Supersix Evo '16

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Corfate

by Corfate

Nixster wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:56 pm
There’s lighter rings available for those cranks, Praxis for example or Cannondale Mk V rings if you can find them.
Also use latex tubes if you’re not already, lighter, smoother and faster so long as you check your pressures before riding.
Spacers and cone at 100g seems high too. Are you using the later expander in the steerer?

Red cranks will fit BB30 and BB30A if you take off the preload adjuster btw. Add stages Carbon arm for a really light PM option.
Ah nice one on the ring tips. Do they still shift just as nicely? I'd read some other threads where people were saying the shift quality suffers slightly when changing to aftermarket rings?

Latex tubes are on the list to get - i completely forgot they existed in all honesty lol.

I'll weigh all the spacers, expander etc when i change the headset bearings next month. I'm just using the ones that came with the bike, but i'm going to change to the carbon ones when i service it. I'm using the one on the left, i'm guessing it's considerably heavier than the high mod varient

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Annoyingly Cannondale have discontinued the lighter one on the left (KP017). It weighs 15-16g FYI.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Corfate

by Corfate

MichaelK wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:57 am
Annoyingly Cannondale have discontinued the lighter one on the left (KP017). It weighs 15-16g FYI.
Ah that's a shame, i should have bought one a while ago when i had the chance!

Picked up some Assioma Duos for £400 off Facebook the other day, so saving of £200 over new there. Read about 10-15w lower than the Powerbox did, so it's making training extra fun and painful :unbelievable:

Ordered a pair of Hyper R45's, which should weigh in at approx 1322g. I was going to run them tubeless, but I'm concious that I don't have oodles of tyre clearence on the Evo and i'm struggling to find 23mm tubeless tyres so thinking GP5000's with some latex tubes. Also hopefully be a bit less faff to set up.

I'm hoping once everything is on, it should weigh in at 6.5kg.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

i wouldn't use either one of the cannondale expander plugs if I were you. They don't provide adequate support for the steerer tube against the clamping forces of the stem because they sit far too far down in the steerer tube. Instead for lightweight options I would use something like an extralite ultrastar and position it high up so that it sits right in the middle of the stem's clamp.

Corfate

by Corfate

That's brilliant, thank you! I'll look to pick one up :D

C36

by C36

jpeterson1012 wrote:i wouldn't use either one of the cannondale expander plugs if I were you. They don't provide adequate support for the steerer tube against the clamping forces of the stem because they sit far too far down in the steerer tube.
It’s incorrect, if used properly, the lower expandable part supports the bottom and below the stem while the upper part is adjusted to the pivot inner diameter, then supporting the upper clamp.
They stoped using it when started using the thicker pivots (latest evo2, produced 2018-2019, with thicker pivots, updated manufacturing and redesigned exit ports) and only works fully with specific forks forks.
Btw it’s not a new design, the caad5 had the same upper section adjusted to pivot ID.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

C36 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:04 pm
jpeterson1012 wrote:i wouldn't use either one of the cannondale expander plugs if I were you. They don't provide adequate support for the steerer tube against the clamping forces of the stem because they sit far too far down in the steerer tube.
It’s incorrect, if used properly, the lower expandable part supports the bottom and below the stem while the upper part is adjusted to the pivot inner diameter, then supporting the upper clamp.
They stoped using it when started using the thicker pivots (latest evo2, produced 2018-2019, with thicker pivots, updated manufacturing and redesigned exit ports) and only works fully with specific forks forks.
Btw it’s not a new design, the caad5 had the same upper section adjusted to pivot ID.
The upper does not "adjust" to fill the steerer tube's full ID. there is still a healthy gap left because carbon wall thicknesses are nowhere near the consistency of extruded or turned metal. This in conjunction with the fact that CAN ships their bikes with no spacer above the stem is why so many of them that come into the shop a few years down the line have upper stem clamps that touch, as in the stem clamp is clamping against itself.

But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Corfate

by Corfate

My creaking BB is driving me mad, so i'm looking to change it for one of the Wheels MFG options.

I'm super confused as to which one i need to get and whether my 2016 evo non high mod is PF30, BB30, angular bearings etc etc. Any help anybody please? :)

Will this one fit? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheels-Manufac ... =8-15&th=1

Edit; After quite a bit of googling, I'm about 99.5% sure my evo is PF30, so i've ordered the angular version of the one linked above. Hopefully fixes the creak!

Corfate

by Corfate

Bikes rather noisy whilst I wait for the new BB to arrive, but can't resist going out when I've got the day off work.

Nixster

by Nixster

It’s PF30. Well, possibly PF30a but either way the Wheels Mfg will fit, width wise. Be aware it may not cure the creaking, depends why it was creaking in the first place.

Praxis rings shift fine, for SRAM 😀

FWIW the extralite/ exustar expanders are pretty narrow in the depth of steerer they support. I have Carbon Ti as the lightest one I could bring myself to use. If you’re worried about such things then Columbus do a full depth version that will fit but weighs a ton.

Corfate

by Corfate

Nixster wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:55 pm
It’s PF30. Well, possibly PF30a but either way the Wheels Mfg will fit, width wise. Be aware it may not cure the creaking, depends why it was creaking in the first place.

Praxis rings shift fine, for SRAM 😀

FWIW the extralite/ exustar expanders are pretty narrow in the depth of steerer they support. I have Carbon Ti as the lightest one I could bring myself to use. If you’re worried about such things then Columbus do a full depth version that will fit but weighs a ton.
Man, i sure hope it does fix the creaking or i'll be v sad lol. Started creaking since i changed over to the red crankset, maybe i disturbed the bearings on removal/fitting etc.

I'm tempted by the extralite rings, may have to ask for them as a xmas present as my bank has taken a beating this last month lol.

Are the stock expanders really that poorly designed?

Nixster

by Nixster

I ran the stock lighter expander on my SS Evo with no issues and still use one on my winter bike, again with no issues. My Carbon Ti expander has not been entirely trouble free as you basically have to pick one stem bolt to support or hope that somewhere in between provides some support to both. With the stock expander there’s active support to one bolt and passive to the other, providing you have it in roughly the right place. Comes down to tolerances how close the id of the steerer is to the od of the fins on expander as to how much support there is to the steerer at the upper bolt location. Too tight and you won’t be able to get the preloading on the headset, too loose and the steerer can distort. The lower bolt is more critical as the likely failure point is at the headset top bearing so that’s where you want your steerer round and evenly stressed. I don’t think Cannondale were a million miles out with their design. Sure wouldn’t hurt to check that the gap is even on the back of the stem at both bolt locations though.
Like I said there are alternatives if you have nightmares about George Hincapie at P-Roubaix…

Nixster

by Nixster

Oh and on creaking or noises generally always eliminate the cheapest issues first. Check the shims and wave washer on the cranks, make sure the cranks and pedals are torqued, check seat post and saddle, grease and carbon paste where appropriate etc.
Ask me how I know…

Corfate

by Corfate

Nixster wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:14 pm
Oh and on creaking or noises generally always eliminate the cheapest issues first. Check the shims and wave washer on the cranks, make sure the cranks and pedals are torqued, check seat post and saddle, grease and carbon paste where appropriate etc.
Ask me how I know…
Thanks buddy, I've checked all those and sadly it still persists... Fingers crossed the new BB fixes things!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Corfate

by Corfate

This morning started with a delivery...

Nice touch in the box was a bar bag full of the replacement spokes, skewers, manual etc

Looking at it as it is, I don't know whether the 33's would have suited it a bit better? It may just be as it's a big frame or something I need to get used to visually. I've no doubt these will be faster than the Visions they're replacing, and much lighter. Most of the riding I do is flat but I'm not sure. Maybe something I'm going to get used to in time. The freehub is beautifully loud :mrgreen:

Also had this turn up whilst i was mid tyre swapping

My very non technical weighing method (Stand on scale with bike, and without) brings it in at roughly 6.9kg as is. I was expecting lower tbh. I do plan to replace the innertubes with latex ones, but sadly they didn't come in time for todays fitting sesh