Low BP after ride (ended up in hospital)

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GreenBlood

by GreenBlood

Took a (too long and too hot) ride Sunday, and colapsed in the shower. BP was measured at 80/40 and was taken to hospital for tests. Long story short, everything is fine, I had just lost too much fluid and blood was too think. Advice was to drink more. I am 53 and did just 60km but it was hot. I drank 2 mugs of tea before the ride and 1liter of water during.
I weigh 88kg. Only been cycling for 4 years, before that, I never exercised. Never smoked.
I have felt light headed after rides before, but it passed, but not time.
Any advice on what to do after a ride to keep my BP up, or manage this situation?

spud

by spud

start your rides earlier on hot days, lay off the caffiene before the ride. Drink isotonic beverages rather than plain water during and after the ride. Eat your nutrition rather than try to drink it with concentrated sugary drinks. Pay attention to your wardrobe (lighter colors, fabrics).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

In hot days, try to delay the shower. Sit down, look at your ride GPS record, gently wipe your bike and prep your kit to wash etc... when you are kind of "cooled down", then it's good to go for a shower.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

GreenBlood

by GreenBlood

I do start earlier, but haven't realised about the caffeine, I count on it to keep up;-) I will try and do more stuff afterwards and a cool down, the final push home is a 12% incline so I always finish with a pulse of 170 ish. So I perhaps need to buy a house at the bottom of a hill instead too lol

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Are you on blood pressure medication?

I am (cant out train crap genetics) and have had to drop my medication after I had a bit more time to train more.