Merlin Inferno – with a little bit of yellow

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Konsi

by Konsi

Powerful Pete wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:32 am
Just wanted to say that it's a cracking build. Looking forward to seeing the full list and weights!
Unfortunately heavier than expected, 8.7kg.

I will add the rest of the infos tonight or tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Konsi

by Konsi

I completed the first post, also with a few more photos. Happy World Bicycle Day!

adfinni

by adfinni

Incredible photos and thanks for the update on components and weights.

A few questions:
1. What's the angle on the stem. 17 degrees?
2. What is the clearance of the front tyre in the fork?
3. What is the clearance of the rear tyre both at the bottom and top of the chainstay area?

Thanks.

Konsi

by Konsi

adfinni wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:28 pm
Incredible photos and thanks for the update on components and weights.

A few questions:
1. What's the angle on the stem. 17 degrees?
2. What is the clearance of the front tyre in the fork?
3. What is the clearance of the rear tyre both at the bottom and top of the chainstay area?

Thanks.
It is a 17 degree stem, it might move down a few millimetres in the next weeks. And I prefer the look if toptube and stem are (almost) parallel.

I don’t know how to properly measure the clearance. I would guess about 3mm all around, and I wouldn’t go for larger tires (mine measure a bit over 29mm on the rims).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That’s a nice looking bike. You do nice work, a little offbeat sometimes, but it’s done well and meticulously looks like.
Oh, to measure any tire clearances honestly, my test is always the “passing of the wand” method around the entire tire in between the part of the frame you’re trying to measure the clearance at. The “wand” is the largest Allen key that will fit comfortably through and pass side to side like a wand without binding.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ToughInTheStreets

by ToughInTheStreets

Konsi, this turned out so well :beerchug: .

I was seriously contemplating picking up one of these framesets a while back, but can't find many reviews or information on them in general. Then you posted your pictures in the "show your discs" thread and got the wheels turning again. How do you like it so far? Any gripes or complaints?

It's even better to see that you are using an FSA BB386Evo/BB86 bottom bracket. How is the clearance? Did you have to use any odd spacer configurations? That was the only thing holding me back from getting one because I want to keep my crankset/power meter which is a Force22 crankset with Quarq spider.

Konsi

by Konsi

ToughInTheStreets wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 pm
Konsi, this turned out so well :beerchug: .

I was seriously contemplating picking up one of these framesets a while back, but can't find many reviews or information on them in general. Then you posted your pictures in the "show your discs" thread and got the wheels turning again. How do you like it so far? Any gripes or complaints?

It's even better to see that you are using an FSA BB386Evo/BB86 bottom bracket. How is the clearance? Did you have to use any odd spacer configurations? That was the only thing holding me back from getting one because I want to keep my crankset/power meter which is a Force22 crankset with Quarq spider.
Hello,

I mostly like it so far, but I have no other road bike to compare it to, it is my first proper one, also my first carbon frame.

With reference to the frameset, I have three issues, if you consider these things important enough:
- the screw for the seatpost clamp is a little on the small side, only one of five tools fit, and it is very soft
- the Decals are not under any kind of clearcoat, if you clean your bike, some of them can be washed off
- I sometimes have really strong vibrations when using the frontbrake, but I cannot rule out 100% that I didn't put the headset together properly (it has a lot of rather odd parts and doesn't come with a manual)

The bottom bracket seems to be fine, it was installed by a bike mechanic, who commented that he thinks it fits snug enough that I shouldn't have any issues. I only used the spacers which came with the bottom bracket.

Best

Konstantin

ToughInTheStreets

by ToughInTheStreets

Konstantin, thank you for the insight and those very valid nuances. They may not be deal breakers, but certainly need to be taken into consideration. I also read that the saddle fixing clamp only works with round saddle rails, which is irritating. I am still weighing my options, but this frameset covers so many of the features that I look for in a bike. :thumbup:

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Hello,

I mostly like it so far, but I have no other road bike to compare it to, it is my first proper one, also my first carbon frame.

With reference to the frameset, I have three issues, if you consider these things important enough:
- the screw for the seatpost clamp is a little on the small side, only one of five tools fit, and it is very soft
- the Decals are not under any kind of clearcoat, if you clean your bike, some of them can be washed off
- I sometimes have really strong vibrations when using the frontbrake, but I cannot rule out 100% that I didn't put the headset together properly (it has a lot of rather odd parts and doesn't come with a manual)

The bottom bracket seems to be fine, it was installed by a bike mechanic, who commented that he thinks it fits snug enough that I shouldn't have any issues. I only used the spacers which came with the bottom bracket.

Best

Konstantin
Hiya,

Cracking build!

I have the same frameset. Odd as my decals were under clearcoat but I did remove them.

My first frame had a crack in the bottom bracket shell. Merlin replaced with no quibble and quickly.

As for the headset and bung. I had to replace all of it as no matter what the headset came loose. As you say lots of parts and no guide. This is were Merlin weren't so helpful to be honest.

Oddly I get the judder still from the front under braking!

Really like the frameset for the money.

Konsi

by Konsi

gazzaputt wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Hiya,

Cracking build!

I have the same frameset. Odd as my decals were under clearcoat but I did remove them.

My first frame had a crack in the bottom bracket shell. Merlin replaced with no quibble and quickly.

As for the headset and bung. I had to replace all of it as no matter what the headset came loose. As you say lots of parts and no guide. This is were Merlin weren't so helpful to be honest.

Oddly I get the judder still from the front under braking!

Really like the frameset for the money.
The first frame I received was also broken (toptube) and swiftly replaced. Merlin confirmed that this headset configuration should be correct, will see on the weekend if it still vibrates.

Ghastly

by Ghastly

I'm building mine also!

First problem: oval rails on my Specialized saddle don't fit the seatpost... How did you make it work?
Little bit weird that they route the rear brakehose under the bb out of the frame...

Otherwise nice bike!! I have a Ultegra Di2 and 50mm carbon clincher waiting to be bolted to the frame!

Konsi

by Konsi

Ghastly wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:20 pm
I'm building mine also!

First problem: oval rails on my Specialized saddle don't fit the seatpost... How did you make it work?
My saddle has round rails ...

Konsi

by Konsi

Konsi wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:25 pm
Ghastly wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:20 pm
I'm building mine also!

My saddle has round rails ...
An update on this - it seems there is a different seatpost head/clamp for carbon rails (from Prorace). I ordered one and will report back once it arrived.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Konsi

by Konsi

It is the first birthday of my Merlin Inferno this week, and I have done some updates over the last weeks, hence it was time for some new photos. Also had the chance to ride with a photographer colleague, so there are some action shots as well.

What has changed since last year May?
- 11-32 cassette in the back, there are too many steep roads in the alps (and I participated in the NatureMAN in the Gorge du Verdon
- Oval chainrings from Absolute Black instead of the regular FSA
- Expander from Schmolke
- Road pedals from Time to replace the Shimano-MTB
- Powermeter (left side only) from 4iiii
- Saddle is now a Selle Italia SLR Boost Superflow in carbon (I hope the saddle clamp will avoid slippage)

All in all lost about 300g with the updates.

The bike saw about 7500km of usage in one year, it would have been more had I not broken my leg in October. I had plans for three triathlons (Half-Ironman, Ironman, Alpe d'Huez), the Etape du Tour, Alpenbrevet, and Tour des Stations for this year, but it seems unlikely any of those will go ahead.

After a bike fit, the seat height is 76cm, with a 14.5cm bar drop.