2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

Hmm, not a fan of that type of sponsorship; shoes are/should be a particularly personal choice.

In racing news, PFP returns to CX for the first time in years today at the Koppenbergcross - and in Ineos colours; and now riding with a Shimano groupset, after years and years on Sram.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BenSiskri wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:07 pm
Hmm, not a fan of that type of sponsorship; shoes are/should be a particularly personal choice.

From a safety/comfort standpoint, so should helmets…

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

Yes, I agree; I know in motorsport, drivers/riders have personal deals with helmet manufacturers.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

pastronef

by pastronef

it's easier for the shoes. overshoes or rebranded stuff (like the "Asics" Bartoli wore, those were Sidi) or the unbranded Bonts Rui Costa and Dowsett wore. or the Adidas branded Bonts of Wiggo.

for helmets it's less then a "feeling". it's more commercial deal. last rider wearing a non-team-sponsor helmet was Contador wearing Gir helmet in 2011 (Saxo was on Specialzied)
also Cipollini wore Specialized helmet at Liquigas (LAS iirc). PaulineFP wearing Oakley helmet with Team Bmc (Ekoi)

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

BenSiskri wrote:

In racing news, PFP returns to CX for the first time in years today at the Koppenbergcross - and in Ineos colours; and now riding with a Shimano groupset, after years and years on Sram.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/my-gea ... renadiers/

Sounds like she was quite frustrated with Shimano as well, reporting mechanical failures including chain drops and a jammed derailleur...
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

JMeinholdt wrote:
BenSiskri wrote:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/my-gea ... renadiers/

Sounds like she was quite frustrated with Shimano as well, reporting mechanical failures including chain drops and a jammed derailleur...
I suspect they’ll soon be an opening for a mechanic at Ineos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ultimobici wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:07 pm

Riders of PFP's stature have personal mechanics. One of her conditions for joining Ineos was that she could bring Fabien Boissonnet with her.

It's the same for most top MTB pros... For example, Brad Copeland is the best in the business and Kate Courtney's personal mechanic. They're inseparable. I hear one of the reasons why Kate left Specialized was because they didn't want to retain him.

pastronef

by pastronef

Arkea confirms Bianchi-Shimano for 2023

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Jay Vine to UAE (From Alpecin-Deceuninck)

UAE are going to be the super team to reckon with, wonder who else is on their radar..

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/al ... m-emirates

maquisard

by maquisard

Quintana has also lost his Tramadol appeal - I am surprised some team does not pick him up for little money.

maquisard

by maquisard

stevec1975 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:12 pm
Jay Vine to UAE (From Alpecin-Deceuninck)

UAE are going to be the super team to reckon with, wonder who else is on their radar..

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/al ... m-emirates
UAE are a super team in terms of riders, but not in terms of infrastructure. TJV are now the leaders in that field having basically copied the Sky/Ineos approach.

ms6073

by ms6073

maquisard wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:42 pm
UAE are a super team in terms of riders, but not in terms of infrastructure. TJV are now the leaders in that field having basically copied the Sky/Ineos approach.
Wonder how long before we see the lesser teams start grousing about caps on how much a team can spend as the FIA did for F1 as few are going to be able to compete with UAE in monetary terms since the team seems to have an unlimited budget.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mocs123

by Mocs123

BenSiskri wrote:

I think a lot of the team shoe sponsorships will do custom shoes for riders that have feet that don't fit their standard shoes. I'm not a fan of dictated shoes or saddles.

Of course as with all "sponsorships" I've always been curious what the riders would choose if they could pick the bikes, bibs, helmets, saddles, shoes, etc they wanted.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:25 pm
ultimobici wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:07 pm

Riders of PFP's stature have personal mechanics. One of her conditions for joining Ineos was that she could bring Fabien Boissonnet with her.
They certainly don't know what they are doing in cross. Standing on the wrong side of the bike on a pit handoff is a rookie move.

DanW

by DanW

It's the same for most top MTB pros... For example, Brad Copeland is the best in the business and Kate Courtney's personal mechanic. They're inseparable. I hear one of the reasons why Kate left Specialized was because they didn't want to retain him.
I've seen this stated no end of times yet Kate seems to have more mechanicals than any other rider.

Bad luck? Mechanic? Bad equipment? Pushing the limits of equipment and setup? Who knows

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com