Weight training home setup

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GCapellari

by GCapellari

The benefits of weight trainig seems to be pretty clear. Both for performance and injury prevention. But it is so far away from the sport must of us love. I just can't find the motivation for it. The best thing I did for my training is to dedicate a bike to a permanent turbo trainer setup that is always ready. Just put on bibs and shoes and I'm ready to train. I kind of want to do the same for weight training by setting up a home gym and lowering the barriers for my own lazienes. Do any of you have a home gym set up? What kind of equipment would you recomend? How much space does your equipment take up?

stoney

by stoney

I have a Body Solid adjustible bench with an olympic bar/weight set and a sets of dumbells ranging from 5 to 40 pounds. It's more than you need for a cyclist to do some weight training. My 16 year old son enjoys the benefits of lifting weights as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

One can do a lot with just dumbbells and body weight exercises. Figure out a routine and then buy some basic equipment.

The harder thing to setup at home is heavy 5 rep max kind of lifting. I know that studies suggest this kind of lifting for endurance athletes but I think one can get a lot out of squats with a couple heavy dumbbells.

I just bought a bar/resistance band set so I can try doing deadlifts and squats that way. There are a hundred exercises one can do with resistance bands.

There are also devices like a Total Gym (cable pulley / sliding bench).

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Resistance bands of varying tension tied to overhead rafters and exposed studs can be used for many routines in your garage, and you can create some serious weight by combining them.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

liam7020

by liam7020

I've always found weight training beneficial and thoroughly enjoy it. After Covid lockdown I set up a gym in my garage. I have a Mirafit power cage, Olypmic barbell, a couple of benches, Body Solid pulldown machine, back extension bench, an assortment of dumbells and about 300kgs of plates. My next purchase will be a Mirafit calf raise machine. And, If I can squeeze the room, I might eventually get a leg press machine.

I find most commercial gyms, certainly in my area, to be far too pretentious these days and mostly clueless. I very happy to be pretty much self sustaining now.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

liam7020

by liam7020

liam7020 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:35 pm
I've always found weight training beneficial and thoroughly enjoy it. After Covid lockdown I set up a gym in my garage. I have a Mirafit power cage, Olypmic barbell, a couple of benches, Body Solid pulldown machine, back extension bench, an assortment of dumbells and about 300kgs of plates. My next purchase will be a Mirafit calf raise machine. And, If I can squeeze the room, I might eventually get a leg press machine.

I find most commercial gyms, certainly in my area, to be far too pretentious these days and mostly clueless. I very happy to be pretty much self sustaining now. My garage isn't big, maybe 2.5m x 4.5m.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

robertbb

by robertbb

Just get a ski-erg (they are perfectly complimentary to cycling), and if you want to do any other specific resistance work use bodyweight, dumbells or kettlebells to complete compound movements.

Unless they've spent time in a well coached environment teaching barbell tecnhique, people tend to get it wrong (or use too much weight) and injure themselves. I spent a lot of time under a barbell playing AFL at a state level in my younger, pre-cycling days.

pushpush

by pushpush

Resistance bands, a couple of barbells, and a couple of cables/pulleys can give you a lot of options in a small amount of space for a $100. It isn't as simple as doing a circuit of machines at a real gym, but it gets the job done.

The resistance bands are great for travel too. They weight almost nothing and take up no space in a bag, so it is possible to do a decent mini workout in a hotel room or wherever you need. I also like to do some arm/shoulder exercises with a resistance band while doing my low effort spinning on the trainer.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

The deadlift squat would be the most beneficial lift in all the movements in relations to cycling.

Plus it’s the largest body movement, thereby activating and releasing the most natural testosterone, which will always help you with all your other muscle growth.

I would recommend using a “open hex bar” or “hex bar” to accomplish this. As it’s safer I feel than squatting with a bar on your shoulders.

With an “open hex bar” you can do other movements such as:

farmer carry
Romanian deadlifts
Lunges, etc.

I bought mine from Bells of Steel, as I liked the bearing’d spindle. I believe REP Fitness has a nice one too, a bit pricier.

The other upper body movements can be achieved with dips, pull ups and push ups. I usually stay away from too many push ups keep my body mass lean up top.

Add in all the core exercises and you’ve built a solid foundation to push hard on the pedals with little deflection or weakness in the rest of the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

robertbb wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:28 am
Just get a ski-erg (they are perfectly complimentary to cycling)
I just couldn't imagine spending significant time on a Ski Erg. It just looks boring! Plus the piece of equipment is quite substantial.

GCapellari

by GCapellari

Thanks for all your input. I honestly haven't considered the danger of doing the low rep high weight stuff wrong without proper guidence. So for someone starting out it is brobably better to do the heavy legs stuff in the off season in the gym with a trainer. I will buy some resistence bands and some smaller weights for the hole body, for the year round maintenance. And if I know what I'm doing next year I can add heavier weights to my setup. For me it is probably more important to start a routine. Even if it is just some body weight stuff and then build from there.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Ronin416 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:37 am

I would recommend using a “open hex bar” or “hex bar” to accomplish this. As it’s safer I feel than squatting with a bar on your shoulders.

With an “open hex bar” you can do other movements such as:

farmer carry
Romanian deadlifts
Lunges, etc.

I second this. And you don't need a rack/cage for workouts. There's a lot you can do with an open hex bar. Hex bar deadlifts and hex bar squats are probably more fitting to cycling anyway. Plus you can do the above stated exercises. I also like split squats with the hex bar for some isolation. It stores nicely as well without taking up the space a full cage would.

eeney

by eeney

Ronin416 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:37 am
The deadlift squat would be the most beneficial lift in all the movements in relations to cycling.

I've gone with this option, space efficient and I read the hex bar deadlift was more useful for cycling/athletic sports.

I can't motivate myself to do upper body exercises other than those that complement cycling, eg. core. But I did buy a flywheel trainer which is like a step with a pulley and belt coming out of the middle, again space efficient (I got a very cheap version)

req110

by req110

If you really need to workout from home, which I don't recommend, get a squat rack, Olympic bar and 200kg of plates, a bench, few kettle bells.

But I suggest to setup a winter gym membership.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com