Bike in dark and car headlights!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hello,

i would like to ask you guys, if or when you ride at night or in the dark, how do you cope with vehicles headlights?
I usually try to place one hand to shade my eyes from headlights, but to be honest, i'd rather have both hands on the bars.
I have start to wonder, is there any sorts of shades for these kind of things?
So many times during each ride i'm almost blinded by the full beam and i am really annoyed by it.
All and any tips are really welcome!

Thanks...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Never had an issue with headlights, except for the occasions when on a steep downhill and a car is coming up. Been commuting/riding in the dark over 20 years now, mostly before sunrise (still dark when I get to work).
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Do you have astigmatism?

spokenwords

by spokenwords

I dont recall ever having much of a problem either. Keep your eyes on your line? Wear a cycling cap?
High beams can be an issue for sure. Are you using a strong headlight so they know to dim their lights?
Im not trying to say you are wrong and there are no issues with headlights but I just dont remember having any significant issues myself.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

kervelo

by kervelo

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:21 am
...when you ride at night or in the dark, how do you cope with vehicles headlights?
I recognize the issue. The car headlights are usually not an issue when riding in areas with street lights. When riding in rural areas, in *total* darkness, the drivers use high beams and that can really blind you for a moment.

A cycling cap or a helmet with a vizor helps, as well as turning my Lupine to high beam for a moment. 8)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:44 am
Do you have astigmatism?
No i have no glasses or issues reading etc.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

nagge

by nagge

Just close one eye until the vehicle passes.
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

As I have become older and also having LASIKs 22 years ago my eyes are sensitive to headlights. My car mirrors have auto dimming and I will look away from the source when I find it bright and bothersome. I do some lightly tinted glasses for night riding.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:21 am
i would like to ask you guys, if or when you ride at night or in the dark, how do you cope with vehicles headlights?
I usually try to place one hand to shade my eyes from headlights, but to be honest, i'd rather have both hands on the bars.
Depends on the situation. If use a helmet light so if there's time I'll shake my head at them to try and jolt them into remembering the dipper switch. If they still keep full beams on I'll just centre the helmet light beam on their windscreen because *f##k* those guys. Or if the road's too twisty just look away for a second as it passes.

Though the problem now is there are so many more bright white LED headlight cars out there every year that even dipped beams cause a lot of dazzle and I don't think there is any easy solution to that from a rider's POV. I can only think it should be addressed at source with manufacturers being legally mandated to add a certain level of tint to headlight glass to cut out the pain inducing high frequencies that white LEDs emit. A lesser version of what France used to do with their classic yellow headlights.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:12 am
No i have no glasses or issues reading etc.
Doesn't mean you don't have astigmatism.

And for me (i do have astigmatism, and short sighted, and varifocals) just close one eye and if they're very bright, look at the gutter on my side.
Also have to do this when driving wrong handed cars for work. Sitting on the wrong side of the car means you look more to the middle of the road to drive, and get "more" dazzle from oncoming cars.

Miller

by Miller

I think the issue is drivers not dipping headlights if 'just a cyclist '. I've had that and it is rude. The answer is probably to get your own front light that is powerful AF. Perfectly possible these days.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Miller wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:40 pm
I think the issue is drivers not dipping headlights if 'just a cyclist '. I've had that and it is rude. The answer is probably to get your own front light that is powerful AF. Perfectly possible these days.
Yes, that's how it is! They don't give a shiet about us!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:20 pm
And for me (i do have astigmatism, and short sighted, and varifocals) just close one eye and if they're very bright, look at the gutter on my side.
Also have to do this when driving wrong handed cars for work. Sitting on the wrong side of the car means you look more to the middle of the road to drive, and get "more" dazzle from oncoming cars.
Well damn. I have astigmatism (just enough to need driving glasses) and no optician ever told me this was a symptom. I just thought bright lights were this nasty for everyone :oops: :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:31 pm

Well damn. I have astigmatism (just enough to need driving glasses) and no optician ever told me this was a symptom. I just thought bright lights were this nasty for everyone :oops: :lol:

A simulated example:

My contact lenses don't seem to fully correct it.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Yeah. Astigmatism gives the star effect around bright lights. There was a big thing in some of the UK papers 2/3 years ago. But i was told years ago by my optician.
Contacts are always a bit of a compromise with astigmatism, mines only mild so they make no attempt with contacts and only fix it on my glasses.
My other half has "proper" contacts that fix astigmatism, but it's a lot worse than mine.