New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I generally prefer black everything for wheels. On some bikes though, tan walls actually look quite nice, not on any bike though. Not all bikes can pull off green sidewalls, same for pink! :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Titanium22

by Titanium22

I have 23c gp 4000 Sii on 21mm ID carbon hooked rims. They Measure about 26.4mm.

I know this is seen as "perfect" for aero (28mm external rim), but I'm concerned about damaging the rims. I have ordered 25c GP5K, and it seems these might be the same dimension?

Also, no one has mentioned that the tyres in the same size, GP4k or GP5k weigh the same, at least in 23 or 25c. If 25c are the same size as the old 23c why do they weigh more? A 23c GP4k weighs around 200g, but the 25c GP5k weighs around 220g? or 10% more.

More rubber?
Thicker carcass?
Thicker Belt?

Conti say, its faster, more comfortable and increased puncture protection!

svendsvin

by svendsvin

My experience is that gp 5k is 24,5mm new on a 15mm rim and gets about 1mm wider for every 2mm extra rim width.

It then later grows about 0.5-1mm from age

So a 25c gp 5k tire on a id 21mm rim will be 27,5- 28mm wide

edit:
(at around 80 psi)

Titanium22

by Titanium22

Thanks svendsvin, I have just installed a new 25c GP5k and it does indeed measure 27.5mm as you said it would! :beerchug:

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

My experience with the GP5000s is that they are pretty much the worst tire I have ever owned. No traction in the wet, not a good ride, and more flats than I have ever experienced. It is like continental looked at the GP4000, tossed out everything good and decided to call the garbage a new tire I will never again purchase GP5000s. This is the first time I have ever tossed tires with ~400 miles.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

On my second set...done about 4000kms on these
Pros
-Fairly fast
-Pretty robust on tread
-Nice handling
-Plenty of sizes
-Made in Germany
Cons
-Sidewall cuts easily
-Tread squares off after 2000kms
-Not the best in the wet
-Not the best braking feel

I'd give it 8/10.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Lewn777 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:21 pm
On my second set...done about 4000kms on these
Pros
-Fairly fast
-Pretty robust on tread
-Nice handling
-Plenty of sizes
-Made in Germany
Cons
-Sidewall cuts easily
-Tread squares off after 2000kms
-Not the best in the wet
-Not the best braking feel

I'd give it 8/10.
what are some good rain tires to try?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Pressure plays a huge role in wet weather grip. I find GP5000 'okay' in the wet, predictable, better than most Schwalbes I have tried, but not as grippy as Corsas which are in my experience some of the grippiest tires in the wet, I haven't tried every tire on the market obviously. IMO Corsa are almost rain specific tires, heavy and slow so I never liked them on dry roads but they grip no matter what so the weight and RR is forgotten when roads are damp.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:46 pm
Pressure plays a huge role in wet weather grip. I find GP5000 'okay' in the wet, predictable, better than most Schwalbes I have tried, but not as grippy as Corsas which are in my experience some of the grippiest tires in the wet, I haven't tried every tire on the market obviously. IMO Corsa are almost rain specific tires, heavy and slow so I never liked them on dry roads but they grip no matter what so the weight and RR is forgotten when roads are damp.
I want to believe you on the corsas but the vittoria MTB tires that use the "graphene" are literally the most dangerous tires you can run. Slick as snot on wet roots. They do last forever tho. Maybe its the F1 Rain tread on the corsas?

Corsa control or regular? Or are they about the same in the wet?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

FactoryMatt wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:17 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:46 pm
I want to believe you on the corsas but the vittoria MTB tires that use the "graphene" are literally the most dangerous tires you can run. Slick as snot on wet roots. They do last forever tho. Maybe its the F1 Rain tread on the corsas?

Corsa control or regular? Or are they about the same in the wet?
Making a good compound for pavement, wet or dry, and making a good one for MTB and especially wet roots are two entirely different things. I don't ride mountain bikes much nowadays but a few years back, I loved the grip of Schwalbe MTB tires, but hated how slippery Schwalbe Ultremos and Ones were on wet roads.

I have not tried the Corsa Controls, I think they use the same 4 compounds as the regular Corsas, the added molded texture probably helps more to grip in rougher pavement and cobbles than they do anything on just wet pavement.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

xcnick wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:46 pm
I’m fitting some 5000 to my 25mm wide fulcrum (external) and they come up tiny compared to the 4000 I’m replacing.

4000 measure 26mm wide and 26mm high

5000 measure 24mm wide and 22.5mm high!

I’m so annoyed I don’t know whether to return them!
The 25mm 5000s are a better aero fit for your 25mm wide Fulcrum tires. With the 25mm 4000s you were getting the lightbulb effect. I guess, though, with the 25s you'll have a greater chance of pinch flats because they're not as tall.

champ340

by champ340

I had been using GP4000 4Season 28mm on 17C internal wheels but there wasn't enough vertical clearance on the fork and was getting a touch of chainstay rub on the rear so had to switch to 25mm.

I want to get the GP5000 in 28mm if I can. Will these fit or am I dreaming and need the 25mm still?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A7050 using Tapatalk

tleo

by tleo

According the bicyclerollingresistance.com the GP 5000 28c on a 17mm rim inflates to 28.5mm wide and 26mm tall.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... comparison

uraqt

by uraqt

I use the Corsas in the rear on my rain bike and after trying all the other brands it's still the best ... I am extra fat so I have a bigger than normal contact patch.. but every gen has gotten a little better, that said I haven't used the current graphene 2 version as I still have NOS Gen 1 n storage.

I live in norcal so it's not raining cats and dogs but I do ride in the rain every chance I get (it's the only time nobody passes me)

I have been testing the GP5000 as the GP4000 was my back up for the Corsas and it's better than the GP4000 but not sure that it's better enought to replace the Corsas... the ride is just so plush on the Corsas...

C

Neillp

by Neillp

Cream wall version out in 25mm only non TL, calimed weight 255g

https://www.continental-tires.com/bicyc ... df-edition

Not sure where you can buy them from yet though

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com