Firefly FF028 Ti Road

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MiloAS

by MiloAS

The best bike on WW IMO. New wheels look great, have you got any training wheels after flogging the others?

jrobart

by jrobart

That's tight!
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbaillie

by jbaillie

MiloAS wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:21 pm
The best bike on WW IMO. New wheels look great, have you got any training wheels after flogging the others?
Just a cheap set of OEM Bontrager ones with an 11-26 cassette mounted, but honestly unless conditions are terrible I'll probably keep these on full time rather than deal with constantly swapping brake pads.

tepextate

by tepextate

Wow, that is really something. Love absolutely everything about this bike. What were the traits of the Enve 3.4s that appealed to you so much?

jbaillie

by jbaillie

tepextate wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:28 am
Wow, that is really something. Love absolutely everything about this bike. What were the traits of the Enve 3.4s that appealed to you so much?
Thanks for the kind words! I've enjoyed the evolution of this bike over the decade. The 3.4's, and specifically with the R45 hubs, ticked key boxed for me: Stable in wind, lightweight, very nice riding, and fairly serviceable, although the internal nipples are annoying. They're noticeably more stable than the Reynolds wheels I'd raced on, and a fair amount lighter than the Jet 4's.

tepextate

by tepextate

That all makes sense! Out of curiosity, how long have you been cycling for? I've been cycling for a few years now (although most of my experience to date has been on a tri bike) and I look forward to the day that I can tease out ride characteristics to the degree that you can.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Not much longer than you - I bought my first road bike in 2009 (a Scott whose head tube I cracked in a crash) and the Firefly is only my 2nd. A lot of the swapped parts are honestly just aesthetic (like trading the original 3T cockpit for the Thomson bits) but wheels and tires definitely have a more tangible impact on riding.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

I have a burning question for anyone who runs an Uno stem:
I'm in the midst of a two-phase update for my cockpit, first transitioning to an Uno -7deg 130mm stem with a 10mm spacer on top (I would like to keep it this way rather than further cutting the steerer). I have a dozen spacers lying around, but none of them fit the "girth" of the stem, they're all too wide. The least-worst one is an old Bontrager spacer, but it still hangs way over:

Not related, but I'm temporarily running a Hylix seatpost. I've had it on another build for a year or so and I am not confident in this thing holding my keister over rough roads.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I use Point One Racing aluminum CNC spacers. They fit the Uno perfectly. I got them from Torontocycles.

Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Whoa, that does look great - and extra points for seeing it with the CK top cap.

... but holy moly that TorontoCycles website. You put your credit card in this thing??

Slammed

by Slammed

jbaillie wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:38 pm
Whoa, that does look great - and extra points for seeing it with the CK top cap.

... but holy moly that TorontoCycles website. You put your credit card in this thing??
The Tronto cycles site is super crpytic and wack, but lots of people on WW use it. When the site is actually open, it's the best place to buy ti bolts and other tuning stuff.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Slammed wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:23 pm
The Tronto cycles site is super crpytic and wack, but lots of people on WW use it. When the site is actually open, it's the best place to buy ti bolts and other tuning stuff.
Well put. I've made an order for those as well as a set of Wolf Tooth spacers that look like they may fit pretty well.
First ride on new setup (Hylix post, Uno stem, Donnelly LCV 28mm tires). Felt awesome. Can't wait for the other new pieces to arrive to get this into full "go" mode. These tires are absolutely awesome. That spacer is going to drive me nuts though.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yeah I have good experiences with TorontoCycles. Is his store open? I just went to the site's homepage and saw that it's still shut down. You managed to buy the spacers from them?

---May 12th, 2020 Update---

The problem I am having is an extreme mail delay. We are currently having more mail in the system than Christmas and half the
workers. Since most small packages cant be tracked I have to remain closed.

---April 2020---

I decided to put the store on vacation today. As we all know recent events have placed a strain on everything including the postal
system. I have been dealing with late packages and some returns.

Too bad because this is a busy time. I'll watch to see how things go and will keep everyone posted.

All orders placed up to this date will still be processed but please dont place orders. Paypal fees are not refundable.

Talk soon, Tom

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

That Hylix isn't going to hold up. Please put the thomson back in.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Frankie - B wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:23 pm
That Hylix isn't going to hold up. Please put the thomson back in.
Seatpost is phase 2 of the update - won't have the new one for a few weeks though. The Hylix is a placeholder, partly to just make sure I'm getting the correct amount of setback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com