Smart scales and HRM advice needed.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

naavt

by naavt

Just to add to my previous comment on this, I've returned to the gym for a couple of months now. Been also more alert to some of the junk food I've been eating. My body is clearly different now comparing to 2 months ago. I've clearly lost some fat and gained some muscle, nonetheless all the values on my smart scale are exactly the same!

I have a set of good fat measuring calipers. It's an hassle taking measures with it, but I'm returning to that.

naavt

by naavt

eeney wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:28 am
I have some smart scales which just seem to guess body fat, etc. I was measuring 18% body fat, but a Dexa scan measure less than 10%.

I was watching videos on the Garmin scales, apparently if you know your body fat at one point in time, you can input this into the app, then the scales will use this to calibrate to you, ie. it creates a baseline measurement for you, from which the scales can be more accurate going forward..... interested to get more feedback.
No point doing that!. Its well known that fat scales send an electric signal through your body to measure fat resistance, but the signal always find the shortest path on your body.

If its measuring from your feet, it will go up from one leg and down from the other. Since men will always be more akin to store fat in the belly region, a fat scale is useless, be it a Garmin or every other thing. I have a Tanita which costs way more than a Garmin scale, its known for being a reference and its uterly garbage!
Last edited by naavt on Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

double post