Sneaking new kit in at home so no one notices... tell me your stories...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

Nope shit just shows up. She knows when a box shows up then we can afford it. I'm not one to stack it on a credit card or over spend and she knows that.

Ringo

by Ringo

When it’s all black and white no one notices!
Same thing with components: pure carbon never leaves traces!
Specially with assos black bibs. I have 4 and my wife knows that I have only one.
I wash them by hand after every ride
XXTi
C60

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

@RyanH....how come gt3 over a cayman GT4?

Is the difference that much in driving exp?

Would appreciate a real world view vs journalists..

RyanH

by RyanH

@rudye9mr

I don't want to derail the thread but they're not my cars and the answer is probably the same as why someone chooses an Argonaut vs a Specialized SL6 expert or comp (cause for some people, when you got that much money you always buy the one with the highest price tag).

I'll also add that my father was visiting the other week and he has a GT4. I had him take a quick drive up and down Mulholland in my 911 with Ohlins since he's never driven a 911. He was surprised at how much fun the car was to drive without pushing it. The oddly weighted 911 feels a lot different than other cars.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

RyanH wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:58 am
Steve Curtis wrote:This thread makes for some sad reading. My wife encourages me to buy whatever, frames, wheels, watches etc.
If I can afford it then why hide it? If I / you can't afford it then that's just stupid.
Ease up there big guy. Relationships are complicated and a wide variety of things may happen in those relationships that differ from your view of how the world should work but could be perfectly healthy otherwise.

I just splurged over $7 grand on a mountain bike after I bought a Porsche 911 as a toy last month. My wife gave me shit for it as she should have. My friend bought a GT2RS a few months after he bought a Ferrari 488 which was about 3 months after he bought a GT3RS. He ended up in the proverbial dog house too. Would you call that a sad life too?

Just cause you can afford it doesn't mean your purchasing behaviors are above criticism or catching flack from your significant other.
Your buddy might consider if he have more fun time with his cars than his wife!
It seems all those cars also need time or why have them?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

14sandee

by 14sandee

Rishie wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:17 pm
14sandee wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:29 am
As a teenager living with my parents it's more about my parents not noticing. Mum's a cyclist and is just as into the kit as I am; she's provided some useful interest-free loans when bargains have appeared on eBay. Dad hasn't a clue - I changed the wheelset on my winter bike, which he rides in the summer, for a set with completely different logos that're 500g lighter and he hasn't noticed yet... He doesn't even know how many bikes we have. Been a bit harder with lockdown because he's at home when deliveries arrive...
Your mother sounds like a bit of a legend!
Definitely!
All-City Zig-Zag / Custom Trinity / Crockett / 2014 TCR / Tom Bromwich Singlespeed / Kinesis "Kermit" Pro6

14sandee

by 14sandee

@RyanH Ohlins on a 911... Is that an EMotion Engineering setup?
(Sorry to hijack the thread)
All-City Zig-Zag / Custom Trinity / Crockett / 2014 TCR / Tom Bromwich Singlespeed / Kinesis "Kermit" Pro6

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

@RyanH...thanks for the ans and context..

Ohlins are on a different level...i've driven an evo ix on thr DFV version with Michelin PS4s and its a weapon on winding roads...

I have high hopes for the Power Road TLR based on how much the PS4s compound dominates in reviews ...but they don't seem to score as high as Conti or Pirelli..

Might try Pirellis next on bicycle just to see what a current F1 supplier can do for bicycle tires...

kode54

by kode54

rudye9mr wrote:@RyanH...thanks for the ans and context..

Ohlins are on a different level...i've driven an evo ix on thr DFV version with Michelin PS4s and its a weapon on winding roads...

I have high hopes for the Power Road TLR based on how much the PS4s compound dominates in reviews ...but they don't seem to score as high as Conti or Pirelli..

Might try Pirellis next on bicycle just to see what a current F1 supplier can do for bicycle tires...
I was disappointed with pirelli tires on my road bike. Was just meh. I was expecting probably what you would expect after driving with Pirelli tires on the car. Not the same.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

RyanH wrote:@rudye9mr

I don't want to derail the thread but they're not my cars and the answer is probably the same as why someone chooses an Argonaut vs a Specialized SL6 expert or comp (cause for some people, when you got that much money you always buy the one with the highest price tag).

I'll also add that my father was visiting the other week and he has a GT4. I had him take a quick drive up and down Mulholland in my 911 with Ohlins since he's never driven a 911. He was surprised at how much fun the car was to drive without pushing it. The oddly weighted 911 feels a lot different than other cars.
Did the circles buff out from the roof rack? That would drive me crazy. If
My bike has to fit inside the car. So no 911 or similar for me.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I only had an issue once. A package came from UK with a new pair of Sidi's. I came home from a long day at work and the kids were saying mom was mad at you. Not wanting to push any buttons we all ate dinner together. After dinner, I asked my wife where my package was and she was telling me we need to talk about it. She was joking and mentioned that if you want to spend $500 on shoes, it's ok. She mentioned that it's my only vice. I work hard, I bring home the money, I do not stay out late at night, and I'm not a drunk. What more can she ask? She also knows I'm cheap so if the shoes were only $500, how much of a discount did I get?

Never had a problem after that. 30 years married, I guess we are stuck with each other.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

My wife is guilty of buying bike parts online without telling me as well but I don't get excited about it though. Actually it makes me laugh cause her spending will only be after the bills are paid as well. She has purchased saddles and peddles in the past which saves me from buying them. Outside of having expensive purebred cats cycling and cycle trips are the only things we do. I did have an adventure moto but it was getting ignored in the corner after 10 years of riding and in need of a rebuild which I wasn't motivated to do or pay for so I sold it. I would rather spend my money on bicycles and my wife is okay with that choice.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Lol my Mrs is just happy when I'm out the house and giving her some piece and quiet..
Problem I have is she seems pretty good at guessing costs of things....
But honestly she's happy maybe only the carbon wheels she didn't quite understand...

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

MoPho

by MoPho

We have a severely special needs child (and another typical) and it makes for a lot of stress on family and relationship life, I always "joke" that my riding (and cars) are important to keep us out of the news, so my wife kind of tolerates it all.
That said, I mainly keep the bikes a secret from my wife becuase she is not into clothes, jewelery, or any hobbies that are expensive, so it is hard for her to understand my expensive toys and it is just easier for her to not know than to have her question the money. So I am in the "all my bikes are black" camp as to not draw too much attention to them. I have been sort of good at getting rid of the old bike when buying a new one though, so I don't have much of a collection.

Now the cars are harder to sneak past her, fortunately the special needs kiddo loves riding in my Lotus, so the wife mostly approves of that. The other car, not so much LOL

The time that cycling sucks up is also a point of contention :(

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

@kode54...ty for feedback on the pirelli-s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com