Dream build Sworks Aethos (Now 5.98kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Christopher3000

by Christopher3000

Picture of the cockpit looking down at the aerofly bar?

jaclipse

by jaclipse

Bianchi10 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:58 pm
Klaster_1 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:39 pm
Attermann wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:49 am
You need to use counter sunk bolts on that bottle cage
Second this, the original Carbonworks comes with countersunk bolts.
I'm using the Sworks Bolts because they were lighter than the ones that came with the cages.
They probably work with regular bolts but your bottles will get scratched up a ton. Countersunk is the way to go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

jaclipse wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:45 pm
Bianchi10 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:58 pm
Klaster_1 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:39 pm
Attermann wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:49 am
You need to use counter sunk bolts on that bottle cage
Second this, the original Carbonworks comes with countersunk bolts.
I'm using the Sworks Bolts because they were lighter than the ones that came with the cages.
They probably work with regular bolts but your bottles will get scratched up a ton. Countersunk is the way to go.
Ahhhh that makes sense now! I'll have to replace these with some countersunk bolts then. Appreciate the heads up!

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Christopher3000 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:00 pm

da123

by da123

Bianchi10 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:25 am
Got a good deal on these Carbon-Ti Chainrings. These are the version 2 which has better shifting than the V1.

These will sit in the box though until I get my THM Power Meter crankset. Fairwheel bikes said they should get an order of them in within the next 2 months, so here is to hoping the timeline is right! Otherwise if I go through THM, they state 36-40+ WEEKS!

Nice build.

Will be interested in how you get on setting the chainrings up with AXS. I have used the same set up (THM power meter crank with the V2 rings), and although they are better than the V1, I still found it a complete nightmare to set up without the mech chucking the chain over the big chainring (no issues whatsoever with dura ace). If you haven't already, I've heavily recommend (i) a chain catcher, and (ii) some robust protection for the underside of your chainstay by the inner ring (Lizard Skins do some carbon patches which can be modified to fit nicely). I smashed two chainstays with chainsuck caused by shifting issues. I don't have an Aethos, so maybe geometry has a part to play, but as you've already cracked your top tube, I guess a smashed chainstay isn't high on your list of priorities!

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

da123 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:00 pm
Bianchi10 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:25 am
Got a good deal on these Carbon-Ti Chainrings. These are the version 2 which has better shifting than the V1.

These will sit in the box though until I get my THM Power Meter crankset. Fairwheel bikes said they should get an order of them in within the next 2 months, so here is to hoping the timeline is right! Otherwise if I go through THM, they state 36-40+ WEEKS!

Nice build.

Will be interested in how you get on setting the chainrings up with AXS. I have used the same set up (THM power meter crank with the V2 rings), and although they are better than the V1, I still found it a complete nightmare to set up without the mech chucking the chain over the big chainring (no issues whatsoever with dura ace). If you haven't already, I've heavily recommend (i) a chain catcher, and (ii) some robust protection for the underside of your chainstay by the inner ring (Lizard Skins do some carbon patches which can be modified to fit nicely). I smashed two chainstays with chainsuck caused by shifting issues. I don't have an Aethos, so maybe geometry has a part to play, but as you've already cracked your top tube, I guess a smashed chainstay isn't high on your list of priorities!
I'm using Sram Etap not the AXS. I'll definitely do my best to make sure it's all protected

Christopher3000

by Christopher3000

Bianchi10 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:38 am
Christopher3000 wrote:
Cool; sometimes you see flat top/aero bars on bikes without fully internal routing and they look stupid. That looks clean, and non-turbulent.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Christopher3000 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:42 pm
Bianchi10 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:38 am
Christopher3000 wrote:
Cool; sometimes you see flat top/aero bars on bikes without fully internal routing and they look stupid. That looks clean, and non-turbulent.
I agree with you, but as mentioned these look great on the bike. Matches the oversized and oval type shape of the top tube well (IMO anyway)

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Got some new custom wheels. Will take some photos and share soon. The builder sent the wrong freehub installed, so waiting for that to arrive.

On this wheel, he had installed Stans rim tape which is already pretty light. Through some research and conversations with friends who have done this, I bought and installed Powder coating tape. Super light, yet thick at the same time. Is meant for high temps and works well. I saved an additional 25g switching from Stans to this.

Gary71

by Gary71

Bianchi10 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:29 pm
Got some new custom wheels. Will take some photos and share soon. The builder sent the wrong freehub installed, so waiting for that to arrive.

On this wheel, he had installed Stans rim tape which is already pretty light. Through some research and conversations with friends who have done this, I bought and installed Powder coating tape. Super light, yet thick at the same time. Is meant for high temps and works well. I saved an additional 25g switching from Stans to this.

That's a great heads up Bianchi10....., I will be looking to order some the next time I am placing worn tyres.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Been wanting this THM Power meter for so long!

For comparison:

I don't think I NEED the chain catcher, but it is good safety for now. Several years ago I tried the Extralite rings and they were HORRIBLE. Kept falling off the chain and the last thing I want is to mess up the BB on my Aethos. 4g penalty, no big deal. (Made by Omni racer)

Current total weight(13.40lbs/6.07kg. Still have some goodies coming with hopes to see sub 13lbs.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Bianchi10 wrote:Got some new custom wheels. Will take some photos and share soon. The builder sent the wrong freehub installed, so waiting for that to arrive.

What tape did you use Nick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Beancouter wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:47 am

What tape did you use Nick?

Amazon

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Thank you !

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Hmmm that tape looks identical to flash/release tape used in composite repair...

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/flash-release-tape

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com