Bbloque Kaisei Steel - DM Rim (Complete)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Wow that's super cool awsome weight for a steel frame too. Only thing I would change would be the bottle cages so not to distract from the frame.

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

stanvr

by stanvr

This is a really beautiful build, extraordinary frame!

How do the brakes perform?
And how does the garmin mount work? I don't understand how it can clamp between and be tight whilst also holding the bars tight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

stanvr wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:13 am
This is a really beautiful build, extraordinary frame!

How do the brakes perform?
And how does the garmin mount work? I don't understand how it can clamp between and be tight whilst also holding the bars tight?
Hi Stan -
Short answer to braking; overall - fine. Front pretty good; rear, a bit less so.
Last time I used these wheels it was with standard 9100 calipers and the blue Wiggle brake pads. The braking was good; nothing like other wheelsets (best I ve known is 3T; DA is really good too).

With the same wheels, on this bike I have different calipers, different pads (I used Enve I already had), and direct mount.

I can see and improvement in the front, a bit worse in the rear.

In regards to the mount, it seems to hold fine - but good question you raise; the mechanic had to include a couple of washers.
Attachments
5E5BCE61-1073-4C52-A464-85701C501DAB.jpeg
2C97D0C9-5A12-4C90-A8E5-D490AA8D8A2D.jpeg

stanvr

by stanvr

aha now I see the bottom bolt too, that makes sense. That way you can clamp down the mount first, then put sufficient clamping force on the bar on the lower bolt underneath.

Can't wait for your next build ;)

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. Great paint!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

just wow!!! great bike.

DHG01

by DHG01

I ve now had the opportunity to go on a few rides. Latest was yesterday; 70 km / 800 metres – nothing demanding, but certainly now enough to test a bike. Overall, rides were across good road surface, with the occasional poorer tarmac. A few short but steep hills, a few climbs > 6 km with gradients between 2-7%, corresponding descents where speeds of 55-65 km/h are easily reached.

Summary is I am delighted. For those that like metal bikes, I highly recommend testing the Kaisei steel tubes. In the larger sizing I used, a big chunk of the tubes are in the thinner part and the butted is very close to the junctions. The road buzz mute reminds me of my titanium Nevi; smoother that the Standert Triebwerk – I assume similar to XCR, but cant really compare given the huge differences in tyre widths I use on the bike with that material.

I really like the springy feeling over slight bumps/road imperfections; very compliant; ideal for longer days in the saddle. However, its plenty stiff, it doesn’t bounce back when pedalling at higher cadence/speed (which would not be ideal). The bike behaves fine standing on the pedals, during those steeper hills or catch up sprints. No brake rub, no odd feeling.

The front end is a rock (oversized steerer tube, 300 gram steel stem); really keeps things under control when braking hard.

Handling is sharp; it is not a long wheelbase 71 ° all road bike. Steering and handling is fast and I don’t think it has a high tolerance for mistakes. It’s fun to ride, reacts quickly, but you have to focus on what you do.

Geo is perfect, as expected from a custom bike. That and the Dila saddle make it an incredibly comfortable bike for me. Kudos to the OG Evkin handlebar, comfy grab, plenty stiff (no much of a surprize being so compact).

Very impressed with the Zipp Tangent tubulars; seem pretty fast to me. I am not missing the very well regarded Corsas. I am sure the 27 mm also contribute towards the comfortable ride. I got a puncture on day one – not an issue, sealing 27 mm 6 bar tubulars is a piece of cake. They have been discontinued; I think I am going to stash a few whilst on offer at Merlin.

I like Campy; I like the company and the quality build of their products. But not particularly impressed with the shifting. Its not bad; but the cables are running externally; shifting should be perfect and it is not where DA 9000/9100 is. I also think it is not as smooth a 11s Record. I ve read 12s needs breaking in. Hopefully that’s the case.

I already spoke about the braking; its fine. Front is quite powerful; rear less so and squeals.

The paint job doesn’t really come to life on the pictures; it’s a two tone chameleon paint. I think it looks quite nice.

Very please with the seat jdpost binder and how all that junction comes together.

In essence, a well speced road bike; reasonably light, comfortable, good handler and nice looks. I would very much recommend the tubes; they are something special. And specially the frame builder; talented, passionate and very committed.

ms6073

by ms6073

Wow that is amazing craftsmanship, but curious why the use of the washers on the computer mount instead of something like composite bushings, like the standoffs that are sometimes used for bottle cages to clear the front derailleur?

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

DHG01

by DHG01

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:45 pm
Wow that is amazing craftsmanship, but curious why the use of the washers on the computer mount instead of something like composite bushings, like the standoffs that are sometimes used for bottle cages to clear the front derailleur?

Thank you Michael.
I know you know - but for the rest, there are washers but what stacks up is the unpainted sorrounding to where the screws and bolts hold together the stem.

Washers were put because I think the handelbar would slip without them.
I am not acquainted with composite bushings; but would appreciate if you could share more (or where to find).

Ehime

by Ehime

stunning bike

love it!

DHG01

by DHG01

Ehime wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:10 am
stunning bike

love it!
Thank you; I am really enjoying it.

DHG01

by DHG01

Chatting with the framebuilder, here is an interesting project. I think 2/3 of his bikes are disc gravel...This one is road rim with Deda tubes and Darimo seat tube.

On the seat tube an external stainless steel "shim" is placed for the derailleur clamp as the carbon tube is a bit less wide and looking to avoid the pressure of the clamp over it.
Attachments
D4883D14-8274-4B1D-8C00-3B7CA4854238.jpeg