Training Routines

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks Tinea Pedis and mentok... got a Timex HRM on it's way..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Getting better at climing is simple- do a lot of climbs of the type you want to get better at.
Losing fat helps too of course. But it's power/weight ratio- you need both power and (less) weight.

Besides that there is the mental aspect. If you enjoy the climbs and don't fear them, they are much more fun. You can get some of that just by doing a lot but it also may require a change in the way you think about them. Don't worry if you are not fast- no matter how fast you are up climbs there's always someone faster.

A lot of people advise to not look up so you don't know how far it is to the top. I think that's wrong, it's cowering in fear before the climb. I look up the road and at the top of the climb and think of how much more I get to enjoy.

A HRM or power meter is useful for pacing yourself if you have a tendency to go too hard, and for pacing intervals. But it's not required, and can be a crutch if you can't also go on feel. That's a good thing to learn for when the unit stops working or when you are stressed for some other reason (i.e. heat, altitude) and the power or HR do not reflect how hard you are suffering.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

The best use of a HRM I've found is longitudinal data.

So look back in 6 months, same climb, same heart rate but times are quicker. Stuff like that.

addictR1

by addictR1

@eric.. thanks for the tip. there are some gradual climbs nearby my work, so plan to use that to do some intervals.

@ Tinea Pedis: which HRM have the longitudinal data? or better yet which one do you use?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I meant in the sense that over the course of time, using your average heart rates on sites such as Strava, you can help use it to track progress.

A decreasing waist should also be another nice sign ;)

I just use the older Garmin HR strap. Has been pretty bomb proof (unlike their 'premium' offering).

addictR1

by addictR1

^^ thanks Tinea Pedia.. i borrowed my friend's Timex HRM last friday during my lunch ride.. boy was it uncomfortable. probably cuz i'm not use to it. max was at 174 and avg at 142. not sure if i want to try keeping it at max again.. i almost died out there.. lol.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Tinea Pedis wrote:I just use the older Garmin HR strap. Has been pretty bomb proof (unlike their 'premium' offering).

this times a million. i've gone through 3 premium straps, now im on a polar interation. My dad has been on the same garmin 'hardstrap' for like 8 years....lol

addictR1

by addictR1

I'm using the one from my 810. The strap is sor super comfy.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

As many of you know, I am in the Navy. I am currently deployed and will be on a ship for the next few months. I am fortunate to have a bike and stationary trainer with me. No power. No heart rate monitor. Just my bike and an MP3 player. Any recommendations for ways to keep fit and keep it interesting? I know one of my personal weaknesses is boredom. When training gets boring I tend to lose interest and gain pounds...

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Sufferfest vids?

Vids from road races? (TPB, Cyclingtorrents, YT etc)
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

If it's possible to place you trainer on the deck of the ship you can enjoy the view and breeze while training.
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Unfortunately videos are not an option. Weather and situation permitting, I can bring the bike topside (and do). But most of the time I am confined to an auxiliary machinery room... well ventilated, so not too bad. But boring!

aserota

by aserota

So if you had a completely blank canvas with 5 turbo sessions a week, anything upto 2 hours and one road ride upto 4 hours. What would you recommend?

I'm around 10kg above what I think is my 'racing' weight and have been off the bike for 5 months, until last week (just building up time on the road slowly). I was previously using the turbo 6 days a week for an hour each time, spending 20 minutes bringing my HR upto 90-95% (HIIT) and the rest of the time at 75%

efeballi

by efeballi

Sprintervals: Flat road. Easy ride/warm up 5 km at big ring, then sprint 200m. Easy pace 1.8 km, sprint 200m and so on. 20 sprints in total, 5 km warmdown. First 10 sprints at %90 of max, next 5 at %100, Optionally, last 5 at %100 and 300m.
5 km warmdown.

TT training: Flat road, 5 km warm up. Three 3 km blasts at slightly over TT power with a 1 km pause in between. Turn back toward home and TT the rest.
Climbing: Hill repeats. Lower cadence and higher speed at every hill.
Domestique: Find undertrained mate. Make him beat his PR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com