Question regarding brake bleeding

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

martin752

by martin752

Hello everyone, I'm looking to change to narrower handlebars(42cm -> 38cm) and I would like to know if it's possible to change the handlebars without having to do a brake bleed. For context, I will be performing the handlebar swap on the newest generation Ultegra di2. I'm quite new to integrated cables so I'm sorry if the following is just downright stupid.
I don't think it will be necessary to shorten the brake cable. And so if I don't touch the pin I should be fine to just get the cables out and reroute them through the new handlebar?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

martin752 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:43 pm
Hello everyone, I'm looking to change to narrower handlebars(42cm -> 38cm) and I would like to know if it's possible to change the handlebars without having to do a brake bleed. For context, I will be performing the handlebar swap on the newest generation Ultegra di2. I'm quite new to integrated cables so I'm sorry if the following is just downright stupid.
I don't think it will be necessary to shorten the brake cable. And so if I don't touch the pin I should be fine to just get the cables out and reroute them through the new handlebar?

If your current bleed is immaculate, you MIGHT get away with it. Otherwise prepare to bleed your brakes.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Internal or external routing of the cables on the bars? If it's all external, you should be able to get the shifters off/on without disconnecting the hoses. Just becasue the bars are narrower doesn't mean the hoses need to be shortened, especially for 2cm per side.

martin752

by martin752

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:16 pm
martin752 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:43 pm

If your current bleed is immaculate, you MIGHT get away with it. Otherwise prepare to bleed your brakes.
I'm okay with bleeding my brakes, have done it on my other bikes. The reason I'm asking is because it will be around 3 weeks before I fly back home and have access to my bleedkit but since I would like to try out the new handlebars I wanted to know if it would be okay. I think I'll give it a try and if I mess things up then it will probably end up being a walk of shame to some local bike shop.

martin752

by martin752

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:18 pm
Internal or external routing of the cables on the bars? If it's all external, you should be able to get the shifters off/on without disconnecting the hoses. Just becasue the bars are narrower doesn't mean the hoses need to be shortened, especially for 2cm per side.
All internal. Definitely going to need to disconnect the hoses.

V3Rs

by V3Rs

A disconnet does not always require a bleed... as noted above

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Do the connectors/nuts etc fit through the ports on the bars?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

Internal hose routing to other handlebars require
1) remove olives
2) route hoses through new handlebars
3) install olives
4) connect hoods

- if you are lucky and did not drip and brake fluid out of hoses while getting air in, you may reconnect without need to bleed

- you also have to be lucky to have handlebars with similar reach or enough hose length. Last week I went from 40cm width / 70mm reach handlebars to 38cm width / 77mm reach handlebars and realized that my front hose is too short. That prolonged my process by one additional online order.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p