Advice needed for returning to training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nordisk

by nordisk

I was in a bike accident that left me unable to ride for about 3 months. I couldn't even hold the bars on the trainer, and resting my arms on aero bars was almost as uncomfortable. I took up running 3x per week and did weight lifting with machines that didn't require the use of my hands. I've done that type of exercise for the last 7 months.

I'd like to know how to approach cycling again. I haven't ridden since last summer. For context, here are metrics from last year:

- Base training between 7 and 18 hours per week over 16 weeks (only Z1, Z2, and sprinting, coupled with weight lifting)
- Longest base ride was 5 hours
- In-season training between 6 and 12 hours per week (focus was on developing 3-5 minute power)
- Longest Z2 ride in-season was 4 hours
- Peak 5 sec power = 19 W/kg @ 63 kg (~1200 W)
- Peak 5 min power = 5.8 W/kg @ 63 kg (~365 W)
- Peak FTP from 20 minute test = 4.6 W/kg @ 63 kg (~290 W)

I'm about the same weight at 64 kg. Running has only been 3 hrs per week at the most, and the last 2 months I've been traveling for work and couldn't do my normal strength routine (been doing calisthenics).

What's the best way to start training again? Right now I'm not even thinking about competition, I just want to get fit enough to do some longer group rides outdoors (need to get my confidence back with that too).

Any advice you can give is really appreciated. Thank you.

AJS914

by AJS914

What do you mean by best? In the simplest terms, just get on your bike and go for a ride. Go pedal and enjoy the scenery. You don't need to start out of the gate with intervals and progressions. You get to experience noob gains again.

I also took some time off this last year. I took 8 months off where I just rowed, lifted a little, and ran. I was only doing it maybe 3 hours per week. It kept me in ok shape but not cycling shape.

I started with easy zone 2 and did that for 2-3 weeks. I also started feeding the WKO5 model with some efforts. I use mFTP, the performance manager chart, and the power duration model to track fitness. In my next phase of training, I started adding in some not too taxing efforts like 5x5 @ FTP, some longer tempo intervals, easy over/unders. Mostly keeping it all aerobic.

In 3 months I've added 60 watts to my FTP and I'm within 15 watts of my all time high. Now, I'm doing an FTP progression like 3x10, 4x10, 3x15.....

I probably need some VO2max work out because I'm not finding FTP work very taxing. (My FTP is well tested using longer protocols.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com