Klaster_1's Specialized Aethos S-Works (4.99kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Lots of info here. Thx for sharing.

Couple of questions:

1) Did your Aethos frame come with the Alpinist SL integrated cockpit? Just using parts from your FM? I think you have a bit more drop with your set-up versus the integrated unit at the expense of a few more grams.

2) Based on the pics of Sigeyi and Redshift DM RD hangers, it seems they weigh more than stock?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Johnny Rad wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:05 pm
Did your Aethos frame come with the Alpinist SL integrated cockpit? Just using parts from your FM? I think you have a bit more drop with your set-up versus the integrated unit at the expense of a few more grams.
No, it came with Enve compact bars. The saddle to bars drop is about the same as on FM079, withing a couple of millimeters. Not sure what you mean, can you please elaborate?
Johnny Rad wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:05 pm
Based on the pics of Sigeyi and Redshift DM RD hangers, it seems they weigh more than stock?
Yes, the replacement hangers weigh more, but you have to count the hanger and B unit together. Stock hanger and B-unit: 21.38g. Sigeyi and no B-unit: 12.57g. A saving of 8.81g.
Attachments
Shimano RD-R9150 B-unit weight
Shimano RD-R9150 B-unit weight

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Regarding the stem and bar, I meant the bar's reach and bar drop measurements - not saddle to bar drop. The Alpinist integrated cockpit is "short and shallow" (but lighter weight) whereas your individual set-up probably features more drop (but higher weight).

Seems to me that most integrated stem and bar units are short (approx 75mm) and shallow (approx 125mm). I prefer a drop bar that really drops. Prior to my current Lightweight bar with "only" 136mm drop, I was at 150mm drop. Low and fast!

I was just wondering why you went with Enve rather than the integrated Alpinist integrated unit. Now I understand that your new Aethos didn't come with the Alpinist.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Thanks for more info on the DM hangers. Between some reading online and your info here, I think that I'm a wee bit smarter. 🍻

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Johnny Rad wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:29 am
I was just wondering why you went with Enve rather than the integrated Alpinist integrated unit. Now I understand that your new Aethos didn't come with the Alpinist.
Enve bars were parts of the deal, that's what the previous owner chose. My build will have the Darimo IX2 and Ellipse cockpit, same fit as on FM079. Personally, I find Enve products too expensive and heavy, not what I'd put on my bike willingly.

In other news, the Aethos manual instructs to remove the brake hose before removing the head tube grommet, which I need to do in order to replace the Di2 wires. Cutting the brake hoses was not in my plans for now, looks like modified wiring won't happen as soon as I'd prefer. I'll remove the fork and check if the grommet can be pushed out from the inside, but it probably has barbs to prevent this.

da123

by da123

kode54 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:40 pm
The Redshift direct mount hanger version has some reinforcement in the middle. I wonder if they did it because it bends?

I’ll take a pic and post later.
Hmm. Interesting. My Redshift hangers for my SL7 (I have 3, the most recent arrived about 3 weeks ago), don't have any reinforcement 🤔, so I hope they don't bend 🤞

kode54

by kode54

Previous versions didn’t have the extra reinforcement based on earlier photos on WW. It’s possible that it was added afterwards.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Specialized Aethos S-Works 56cm: 886g. Hongfu FM079 frame plus Workswell WCB-R-093 fork: ~1253g. A difference of 366g.
Attachments
Specialized Aethos S-Works 56cm FSTGR/GLDSTPR/FLKSIL bare frame weight
Specialized Aethos S-Works 56cm FSTGR/GLDSTPR/FLKSIL bare frame weight
Specialized Aethos S-Works FSTGR/GLDSTPR/FLKSIL bare fork weight
Specialized Aethos S-Works FSTGR/GLDSTPR/FLKSIL bare fork weight

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Such an awesome lightweight platform to start a ww build with!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

What a porker. Eventually, to be replaced with a 30cm Darimo T1 loop, too bad it's not available on the second market here.
Attachments
Roval Alpinist 35cm seat post weight
Roval Alpinist 35cm seat post weight

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Klaster_1 wrote:What a porker. Eventually, to be replaced with a 30cm Darimo T1 loop, too bad it's not available on the second market here.
Agreed. Given the effort Specialized put into the weight of the small parts on the frame, slightly odd that the seat post clamp parts didn’t get the same treatment.

I have gone Darimo but prefer the look of the original Alpinist post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Just got a 58cm version with same paint job and feel like the frame is ok for weight at about 666g, but my fork is a porker compared you yours.

Mine is 317g.

Is yours a cut weight and do they make the steerer tube longer depending on frame size?

37g seems a lot and even if I cut mine I won't lose that much.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

yourrealdad wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:18 am
Is yours a cut weight and do they make the steerer tube longer depending on frame size?
The fork was weight after a cut. Honestly, I was equally disappointed since @takolino's fork is 266g, cut for the same frame size.

Here's a teaser (no weights yet):
Attachments
Specialized Aethos S-Works without paint
Specialized Aethos S-Works without paint
Still wet clear coat
Still wet clear coat

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Yeah,

Most other peoples forks seem close to that 280g weight, but mine is more in line with the Pro/Expert model.

I kind of find that to be frustrating since this is a bike sold on the basis of weight and is extremely expensive. Weights should be pretty damn spot on or less. 40g on a 280g part is BS.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Before: fork - 280g, frame - 607g. After: frame - 546g, fork - 266g. Saved: 75g. The work cost 23k RUB (~280USD), good deal! Done by @print_garage, great service and pleasant guys.
Attachments
Specialized Aethos S-Works 56cm without paint, in clear coat, frame weight
Specialized Aethos S-Works 56cm without paint, in clear coat, frame weight
Specialized Aethos S-Works 56cm without paint, in clear coat, fork weight
Specialized Aethos S-Works 56cm without paint, in clear coat, fork weight
Specialized Aethos S-Works 56cm without paint, in clear coat