Workout tips for aero

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hw44

by Hw44

Hi
I was searching for some tips about workouts and excercises for cyclists to be more comfortable in aero position (i mean bent arms on hoods aka Remco)
My problem is that I feel a pain in my arms not my back or neck either.
Can the problem be that I have my arms too weak ? I could not find any PRO cyclists off-bike workouts like aero specific
Truth is that I was overweight and then lost lot of weight (about 15kgs) but now I feel weak on a bike in terms of position or sprints.
I have no arms but to be honest I feel great about being lean for the first time in my life and I do not want to gain tons of muscles.
All I want is some tips about being more comfortable or stronger without spending time in gym with different types of fitness fellas.
I own a kettlebell that I do some swings with so If there is anything including this tool I would be glad.
Thanks for any tips

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Getting and staying aero is not about arm strength, its all about core strength and flexiblity
The ability to stay in position comes from core strength, the arms are there to simply steer the bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Andrew69 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:05 pm
Getting and staying aero is not about arm strength, its all about core strength and flexiblity
The ability to stay in position comes from core strength, the arms are there to simply steer the bike

Er…

Aero hoods / Sphinx is definitely more tiring on the triceps than being in the drops at the same back angle.

Anyway I don’t do specific upper body workouts for this purpose, but if I did, then it would be planks.

Hw44

by Hw44

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:27 am
Andrew69 wrote:

Er…

Aero hoods / Sphinx is definitely more tiring on the triceps than being in the drops at the same back angle.

Anyway I don’t do specific upper body workouts for this purpose, but if I did, then it would be planks.
I also think that the problem is not about flexibility. I am flexible but I feel pain on triceps not having a back or neck pain. Thanks for advice

Singular

by Singular

Core, stretching, core, stretching, core, stretching.

As mentioned, pilates and/or yoga would be great for most cyclists (competitive or recreational), bringing a ton of real-world speed that just riding is not able to develop.

stoney

by stoney

start doing some pushups placing your hands in a narrow position 3 days per week. That will strengthen your core and triceps. Do them first thing in the morning...say Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:27 am
Andrew69 wrote:

Er…

Yeah, OK, I could see that issue for some people.

Always either worked a physical job or lifted weights, so upper body strength has never been an issue for me.

Having said that, I still think the reason its tiring on the triceps is lack of core strength.

Weber

by Weber

Depending on your height and the size of the bike, the front may be low, which requires a lot of effort to stay in the position. Raising the front should make it easier to distribute the weight.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Deadlift and Squats help a lot. Having the right fit is a huge chunk of the battle.

robeambro

by robeambro

Hw44 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:44 pm
Hi
I was searching for some tips about workouts and excercises for cyclists to be more comfortable in aero position (i mean bent arms on hoods aka Remco)
My problem is that I feel a pain in my arms not my back or neck either.
Can the problem be that I have my arms too weak ? I could not find any PRO cyclists off-bike workouts like aero specific
Truth is that I was overweight and then lost lot of weight (about 15kgs) but now I feel weak on a bike in terms of position or sprints.
I have no arms but to be honest I feel great about being lean for the first time in my life and I do not want to gain tons of muscles.
All I want is some tips about being more comfortable or stronger without spending time in gym with different types of fitness fellas.
I own a kettlebell that I do some swings with so If there is anything including this tool I would be glad.
Thanks for any tips
this is my previous thread where I got a few helpful tips.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=168835

generally speaking I would say that you shouldn't necessarily try and find a magic formula of additional exercises, you mostly need to:

- ensure the bike fit is appropriate (most often the front end is too low which ends up increasing the strain on your core / upper body AND is less aero as you're not fully hiding your forearms)

- ride in the position as long as you can. ride it on the hills, ride it on the flats, ride it on the turbo.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

I have a question about aero positioning.

My background is mtb, so I'm very used to sitting upright, and getting aero has always been a struggle for me.

One area in particular is the concept of rolling the pelvis forward. My understanding is this means to shift weight from the ischial tuberosity (sitbones) to the inferior pubic rami. While I find that easy to do, I only have a few degrees of rotation until I start to compress soft tissue.

As a consequence I end up sitting more on my sitbones with an upright pelvis, and bending more from my lower back. My flexibility has improved quite a bit, so I can get kinda aero and there's no back pain associated with this position, but I would like to get to a flat back if possible.

Long story to get to this point... is it possible to keep the pelvis relatively upright (I.e. not rolled forward that much) while getting the spine/back more aero AND flat? I suppose another way of describing this.... can the back be leaned forward somewhat independent of the pelvis?

Perhaps I'm doomed to be forever arched haha!

I've been super inflexible for most of my life, so I don't know how far my body can go.

Cheers for any insights!
Kurt

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Kurt1980 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:57 am

My background is mtb, so I'm very used to sitting upright, and getting aero has always been a struggle for me.

One area in particular is the concept of rolling the pelvis forward. My understanding is this means to shift weight from the ischial tuberosity (sitbones) to the inferior pubic rami. While I find that easy to do, I only have a few degrees of rotation until I start to compress soft tissue.

As a consequence I end up sitting more on my sitbones with an upright pelvis, and bending more from my lower back. My flexibility has improved quite a bit, so I can get kinda aero and there's no back pain associated with this position, but I would like to get to a flat back if possible.

Long story to get to this point... is it possible to keep the pelvis relatively upright (I.e. not rolled forward that much) while getting the spine/back more aero AND flat? I suppose another way of describing this.... can the back be leaned forward somewhat independent of the pelvis?

I've been super inflexible for most of my life, so I don't know how far my body can go.

Cheers for any insights!
Kurt

Choose a different saddle or tilt your current one down several degrees. People always talk about how a nose down saddle outs too much pressure on the hands or makes people slide forward, but I’ve never had a problem with it…

ico

by ico

I would say: chceck your bike posture and weight distribution on bike. Sometimes, paradoxically longer stem could help (from my experience).

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:19 am
Kurt1980 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:57 am

Cheers for any insights!
Kurt

Choose a different saddle or tilt your current one down several degrees. People always talk about how a nose down saddle outs too much pressure on the hands or makes people slide forward, but I’ve never had a problem with it…
I would say it can be somewhat less "stable" depending on one's position and equipment. To me, position-wise, I've found that I'm somewhat more stable by reducing saddle setback and moving the front end higher / further (rather than going lower and shorter and sitting further back); equipment-wise the issue is much less pronounced on some saddles - on my current 3D printed Power there's definitely less sliding than on a Power Mimic I had.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com