Focus on...Focus

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

hmarin

by hmarin

engi wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:53 am
Anyone have a XXL/61cm Izalco Max? If so, what is the frame weight? Izalco's stack seems to be a bit more aggressive than similar bikes (e.g. Cannondale SS), so forced to the larger size, even though 58cm/XL reach is perfect.
around 1100gr, but beware the SSPS is great, and stifness at BB is excelent, but seastays i am not so sure, mine cracked couple of inches down from the brake bridge, non drive side following the seam line! mine is mid 2015, and it looks like tubes are two part glued together, TT too.
focus_izalco_max_seatstay.jpg
Focus still does not want to warranty it. :roll:

and there is another one but other side
focus_izalco_max_A2GR_seatstay.png
Marin

engi

by engi

hmarin wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 am
engi wrote:
Anyone have a XXL/61cm Izalco Max? If so, what is the frame weight? Izalco's stack seems to be a bit more aggressive than similar bikes (e.g. Cannondale SS), so forced to the larger size, even though 58cm/XL reach is perfect.
around 1100gr, but beware the SSPS is great, and stifness at BB is excelent, but seastays i am not so sure, mine cracked couple of inches down from the brake bridge, non drive side following the seam line! mine is mid 2015, and it looks like tubes are two part glued together, TT too.

Marin
Thank you for the numbers and sorry to read about the stays, real bummer!
One of the other frames I considered is Fuji SL 1.x, and reportedly, there are also accounts of seatstays cracking.
Could it be that both Focus and Fuji are really pushing the material limits in the name of weight savings and/or compliance?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

ducman wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:11 am
Heres my precious, Schmolke se
atpost added. 😁

Really like your style. Nice bike.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

reedplayer

by reedplayer

engi wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:26 pm

One of the other frames I considered is Fuji SL 1.x, and reportedly, there are also accounts of seatstays cracking.
Could it be that both Focus and Fuji are really pushing the material limits in the name of weight savings and/or compliance?

i think there is no need to get hysterical because of two cracked seatstays. :wink: i join izalco max frames since 2014, although a lot of my mates here are riding those frames since years, and it is the first time that i hear of cracked seatstays. although the google search only finds one exemplar, the blue one from above, a team bike (you can see it at the missing integrated derailleur hanger front, the early teambikes used a clamp)
https://www.ruckuscomp.com/news/2017/10 ... ay-repair-

hmarin

by hmarin

reedplayer wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:56 am
engi wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:26 pm

i think there is no need to get hysterical because of two cracked seatstays. :wink: i join izalco max frames since 2014, although a lot of my mates here are riding those frames since years, and it is the first time that i hear of cracked seatstays. although the google search only finds one exemplar, the blue one from above, a team bike (you can see it at the missing integrated derailleur hanger front, the early teambikes used a clamp)
https://www.ruckuscomp.com/news/2017/10 ... ay-repair-
Right you are, but this 2 part tube joining, any other brand doing that? I need to add that XXL Izalco Max sizing wise is like 62cm steel ones for 20 y ago, but ride is :thumbup: , I have come to Izalco Max because of reach and yes it soo long, although couple of cms in table. I am riding Canyon Endurace AL XXL 58,5 TT and 150mm stem,
with izalco max 60,4 and 120 is perfect.

engi

by engi

I'm the opposite in terms of reach. I've long legs and a short-er torso. So I end up running a 86.5cm seat height (BB-saddle top) and because of that, need a good bit of stack at the head tube. But at the same time, I could do away with ~390mm of reach and a 130mm stem.
So most race bike geos are not well suited, unless I go to the largest size (but I want the smallest possible frame, because WW), and even then it doesn't look pretty with headset spacers and a flipped up stem.

ducman

by ducman

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:47 am
ducman wrote:
atpost added. 😁

Really like your style. Nice bike.
Thx :)

brackc

by brackc

hmarin wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 am
engi wrote:

focus_izalco_max_seatstay.jpg

focus_izalco_max_A2GR_seatstay.png

Marin
That glue line (read: adhesive join) you're talking about is common to pretty much every frame in existence. Essentially it's used to 'weld' two carbon tubes together permanently.
It should be a thick area of the frame and thus pretty strong. One of the more common issues at these areas is lack of adhesive used, resulting in voids in the join, which weakens the join and can lead to failure. Leuscher Teknik has a lot of videos on carbon bikes on his youtube channel if you want to research this.
To warranty this essentially you need to prove that the cause of the crack wasn't an external force (e.g. rock strike, crash, mis-handling), but rather a composite failure due to incorrect assembly of your particular frame... which is a tough ask unless you're a material expert like Leuscher Teknik is with appropriate analysis technology.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

brackc wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:52 am

That glue line (read: adhesive join) you're talking about is common to pretty much every frame in existence.......
right, f.e., i owned a cannondale super six evo himod 2013 with ud surface which looked exactly the same.

furthermore, there is only very little load/stress on the seatstays, chainstays are carrying most of it. so, as said, it might be very difficult to proove that the damage occured without mechanical impact.

@hmarin: are you going to get it repaired? its a very easy repair and should not cost to much!

regards,

hmarin

by hmarin

reedplayer wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:36 am
brackc wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:52 am

That glue line (read: adhesive join) you're talking about is common to pretty much every frame in existence.......
right, f.e., i owned a cannondale super six evo himod 2013 with ud surface which looked exactly the same.

furthermore, there is only very little load/stress on the seatstays, chainstays are carrying most of it. so, as said, it might be very difficult to proove that the damage occured without mechanical impact.

@hmarin: are you going to get it repaired? its a very easy repair and should not cost to much!

regards,

Thank you, it seemed to me also, at the beginning, but coin test suggests that split or crack is progressing further down 1,5cm. So I lost confidence in this frame.

All in all, well, I did see all of Raul videos and else, but this is the top model of one of the top companies, and warranty process is unbelievable, but nothing new.

Izalco is on the way to Focus factory in Germany, I am waiting for the outcome.

On the load and strain and compression in carbon tubing, I only know that Izalco is softer then my Canyon Endurace AL, I have same tires/wheels.

So there is some flex at the seat stays too, and I guess gluing was not perfect.

Cheers,
hmarin

reedplayer

by reedplayer

hmarin wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:03 am

..... Izalco is on the way to Focus factory in Germany, I am waiting for the outcome.
Hi,

all the best for your claim! let us know, how focus handled the case!

regards,

ToughInTheStreets

by ToughInTheStreets

Anyone have any experience with their thru axle Focus on a trainer? Only option I've found is the Robert Axle Project trainer axle for use on an on wheel trainer

reedplayer

by reedplayer

ducman wrote:
atpost added. 😁

i really like this bike, proportions, colours, all matches well.

ducman

by ducman

Thx 😁 still looking for a perfect stem thow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velov

by velov

ducman wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:15 am
Thx 😁 still looking for a perfect stem thow
Thomson would suit the slender lines of the frame really well...not the lightest of course.