3T Strada sub 6kg goal with cable disc and mechanical shifting

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

AndreLM

by AndreLM

This is really nice!

I just notice that the Farsports F1 barstem also has an option for a "Vision" conversion kit, which I think should be the same as FSA ACR.

Honestly, I cannot see how they could convert what looks a typical stem with cable routing in front of the stem, to the FSA system... But it might be worth to investigate.

https://www.wheelsfar.com/f1-handlebar-p0096.html

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takolino

by takolino

dmetzinger wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:30 pm
Amazing work Takolino! I'm a little bummed that I installed Aeroflys on my Strada a few days before seeing your post. Metron 5 or 6 were my first choice but I already had a Barfly Garmin/light mount for my stem and it didn't appear that the Metron came with a head unit/GoPro/light mount option (I usually do one ride a week that starts in the dark).
Thanks dmetzinger! Sorry that the timing didn't work out. For anyone else considering the 5D ACR, it does come with a pretty robust and slightly heavy head unit mount.
AndreLM wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:03 pm
This is really nice!

I just notice that the Farsports F1 barstem also has an option for a "Vision" conversion kit, which I think should be the same as FSA ACR.

Honestly, I cannot see how they could convert what looks a typical stem with cable routing in front of the stem, to the FSA system... But it might be worth to investigate.

https://www.wheelsfar.com/f1-handlebar-p0096.html

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing AndreLM. I did look at the F1 as it's a nice looking aero bar/stem combo when I was initially rountig the cables externally. ACR as designed seems to offer two ways to rout the front brakes, either from the front through the headset or over the top of the steerer. The F1 seems to offer just the front port solution which seems to be fairly common for the latest integrated routing solutions, therefore, should work with those ACR compatible frames (and drilled fork steerer). But for the Strada which has a non drilled steerer, the Metron seems to be the way to go so far. Giant Contact SL was a contender but the stem weighs 300g for a 110mm.

janberto

by janberto

Ah, haven't opened this forum in quite a bit, but you did it! Amazing! Now the big question: How does it brake?

Also, we need some more pictures :D

takolino

by takolino

Thanks janberto! I'm glad you tuned in. When my special order for the Aeolus RSL fell through (sob story above) there was no choice but to go with your suggestion. I think the end result is going to be much better than it would have been with the Aeolus with the exception of weight going up by 100g or so. The bars look pretty good on the Strada. Come back maybe this weekend. I should have posted some pics by then.

BTW Trickstuff brakes finally arrived. I'll wait to see if the cables work smoothly with the Metron bars before I decide to use them. I may want to reserve them for a future weenie build. Maybe an Aethos...

easyv

by easyv

takolino wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:27 am
So here's a quick update on the Metron 5d ACR bars.
Since the spacers that came with the bars weigh a ton and they didn't include a headset top which wouldn't have fit the 1/18" headset anyway, I ended up 3d printing a spacer cover to hide the skinny carbon spacers and the top headset bearing.

The cable routing is now a bit cleaner than before. Front brake cable will be completely hidden. The rear brake and shifter cables will still be visible just behind the stem but it's out of the wind and out of the way.

Viewed from the top, the cables are now totally out of the way. Still need to cut a mouse hole for the cables to come out through the top cap.
Wow, that's amazing custom work with the 3D printing! Look forward to seeing the final pics of the whole setup one you get everything dialed in.

takolino

by takolino

Good news and bad news on the setup of the Metron 5D ACR, at least so far.
I had to mod a couple of parts and the good news is I think it looks pretty good. The cable bends, especially at the stem and top cap where the front brake cable makes a 90 degree bend into the fork, was the most concerning but friction is tollerable and the brakes work fine. Rear derailleur also shifts without any issues. I did file off a bit of the bung to allow the cable to make a more gradual bend to minimize friction and that seemed to do the trick. So everything seems ok at least in appearance.

On to the bad news. Basically, the cable routing as it is won't work. The handlebar won't turn past 45 degrees or so without binding and pulling the cables because there's not enough slack. The cable loop can't be made longer because of the angle of exit/entry and the distance is too small. The situation would only get worse if I reduce stack. I'm currently at 40mm of spacers and I'm planning to reduce it to 20 or 30mm. The cables just can't bend freely in that amount of space. Pics below show the build up and the last pic shows the steering as far as it will turn. It looks like I'll need to try something else. I have some ideas but it requires more modding of the top cap or an entirely new one 3D printed. More to come.

Cables had to be routed first with the handlebar off the frame.

Front brake cable bend is gentle enough after I filed the bung down to allow more space.

With the top cap holding everything in place, it looks preetty good. I'm especially happy with the hidden front brake cable.

But here's the problem. Rear brake won't return in this position because of drag. Cables start pulling out beyond this angle.

gSporco

by gSporco

Wow, well done!! once your done you should email your build to Vroomen. Maybe he can get some ideas on what the next Strada should look like...

Did you drill a slot in the compression plug to get the front brake through the steering tube?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

takolino

by takolino

Hey gSporco, thanks for the compliments.
I used the slotted ACR compression plug that came with the Metron bars. It's kind of heavy at 24 grams but I ended up using it because I did not have a lighter one that could be modded. I may try to find a lighter plug later. This integration thing is adding a lot of weight. Vanity vs weenie, which one wins? Pretty sure it's not going to be sub6 anymore. Maybe 6.1 kg.
Attachments
IMG_8287.jpg

easyv

by easyv

Any way to incorporate some cable stops or something inside the top cap to prevent the cables from sliding in and out of the port you've created when turning? Man, if you manage to solve that problem, you end up with a VERY clean looking setup!

takolino

by takolino

Thanks easyv! Sorry, I think my explanation wasn't very clear. The cable housings actually stay put inside the topcap. The problem is that I couldn't add more links than what you see in the photos above. It sounds a bit illogical to not be able to just make the housings longer but I think it's because the cable has to make an "S" bend near the top tube. The links don't have enough flexibility to make that bend and it starts to bind up. So because the housings are too short, it limits the steering to about 45 degrees.

To solve this issue, I initially thought about using more flexible housings but I think that will cause too much friction for the rear brakes. So I moved the exit ports to the top surface so that the cables can bend more freely. I 3D printed a new topcap to test it and will give it a try this week. Stay tuned.

GrafZeppelin

by GrafZeppelin

Amazing work Takolino!

I have a bargain 3T Strada frame waiting for a build and I've been following your project with great interest. Maybe I would dare to try internal cables too. My plan is to build it with 13x1 Campag Ekar, so hydraulic brakes would be used. Do you estimate problem with turning the bars is only related to rear brake or does it include shifter cable too?

Did you design the spacer to match bearing cone and stem yourself? I im gonna probably use FSA ACR stem so something like that is needed to match it with frame and I have not found any industrial designs.

takolino

by takolino

Hey, GrafZeppelin, thanks for checking out my build. My hope is that what I learn and figure out is useful to others.
As for the cable routing challenges, it's mostly with cable actuated brakes. I think derailleur springs are generally strong enough to resist cable friction so as long as the bends are gentle enough, you should be ok.

The spacer is custom. Happy to share CAD files if you want. Since the FDM printed parts are not as strong, I'm actually using carbon spacers underneath. I used Whisky carbon spacers as they are thinner than most and also lighter weight. 32.6mm diameter. This was so that the 3D printed spacer can sit on top of the headset compression ring and not rub on the bearings.

If you decide to go with the Metron 5D ACR, you should know that you'll need to modify the bars slightly and make a cut out in the top cap for the cable exit. I'll post these mods when I can confirm everything is working flawlessly. As with any type of modding, there's some risk but I think the mods that I am doing are pretty minor.

gSporco

by gSporco

takolino wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:07 am
Hey gSporco, thanks for the compliments.
I used the slotted ACR compression plug that came with the Metron bars. It's kind of heavy at 24 grams but I ended up using it because I did not have a lighter one that could be modded. I may try to find a lighter plug later. This integration thing is adding a lot of weight. Vanity vs weenie, which one wins? Pretty sure it's not going to be sub6 anymore. Maybe 6.1 kg.
Maybe manufactor a plug from carbon or plastic and epoxy it in place with routing holes and threaded center to lock down preload? And make it long enough that you can cut the steerer and still have the plug in place
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

takolino

by takolino

Great idea, gSporco. I've actually considered that for normal builds, but the motivation wasn't there since the ultrastar usually works for me. This is a good enough reason to try though. I was going to glue a carbon tube inside the steerer. The tube would have holes drilled every 5mm or so. That way you could move the threaded part up and down if necessary. Then use a toggle nut. Just nap it in and tightening would lock it in place. I haven't tested one to see how strong it is. Thanks for the suggestion.

GrafZeppelin

by GrafZeppelin

takolino wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:19 pm
Hey, GrafZeppelin, thanks for checking out my build. My hope is that what I learn and figure out is useful to others.
As for the cable routing challenges, it's mostly with cable actuated brakes. I think derailleur springs are generally strong enough to resist cable friction so as long as the bends are gentle enough, you should be ok.

The spacer is custom. Happy to share CAD files if you want. Since the FDM printed parts are not as strong, I'm actually using carbon spacers underneath. I used Whisky carbon spacers as they are thinner than most and also lighter weight. 32.6mm diameter. This was so that the 3D printed spacer can sit on top of the headset compression ring and not rub on the bearings.

If you decide to go with the Metron 5D ACR, you should know that you'll need to modify the bars slightly and make a cut out in the top cap for the cable exit. I'll post these mods when I can confirm everything is working flawlessly. As with any type of modding, there's some risk but I think the mods that I am doing are pretty minor.
Thank you for your advice!

I would really appreciate the CAD-files since that is not the field I have any expertise in.

Im planning to use FSA ACR stem and combine it with Deda superzero DCR bars, because I like the shape and I have them in 38cm to stay aero in widht. That combination might work with the modified topcap, printed spacer and the FSA plug which allows front brake cable to pass through fork steerer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com