My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

and even if you just leave it unwiped after wax bath, the only real problem is to brush and vacuum the flakes all over the chainstay and drive chain, no big deal.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

choochoo46

by choochoo46

So Zero Friction Cycling continues to get good testing results with Silca Super Secret.

From their Sept 18th blog posting: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/late ... september/

"The answer is for 99%+ of riders / racers – the day in day out low friction and wear rates of immersive waxing vs drip lubes is still unbeatable, and here is why;

Your chain operates externally completely exposed to airborne dust and contamination. Contamination is inevitable, and what gets in is pressed into set lube.

When you re-lube with a wax emulsion lube like Tru tension / Silca / AB – a typical re-lube for these types of lubes is 3ml to 5ml – 5ml is a pretty hefty application.

5ml across typical chain lengths of circa 108 links = less than 0.05ml per link.

Half of this (over half actually) is carrier -so in terms of how much fresh lubrication you are adding, its around 0.02ml per link. The contamination that has already penetrated and pressed into previous set coating is land locked in there, it isn’t going anywhere – you are simply improving the ratio of lubricant to contamination.

Over time and X number of re-lubes, obviously this ratio continues to degrade. Especially so if riding gravel / mtb / cx, or any wet ride – your chain isn’t water proof so wet rides a large amount / huge amount of contamination is trucked deep inside chain where it is pressed into set lube – hence a full clean and re-set is needed post any wet ride NO MATTER WHAT DRIP LUBE you run.

With immersive waxing, each re-lube you are popping chain into 400 to 500ml of 100% lubricant. The old wax coating with any contamination melts off into wax pot, and chain is re-coated with a fresh coating of wax. Over many re-waxes obviously the wax in pot will be less amazing vs new fresh wax, but you can do the math on how long it would take to get a pot of 400ml + of wax as contaminated as the lube on your chain when you are adding 0.02ml per link each re-lube which has zero flush cleaning.

Just in case you hadn’t read this previously, any lube that claims it cleans as it lubes is lying. Once one manufacturer claimed and there was no one testing to check this before ZFC, everyone claimed it cos it sounds great. They don’t.

So – hopefully the above helps explain that yes – many of the latest gen lubes are a) brilliant drip lubes and b) can perform exceptionally well for a particular event and c) resist dry contamination impressively for a decent stretch as they set to a chain coating vs wet lubes where every particle sticks on contact – obviously day in day out, riding and re-lubing – the friction and wear will increase.

If you think you will have the same level of low friction chain after 2000km of riding as what you had when it was minty fresh – you will not. Periodic maintenance is still required to fully solvent flush clean and re-set. Remember not only does a higher friction chain cost you watts of power to back wheel, the watts increase is also going into eating through your chain and drive train components faster."

MikeD

by MikeD

I am amazed by the longevity of Smoove (when applied with a heat gun). No other wax lubes have this longevity. I wish they would have Tungsten Disulfide added to it. Maybe a first coat of Bananaslip and an overcoat of Smoove will give the equivalent. Tungsten Disulfide is sold so I may be able to add it to Smoove, but a small particle size is needed and might not be available. Anyone know what particle size is used in Bananaslip or in Silca Super Secret lube?

aosjimzaw

by aosjimzaw

MikeD wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:11 pm
I am amazed by the longevity of Smoove (when applied with a heat gun). No other wax lubes have this longevity.
Guys, Smoove longevous? I've used Squirt and if any comparison is possible, I was struggling getting past 200km...

But besides, on my first application of Absoluteblack graphene I've done 1800km - 35000mt ascension and it was spotless up to, say, the last 5%. (see my review some pages before this)
On my second application now and since it's going to be much flatter courses + trainer I count on reaching 2000km mark.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I always found it quite laughable when a product claimed that it both cleans and lubes your chain at the same time. Either it cleans or it lubes not both simultaneously. The first time I saw this claim on a bottle, I picked it up opened it and poured a little into the cap and went yup this is pretty much degreaser. Actually when on vacation in europe I purchased a small container cause I couldnt find a degreaser but they did have an actual lube that I purchased as well.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:20 pm
I always found it quite laughable when a product claimed that it both cleans and lubes your chain at the same time. Either it cleans or it lubes not both simultaneously. The first time I saw this claim on a bottle, I picked it up opened it and poured a little into the cap and went yup this is pretty much degreaser. Actually when on vacation in europe I purchased a small container cause I couldnt find a degreaser but they did have an actual lube that I purchased as well.

What's there to laugh about? Almost all dry lubes use a solvent carrier which functions as a cleansing agent. The solvent then evaporates and leaves the lubricious solids behind. Of course newer dry lubes are moving away from high VOC formulations so you just have to wait a bit longer for the evaporation. Is it an optimal process? No. Does it work? Yes.

aosjimzaw wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:28 pm
MikeD wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:11 pm
I am amazed by the longevity of Smoove (when applied with a heat gun). No other wax lubes have this longevity.
Guys, Smoove longevous? I've used Squirt and if any comparison is possible, I was struggling getting past 200km...

But besides, on my first application of Absoluteblack graphene I've done 1800km - 35000mt ascension and it was spotless up to, say, the last 5%. (see my review some pages before this)
On my second application now and since it's going to be much flatter courses + trainer I count on reaching 2000km mark.

Smoove is gummier or more "plastic" than Squirt, so it tends to last significantly longer than Squirt. You won't get anywhere near 1800km on one application though.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Yeah but are the dry lubes not of higher viscosity once it flashes off the chain. From the lubes I have seen that are both cleaner and lubricant seem of very low viscosity which might penetrate but didnt leave much for lubrication behind. I have moved to waxing and I think thats where I will stay now that I have a process down. I think maybe winter riding might be a bit more of a challenge but I will figure it out. I still have some Squirt and Banana Peel for additional lube for winter applications.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

DaveS

by DaveS

No lube will remove dirt that's worked its way inside the chain. I remove mine at least every 1000km to exchange for a clean one in my rotation of 3-4 chains. I've been using my home made liquid wax lube for over 2 years now. I can easily get 250km between reapplications.

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

I waxed my Sram flattop chain with the new Silca wax and will top it up from time to time with UFO Drip. Only did a short ride because still waiting for Specialized to decide what they are going to do with my creaky frame set but on that short ride, it was very silent and chain turned very fast. But honeystly, couldn't feel much difference compared to a clean chain with only UFO Drip on it - which is the same point also made by Zero Friction Cycling. The only issue I have with UFO Drip is the mess it leaves on the RD

tepextate

by tepextate

I'm looking to get into chain waxing and had a newbie question.

I'd like to use Dura Ace chains and want to do them in batches (3-4 at at a time).

I know Shimano says that you're not supposed to re-use the quick link once you break them.

So how do you guys who use Dura Ace chains re-wax them? Do you just ignore Shimano's instructions?

Thanks for any advice!

ms6073

by ms6073

I have always taken such disclaimors as more of an attempt at curbing silly law suits in the US than an actual danger of failiure after reusing the links. While I am not currently using Shimano's chains, I have never had an issue reusing KMC (or Connex) quick links, but I will qualify that by adding that I use the proper tools for connecting/disconnecting the links.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

tepextate wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:27 pm
I'm looking to get into chain waxing and had a newbie question.

I'd like to use Dura Ace chains and want to do them in batches (3-4 at at a time).

I know Shimano says that you're not supposed to re-use the quick link once you break them.

So how do you guys who use Dura Ace chains re-wax them? Do you just ignore Shimano's instructions?

Thanks for any advice!
I break and reuse Shimano's quick links many, many times before I discard them. They are pretty snug to close and I think you'll know when the time to discard them comes since they will get easier to close.

tleo

by tleo

Connex Link tool free reusable link.

https://www.connexchain.com/en/product/connex-link.html

tepextate

by tepextate

Got it. Thanks, guys! Do you think it's better to use a reusable link (like the Wipperman one that tleo posted) or just reuse the Shimano QL a few times before swapping them out?

integration

by integration

tepextate wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:52 pm
Got it. Thanks, guys! Do you think it's better to use a reusable link (like the Wipperman one that tleo posted) or just reuse the Shimano QL a few times before swapping them out?
I went with the wipperman quick link and keep the once-used Shimano ones around as a backup. The wipperman one is quite superior to the other designs as it's somehow designed to not snap into place and lock yet it's secure. When removing them, as soon as I begin to pull the chain together to release the tension at the link it already loosens and requires zero force to unlink them. I can see how the wippermans can be used an indefinite number of times as it's somehow designed to bear a very minimal amount of load/tension when connected together.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com