Pelvis Rotation

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Hi all

Has anyone suffered from a rotated pelvis and can offer any advice as to how they went about solving it? When I got a physio bike fit interstate he diagnosed the left side of my pelvis as being posteriorly rotated and my pelvis tilted (lower on right side). I've been having ongoing Osteo treatment (manipulation and stretches) which has helped to even out my pelvis, but my left side still feels quite twisted when I'm on the bike. It feels like my left leg is pointing outwards with less power and fluidity. Off the bike it doesn't really cause me any issues. I also have a lift in all my right shoes for day to day walking.

This has been a long running issue as I've had knee pain on the left side for as long as I can remember, then for some reason it turned more into left side back pain and the feeling of being twisted. I've had several bike fits and played around with my position but no changes have helped, so everything points to it being purely a body issue. I've done extensive stretching, foam rolling, trigger point and strength work but that hasn't fully resolved the issue. I've had x-rays which have ruled out any structural problems with my pelvis or left hip.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

Weber

by Weber

It can be many things. The same thing happens to me and I couldn't find the solution. And tried shims, insole, change saddles, height, reach of the bike and some works out the bike.

If you're from Australia, isn't Steve Hoggs and his team there? I think they had quite a few articles about it. I follow a guy from Filipina on instagram who is a Hoggs approved bikefitter and he looks really good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

I would suggest to go to a sport Chiropodist (I had to Google the English name… the doctor in charge of the foot and proper insoles).
Those with cycling experience are not common cause it’s quite different than running soles… but that the foundations to discard multiple problems.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

As Weber said, Steve Hogg has written extensively on this, you should check out his info. Apparently, the great majority of the time it is this same scenario, where people rotate their right side forward/down as if reaching for the pedal, and sacrifice the biomechanics of the left side, causing left knee pain. He often refers to it has having a "functional leg length discrepancy" meaning you are moving as if your right leg is shorter than the left, even if an X-ray does not indicate an actual difference on bone legnth. Typically people will find their right knee tracks closer to the top tube and the left knee tracks away from the top tube more.

Trying a lower saddle height and/or shimming the effectively "short" leg are common suggestions, as well as corrective exercises and stretches to try to reset your default body position, as you've effectively been "practicing" moving asymetrically for a long time. Sometimes people also suggest a saddle with a wider or flatter (side to side) profile, as once you get your sitz bones positioned on it it will provide more support rather than making it easy to slide/rotate off to the side.

I have a very similar situation to you, and went to a Hogg approved fitter. I'd already tweaked my bike/shoe setup quite a bit, so mainly he suggested the exercises. I think they may have helped, but I must admit that I was not very consistent after the first few months. Also, doing big miles and high intensity was what would really get my left back and knee inflamed, and I haven't done those kind of numbers in a while, so its not really a fair test of where I'm at. I have noticable trigger points in my lower back on the lateral side of the spinal erector muscles (more on the left side, but a bit on the right too) from all the years of mistreatment, so I'd have to imagine that until they are resolved (if they ever are), my back will always have a lower fatigue threashold than it would otherwise.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry, I forgot to mention the physio bike fit I had was with one of Steve Hoggs trained fitters, Neill Stanbury. He was at least able to diagnose what was wrong with my pelvis and he confirmed I needed a 3mm shim for my right shorter leg.

The lower my saddle is the worse my left leg feels, so I've got it as high as I can without my hips rocking.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

Weber

by Weber

It also occurs to me that one forgets how to sit correctly. Think about relaxing the hips so that they have a more natural movement and stepping on the shoe with the whole foot. I must actively think about my position. I guess nobody used it but that's what the shark seat exists for, to help sit centered with a guide

In my case I have good pedaling metrics with a balance of 50% 50%, 75%+ torque and 21%+ smoothness.
Do you have this data to analyze? They can tell you something

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Weber wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:19 am
It also occurs to me that one forgets how to sit correctly. Think about relaxing the hips so that they have a more natural movement and stepping on the shoe with the whole foot. I must actively think about my position. I guess nobody used it but that's what the shark seat exists for, to help sit centered with a guide

In my case I have good pedaling metrics with a balance of 50% 50%, 75%+ torque and 21%+ smoothness.
Shark seat? Im curious.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

Weber

by Weber

spokenwords wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:15 pm
Weber wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:19 am

Shark seat? Im curious.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/s ... ark-saddle

spokenwords

by spokenwords

omg, how did i miss that thing?!
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components