3T Strada sub 6kg goal with cable disc and mechanical shifting

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Super work very impressed! Hope it holds up well!

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

MattMay

by MattMay

Awesome work...love it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takolino

by takolino

Here’s a quick update. I got Sram ti mounting bolts for the brakes and installed the aluminum backed brake pads. That saved around 35 grams. (Shared brake pad weights a few posts back). Installed the seatpost and gingerly rode it around since I’m still waiting for the Aeolus RSL bars to replace my cracked stem. Just riding around flat roads, the seatpost seems to hold up fine. No movement whatsoever but I’ll wait till I get the new bars before I take it on a proper ride.
Current weight: 6.04kg on my scale. Huge savings from the seat post mod. The RSL bars should get me to sub6. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

steel bolts

Sram Ti bolts

easyv

by easyv

Awesome progress! As another NorCal 3T Strada owner, I will readily admit I don't have your benchtop skills (nor equipment!), but your build is an inspiration as to what I might be able to accomplish on my end to lighten up my bike. Look forward to your final buildout. Is the Bontrager RSL the only piece missing to complete your build at this point?

takolino

by takolino

MrCurrieinahurry,
MattMay,
Thanks for the positive words!
easyv wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:38 am
Awesome progress! As another NorCal 3T Strada owner, I will readily admit I don't have your benchtop skills (nor equipment!), but your build is an inspiration as to what I might be able to accomplish on my end to lighten up my bike. Look forward to your final buildout. Is the Bontrager RSL the only piece missing to complete your build at this point?
Thanks, Easyv!
I think the RSL will be the final piece that gets me to my sub6 goal. That being said, I honestly can't commit to this build being complete. I can be noncommittal sometimes.

To me, a bike is like a prototype. I ride, I tweak, repeat. especially as new products become available. If Darimo ever ships a Strada seatpost, for example, I may still consider it. I think this is demonstrated here on ww with some projects going many years, which I think is pretty cool.

When I initially started planning this build, I was considering 9170 since the weight penalty could be justified by better brake performance and reliability over cable/hydro. I ended up choosing weight over performance, however, because I was committed to getting to sub6. (see, I can commit.) Plus, I’ve already built another bike with Juin Tech brakes and they work pretty well.

Then I saw Klaster_1’s Di2 mods and, well, it got me thinking. I have a brand new set of ST R9170s from before I started, I’m an opportunist shopper on ebay. And I just ordered a pair of C21s from Trickstuff. So there’s a good chance more weight is coming off the Strada. Stay tuned.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

takolino wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:31 am
And I just ordered a pair of C21s from Trickstuff.
Oh my, these are ~5g (with this adapter) lighter than RX-4 (115g with mount bolts and pads installed, no hose furniture) in the front. If the fork doesn't require an adapter, like BMC Teammachine, even more savings could be had.

dlj2119

by dlj2119

takolino wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:32 am
Here’s a quick update. I got Sram ti mounting bolts for the brakes and installed the aluminum backed brake pads. That saved around 35 grams. (Shared brake pad weights a few posts back). Installed the seatpost and gingerly rode it around since I’m still waiting for the Aeolus RSL bars to replace my cracked stem. Just riding around flat roads, the seatpost seems to hold up fine. No movement whatsoever but I’ll wait till I get the new bars before I take it on a proper ride.
Current weight: 6.04kg on my scale. Huge savings from the seat post mod. The RSL bars should get me to sub6. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.
Have you (or anyone else) tried replacing the two traversing steel bolts in the Juin tech calipers with titanium ones? I've wondering if removing them (they are very tight) will do anything to the hydrolics. Gotta be another >15g there.

I've been using a carbon/graphite tube for a custom seatpost pin rather than ti or stainless for >3000km now. Could save you another 4g. Used a golf club shaft purchased at a thrift store for $1. Custom cradle can be made from carbon tube as well, 7-8g. Wouldnt have full length rail support though.

takolino

by takolino

Klaster_1 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:55 am
takolino wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:31 am
And I just ordered a pair of C21s from Trickstuff.
Oh my, these are ~5g (with this adapter) lighter than RX-4 (115g with mount bolts and pads installed, no hose furniture) in the front. If the fork doesn't require an adapter, like BMC Teammachine, even more savings could be had.
Unfotunately Strada fork requires the plate which is about 11g plus 2x flat head screws which I'll probably upgrade to ti. In my email correspondence with Trickstuff, they said the c21 without pads is 79g. Their pads are around 11g but not sure the weight of their banjo fittings. Some light aluminum ones available. Will update once I have all the parts.

takolino

by takolino

dlj2119 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:09 pm
Have you (or anyone else) tried replacing the two traversing steel bolts in the Juin tech calipers with titanium ones? I've wondering if removing them (they are very tight) will do anything to the hydrolics. Gotta be another >15g there.

I've been using a carbon/graphite tube for a custom seatpost pin rather than ti or stainless for >3000km now. Could save you another 4g. Used a golf club shaft purchased at a thrift store for $1. Custom cradle can be made from carbon tube as well, 7-8g. Wouldnt have full length rail support though.
I believe there are fluid passages connecting the two halves. Probably an o-ring or gasket seal in there. It may hold if you remove one side at a time but I didn't try. Good thinking. I'll check it out.

The carbon tube is another great idea. I just ordered one on amazon. Will be way easier to drill than ss. Will report back with results. The cradle tube, I couldn't find the right size but I'll research this further. Thanks for the additional ideas. This is why I love ww!

dlj2119

by dlj2119

This rockwest tube worked for me. 18.50$ and made 4 cradles.
46603-C0575-BLOWOUT Tube - Fabric - 0.875 x 1.118 x 5.75 Inch - BLOWOUT 1

dmetzinger

by dmetzinger

easyv and takolino, where are you guys at? I'm in Brentwood but ride all over the Bay Area. We should do a Strada meet up and ride! I have a Tarmac SL7 Pro frame ordered so the current plan is to tear down the Strada and put the Red AXS group on the SL7 (long story, but i got a great deal on the Strada which makes it possible to have an SL7 Pro with Red for $6k or so). If I do that I may do a 1x Strada build, considering Campy Ekar but haven't really researched weight implications. However the 13 speed set up does seem ideal for such a project. Strada currently has all Red other than crank, which I swapped out since I had a Force crank with power spider. It's boat anchor "as is" but could easily lose with a couple of pounds with a few mods.
Attachments
Strada.jpg
Seven Axiom SG - Force AXS rim brake
Colnago C50 - Campy Chorus 12
Wilier Filante - SRAM Force/Red AXS
Wilier Zero SLR - Red AXS

takolino

by takolino

dlj2119 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:12 am
This rockwest tube worked for me. 18.50$ and made 4 cradles.
46603-C0575-BLOWOUT Tube - Fabric - 0.875 x 1.118 x 5.75 Inch - BLOWOUT 1

This is a great hack. Looks like you got lucky with the cradle size. The "blowout" on the rockwest site was for that one size only. Some of the other sizes were way more expensive. I should receive the bolt tubes by this weekend. I may try this hack on my other "lightweight" seatposts.

Hey dmetzinger, feel free to pm me.

takolino

by takolino

Chainring and cassette conundrum
So I’ve been thinking more about the drivetrain as it relates to the purpose of this bike. I was initially interested in the Strada because of the unique combination of aero, 1x and disc. I’ve already incorporated disc and 1x in my bikes but mostly for practical reasons since I don’t race. The idea of aero has always interested me and I was curious to find out how much of a difference it would make to an enthusiast cyclist. So when a good deal became available, I took the opportunity to try it out.

Now, why am I bringing this up now? I’m having second thoughts. Not about the bike but about the drivetrain. Using a 40t chainring with a 9-32 cassette to save weight on an aero bike is perhaps misguided. If I want to get the full benefit of aero, I should consider the efficiency of everything on the bike. The wheels are deeper. The tires are matched to the width of the rims. The handlebars are aero and integrated. There are lighter handlebars but that wouldn’t make sense for this bike. So, why a 40t chainring and a 9-32 cassette?

An aero bike will weigh more than a climbing bike for obvious reasons.
Here are some compromises on this build.
Frameset - Strada vs Izalco Max disc 180g
Wheelset - LB WR50 vs Feder 25 200g
Handlebars - Aeolus RSL vs XXX integrated 50g

So to get drivetrain efficiency on a 1x setup, I need to ditch the 9-32.
Gearset - 40t, 9-32 vs 50t, 11-40 (similar range) 140g+
This would probably make it a lot harder to get to sub6. So, what to do?

I ride a compact chainset with a standard 11-25 on my normal roadbike which I think is well matched for where I ride. I use the entire range of my cassette. So what is the equivalent in a wide range cassette for 1x? 11-37 is the closest but I’ve never seen one. I should be able to get by with an 11-36. (I would think twice about Moody, Westridge, Los Trancos.) An 11-38 or 11-40 would work too but we are getting further away from sub6.

So given this new gearset conundrum, I have a few options.

11-36 - no lightweight solutions at the moment. Sroad is a relative newcomer producing monoblock steel cassettes that are light-ish. I have their 10-36 and it weights around 280g. They say a 11-36 is coming soon. I’m guessing 280g-300g. A 50T chainring will also add weight. I’m guessing around 20g. So that’s a 100g hit at a minimum. Bye bye sub6.

11-34 - Sroad has one with claimed weight of 230g. This may be doable. Not ideal ratio and the spacing will probably be sub-optimal but no worse than 3T 9-32.

11-32 - sram 1190 is 196g and is a great wide range road cassette but I may not be able to do my favorite climbs with it. I can try it on my roadbike and not use the small ring just to see what happens. If I can do my favorite climb with it, this is the best choice so far. It’s light enough and has decent gear spacing. It’s only up to my legs.

Other suggestions welcome. No silly alloy cassettes though. This is an everyday bike.

easyv

by easyv

Feel your pain! I'm pretty happy with my 38T (AbsoluteBlack CX round chainring), 9-32 (3T Overdrive) but of course always looking for better. Holding off on any other modifications such as looking at SRAM's XG-1190 or Rotor's 11-32 in anticipation of what Shimano's new Dura-Ace brings to the table. Could also look at Campagnolo's new Ekar 1x13 gruppo. Personally, I think it seems a little heavy for a weight weenie build (especially the cassette) and not sure I'm ready to migrate to a whole other ecosystem of standards (N3W driver, etc.).
Last edited by easyv on Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

easyv

by easyv

dmetzinger wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:28 pm
easyv and takolino, where are you guys at? I'm in Brentwood but ride all over the Bay Area. We should do a Strada meet up and ride! I have a Tarmac SL7 Pro frame ordered so the current plan is to tear down the Strada and put the Red AXS group on the SL7 (long story, but i got a great deal on the Strada which makes it possible to have an SL7 Pro with Red for $6k or so). If I do that I may do a 1x Strada build, considering Campy Ekar but haven't really researched weight implications. However the 13 speed set up does seem ideal for such a project. Strada currently has all Red other than crank, which I swapped out since I had a Force crank with power spider. It's boat anchor "as is" but could easily lose with a couple of pounds with a few mods.
I'm in the South Bay in the Mountain View / Palo Alto area. Would love to meet up for a ride, though from my side, probably will have to wait until COVID-19 subsides a bit as I visit my elderly parents fairly regularly and so don't want to put them at risk! Would love to hear your comparison of the Strada with your new SL7 and look forward to seeing what you'll do with the Strada frame if you strip it for parts to get the SL7 up and running.