quick-link from Wippermann
- 13 speeds.
- Apex AXS 11-speed option, compatible with SRAM 11xx series cassettes, chains, etc. No XDR freehub needed. Derailleurs can pair with OG eTap 11-speed. Available on <$3000 complete bikes.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I think adding location services is a blooming great idea and should be available across the board for sure.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:38 am
I think adding location services is a blooming great idea and should be available across the board for sure.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Right? SRAM could probably add the basic functionality to existing shifters with a firmware update even. They'd just lack the precision locator option (the arrow/compass option of your phone) due to a lack of ultra-wideband.

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:01 am
- Add Apple "Find My" network support to AXS shifters so I don't have to hide an AirTag on my bike.
- A single FD option that can be used with 43/30 chainrings and also the 56/43 chainrings. Make it so a "wide" RD is no longer needed, perhaps with a significant battery redesign.
- Already mentioned, but: Include limited backward/forward compatibility with the shifters so I can upgrade just the RD and/or FD without messing with the shifters.
- Add 11-xx cassette options. Add a 10-30.
- Bring trim to the FD and get rid of Yaw.
- Add Classified Powershift support so the add-on shift button isn't needed.
- License the Connex toolless quick-link from Wippermann
- 13 speeds.
- Apex AXS 11-speed option, compatible with SRAM 11xx series cassettes, chains, etc. No XDR freehub needed. Derailleurs can pair with OG eTap 11-speed. Available on <$3000 complete bikes.
If they had managed to buy Classified (as far as I know they just got flush with PE capital, so unlikely to happen) this would have been a huge move to further consolidate their superiority off-road (and potentially pave the way for road applications).

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Obviously they've decided too much discounting going on, so polish up a bit and put new inflation busting prices out!

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Ah. So that gravel bike I am building up for February now comes with unnecessary intrigue. I suspect 30%+ off of a groupset right now is still a good value proposition compared to waiting for the new one which will likely come with a price bump. At least that was the case last time round when AXS was introduced with a higher overall MSRP.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

century wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:32 am

**Some rumors are it is going to have better hoods, like Rivals. That's as much as I know.

Are the Rival hoods any better? On my 3T gravel bars, which are pretty sharp at the curve there, I have a HUGE gap at the bar-shifter base transition. I need to put 2 layers of tape under the tape for a smooth transition from bars to hood - thats about 5mm! There's no way to close that gap.

Wishes for the next gen:
1) Cage lock back. It was a good feature that cost some weight, parts, and machining, but I miss it even for road use. XPLR absolutely needs it. Should be on a disc brake/TA bike.
2) The process of getting wireless AXS blips synced to the system was a hassle. Took about 15 attempts. The whole setup process needs some polish. Otherwise, when it works, it works.
3) Stay 12sp, build a better suite of cassettes... specifically 11t-X traditional ones with better spreads. 11-40 or 42. I don't want a 10t.
4) Better RD packaging (like the direct mount setups we've seen). The AXS Eagle RD are like baby arms. Remote mount battery.
5) Everything on one chain standard per speed. Flat top or eagle for all 12sp.
6) Open std shared battery system... I want one light/deraileur / gps / accessory battery (or the options to leverage a central battery). I want a frame mount standard (seat post top, top tube, head tube, and RD cable exit standard.
7) Open std (BLE) accessory buttons for bell/light/dropper.

kervelo

by kervelo

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:57 pm
4) Better RD packaging (like the direct mount setups we've seen). The AXS Eagle RD are like baby arms.
This 100%. The road axs RDs have an obnoxious silhouette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com