2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

stoney

by stoney

DanW wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:19 am
It's the same for most top MTB pros... For example, Brad Copeland is the best in the business and Kate Courtney's personal mechanic. They're inseparable. I hear one of the reasons why Kate left Specialized was because they didn't want to retain him.
I've seen this stated no end of times yet Kate seems to have more mechanicals than any other rider.

Bad luck? Mechanic? Bad equipment? Pushing the limits of equipment and setup? Who knows
Since Kate is on the same team as Nino I highly doubt she is pushing the limits of the equipment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

DanW wrote:
It's the same for most top MTB pros... For example, Brad Copeland is the best in the business and Kate Courtney's personal mechanic. They're inseparable. I hear one of the reasons why Kate left Specialized was because they didn't want to retain him.
I've seen this stated no end of times yet Kate seems to have more mechanicals than any other rider.

Bad luck? Mechanic? Bad equipment? Pushing the limits of equipment and setup? Who knows

The same team also has Yannick 'the mechanic'. Alvaro at Trek has now left, I wonder were he'll end up at.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

DanW wrote:

I've experienced racers who are more prone to mechanicals because of their own actions and lack of actions. I came up racing on low end gear that I maintained myself and intimately knew. Many of my competitors from a young age had their bikes bought and maintained by someone else and never got to know how they worked. Because of that they weren't as gentle on their gear (shifting and braking technique) and didn't notice little problems before they became big (slightly bent derailleur, loose spoke). Mechanicals in racing are rarely pure luck, it's all part of the game. Nino is very technically minded. I've always had the impression Kate is the opposite.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Yannick > Brad

pastronef

by pastronef

since the last 2-3 posters know about MTB XC, any news on transfers 2023?

will Trek have always Cooper, Dascalu, Jolanda and E.Richards?
Sarrou was rumored to go back to BMC and leave Specialized (also Sina Frei would leave Specy)

Kross-Orlen would fold (Cink, Wawak, Litscher)
and KMC-Orbea I didnt understand if they fold, or just Lapierre takes Orbea's place

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Lelandjt wrote: I've experienced racers who are more prone to mechanicals because of their own actions and lack of actions. I came up racing on low end gear that I maintained myself and intimately knew. Many of my competitors from a young age had their bikes bought and maintained by someone else and never got to know how they worked. Because of that they weren't as gentle on their gear (shifting and braking technique) and didn't notice little problems before they became big (slightly bent derailleur, loose spoke). Mechanicals in racing are rarely pure luck, it's all part of the game. Nino is very technically minded. I've always had the impression Kate is the opposite.
That has been my impression as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

pastronef wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:28 pm
since the last 2-3 posters know about MTB XC, any news on transfers 2023?

will Trek have always Cooper, Dascalu, Jolanda and E.Richards?
Sarrou was rumored to go back to BMC and leave Specialized (also Sina Frei would leave Specy)

Kross-Orlen would fold (Cink, Wawak, Litscher)
and KMC-Orbea I didnt understand if they fold, or just Lapierre takes Orbea's place
Good point; most of the main well known cycling websites are pretty poor in regards to MTB transfer news/ rumours. Also, unlike the road, most are kept secret until 1st January....

However, I think it was one of the European websites that had a list of rumours, including the PFP to Ineos, so they obviously have good contacts. I've seen it rumoured that Trek maybe signing Gwendolyn Gibson, so, is that an extra rider, or is somebody leaving? They already have US youngsters Riley Amos & Madigan Munro.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

For those who care about such things, the European CX Champs was fun to watch, mostly because it was held at Namur. Some superb technical riding on the most difficult course in the sport. Many comical, sliding crashes and running wipe outs as well. Rained for the elite men so extra slippy. Made me wonder why anyone would ever watch gravel racing.

And if you have never seen it, the 2019 World Cup at Namur was one of the most insane bike things I have ever seen. A full video of the 2019 race is very much worth watching.
Here are the highlights.
Men: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DjFy6SIViI
Women: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXndPOwxVAY
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Yes Namur was great. Waiting for Wout to show up and blow the races up like he did last year.

ms6073

by ms6073

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:58 pm
For those who care about such things, the European CX Champs was fun to watch, mostly because it was held at Namur.
Watched the U23 and elite fields on both day. Impressed by Tibo Nys riding that runnup but gutted that once again a mishap cost him the win. Same for Van De Har - after his win lat Monday, wife and I were really rooting for him but anothe rpuncture and some ovelry agressive riding saw him on the ground one to many time and he also had to settle for second.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yeah, was pulling for van der Haar as well. While the face plant on the descent didn't help, for me the difference was that side-hill section. Vanthourenhout was so clean across that section every lap - never lost the high line. Just incredibly skillful. Everyone else lost it there at some point. Van der Haar fully stacked it at least once and had other bad slide outs. I don't think he held the high line even once.

And yes indeed, eager to see if the field can hang on when WVA and MVP show up.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

Namur is THE track when it comes to CX; it's probably the closest CX gets to XC MTB. If you can win there, then you've proven you're an excellent rider. It tests almost everything. It's a track that shows those who have the skills, and those who aren't as competant....In fact, 4 of the women's medals were won by riders who have MTB World champs medals.
There are rumours about Namur holding the Worlds in the years to come, one wonders why it hasn't already when some awful tracks have hosted them. (Apart from £$£$£$£$)
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

BenSiskri wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:27 am
one wonders why it hasn't already when some awful tracks have hosted them. (Apart from £$£$£$£$)
Because the people in charge of deciding where the worlds are aren't just tasked with finding the best circuit.... they are also tasked with growing the concept of cycling as a sport, globally. Hosting the races in places that have always been hotbeds of cycling doesn't put many new eyes on the sport, even if the racing is the best.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:11 pm
DanW wrote:

I've experienced racers who are more prone to mechanicals because of their own actions and lack of actions. I came up racing on low end gear that I maintained myself and intimately knew. Many of my competitors from a young age had their bikes bought and maintained by someone else and never got to know how they worked. Because of that they weren't as gentle on their gear (shifting and braking technique) and didn't notice little problems before they became big (slightly bent derailleur, loose spoke). Mechanicals in racing are rarely pure luck, it's all part of the game. Nino is very technically minded. I've always had the impression Kate is the opposite.
This exactly. Raced with guys who always broke shit, riding behind them it was easy to see why. Managing equipment is part of being a good racer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GaBa

by GaBa

Listened the Move podcast on TdF route presentation. They also touched Cavendish a bit and as per Hincapie's insider info that (going to Israel) is not happening. Since they seem to be quite close with Cav it could be true. Not many options then for him I supose?
Last edited by GaBa on Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.