Compression socks

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Willier

by Willier

I would like to hear your experience with compression socks-for recovery. Do you like to use them, which one...
Thx

devinci

by devinci

My opinion, and ther GF's one too ;)

is that your body doesnt need those to recover. If your body allows you to ride hard and or long, its because it can recover from what it allows you to do. Also, using these *could* weaken your body's natural capacity to rocover by itself, without compression garnments.

just my opinion though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Compression sock and/or tights are brilliant... for keeping my legs warm or when flying for longish periods. Recovery... meh, haven't seen much evidence at this stage of their claimed benefits.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

theremery

by theremery

They definately help. Compression tights definately help after you've gone "one step too far" with your training or if you are doing multi-day races. The arterial flow FROM your heart to your muscles are under pressure but the veinous system is just from valves with the aid of general movement (muscle compressions etc) sort of "squeezing" the blood back to be recycled. It's the veinous system that gets aided by the compression garments (including sox), as far as I'm aware.
The only time I use sox is after running (I use the CEPS brand....you'll need to be measured). After a cycling overdose I use Canterbury IONIX compression (full length legs) and for a milder version that is more comfortable, Diadora (full length legs). I only use them when I need to due to laziness (some reading I did suggests that they are of use even after moderate training).
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

eisoh

by eisoh

i wear them after/before races. wear them during long drives etc. keeps the legs warm and not stiff :)

houtch78

by houtch78

I wear them after races on the drive home and my legs feel pretty good afterwards. I don't feel sore the next day either.

GGG

by GGG

Use skins tights for recovery after long hard rides (3 hrs plus).

When I played lots of baskeball and indoor soccer (4 nights straight), I always pretty sore by the 4 night. When I introduced the tights, the same level of soreness was by the 5th night(which was a rest night).
Current Harem: Sally (Serotta Nove - Ti/C), Peggie (Pegoretti Love #3 - Alu), Speedy Custom Baum (Corretto - Ti)* & Climbing Baum (Corretto - Ti)*

*Lady names just never came to me.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

http://www.ausport.gov.au/sportscoachma ... d_recovery

Some relevant reading. Though would seem that this refers mainly to tights rather than socks. Correct "tightness" is everything!
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

rjk8

by rjk8

I have Zoot and CEP, highly recommend them if you ride back to back hard days.
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

dien1964

by dien1964

Willier wrote:
Wed May 04, 2011 1:17 pm
I would like to hear your experience with compression socks-for recovery. Do you like to use them, which one...
Thx
Hello Willier

Wearing compression socks is good for your legs. I wore a couple of compression socks last September when I ran my first half marathon, and I would not have possessed the capacity to survive the race without them. The race was suitably titled " Marathon on the Mountain" on the grounds that the course truly wove through the lush trails. The three days after the race was brutal. My quads hurt, my abs hurt and I was quite exhausted, however, my calves and feet felt extraordinary. There was some remaining soreness, beyond any doubt, yet I kept my socks on throughout the day and night after the race and the recovery time was amazing.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

When i just started running they made a big difference but now my body has adapted i wear them only after a +1h30 run. After shorter runs or a ride i dont feel the need to.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

They make my legs itch, so any advantage in recovery is totaly wiped out by me being kept awake with itchy ankles. :lol:

eforce123

by eforce123

for recovery- are you guys wearing these to bed also? or just the hours after a hard race/ride?

Vanadias

by Vanadias

Compression socks have been arguably the best investment for me personally. I try to wear them as much as possible, but usually just before and after riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

Vanadias wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 pm
Compression socks have been arguably the best investment for me personally. I try to wear them as much as possible, but usually just before and after riding.
How long do you wear them for and what do you feel you gain from them, especially before the ride? They're not something I've tried but interested in feedback from those that have.