Baking soda?!?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Seph

by Seph

I read an article somewere declaring that some riders are experimenting a new supplement.
This new supplement is based on the use of baking soda, based on the testers that thing seems helping regarding the lactic acid during the final sprint.
Is that a real thing?

AJS914

by AJS914

It's a real supplement but not for sprinting or long distance endurance. You also have to ingest a lot of it. It's hard on the stomach and tastes foul. It's probably used more in track cycling than in road cycling.

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a ... endurance/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otnemem

by otnemem

(Lactate, not lactic acid which does not really exist in vivo. You'll read it even from science sources mentioning lactic acid buildup but it's wrong. Lactate, not lactic acid, is produced from pyruvate, i.e., it never exists in the protonated form. The H+ produced during non-aerobic glycolysis are due to reactions further up the pathway.)

It isn't really anything new and it's been well researched, even in the world of sports it's been experimented and used for a few years. The challenge, for the same few years, has been creating a PO solution that is well accepted and doesn't result in serious and fast GI issues. There's been news recently in the world of cycling because TJV has partnered with kings of hype Maurten and they'll make sure everyone knows about it.

kode54

by kode54

PR Lotion uses baking soda which is applied onto muscles where lactic acid build up occurs. Neutralizes it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Seph

by Seph

Thanks for the infos. Even if that is an old news for me sound very strange but interesting at the same point

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 9 Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kode54 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:42 pm
PR Lotion uses baking soda which is applied onto muscles where lactic acid build up occurs. Neutralizes it.

PR lotion might “work,” but not in the way you think it does. It contains menthol, which makes your skin feel cool. That cool sensation is tricking your body into thinking it’s at a lower core temp than it really is.

LouisN

by LouisN

Last year I tried the "protocol" published in physiological research, jus to see if...
For my weight it meant ingesting 21 grams (yes!) straight (diluted in water), 3 hours before the event. I just tried it before a hard training session. I was surprised my stomach took it fairly well, besides a few burps.
I felt I could push hard for longer without my legs feeling sore, but can't tell if the numbers were higher. I remember I felt dead a few days after that lol ! Never occurred to try in a real event. I only race in bunch road events so I don't think it's relevant.

Louis :)

Seph

by Seph

LouisN wrote:Last year I tried the "protocol" published in physiological research, jus to see if...
For my weight it meant ingesting 21 grams (yes!) straight (diluted in water), 3 hours before the event. I just tried it before a hard training session. I was surprised my stomach took it fairly well, besides a few burps.
I felt I could push hard for longer without my legs feeling sore, but can't tell if the numbers were higher. I remember I felt dead a few days after that lol ! Never occurred to try in a real event. I only race in bunch road events so I don't think it's relevant.

Louis :)
Would you share the article?

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 9 Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Lots on studies done on the use of Baking soda, not just in cyclists

Was very popular a while ago in distance swimming.

As Louis said, you need to take a lot and while there evidence it does work, the taste and stomach discomfort is enough for me to not bother.
I see far more benefit from other supplements with a better taste/benefit ratio like beta alanine

kode54

by kode54

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:43 pm
kode54 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:42 pm

PR lotion might “work,” but not in the way you think it does. It contains menthol, which makes your skin feel cool. That cool sensation is tricking your body into thinking it’s at a lower core temp than it really is.
Hmmmm, that's not the feeling that I got when using it. The latest version feels more like baking soda mixed with a lotion so that it sticks onto your skin...absorbing lactic acid build up or neutralizing it. Made a noticeable difference on long fast group rides.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Andrew69

by Andrew69

So this topic had me a little intrigued so I did a little searching of Pubmed.

There are two studies testing PR Lotion.
One from 2020 where the researchers studied the effects of PR Lotion on exercise performance, and one from 2023 where the researchers studied the increase in intramusclar pH.

In the first study, they found no effect on exercise performance.
In the second study, they found that there was a rise in intramuscular pH

Was does this all mean?
It means its a sham.
It does not increase exercise performace, but because the manufacturer is desperate to try and show it does something, they re-designed the study to show an increase in intramuscular pH, which in and of itself, does nothing for exercise performance.

There is even a disclaimer in the second study's conclusion that says that an increase in intramuscular pH has not yet been shown to be of any benefit to exercise performace.
Add that to the conflict of interest statement, and the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the only way this stuff makes you faster is by making your wallet lighter

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32575069/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36960159/

otnemem

by otnemem

"BW holds equity in Momentous and has served as a scientific advisor to Momentous; BW stands to financially benefit from the success of Momentous’ products; BW has engaged in this research for and is publishing on behalf of Momentous."

cjm

by cjm

otnemem

by otnemem

cjm wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:19 pm
Maurten bicarb system.

https://www.outsideonline.com/health/tr ... nce-boost/
(...)kings of hype Maurten and they'll make sure everyone knows about it.
Alex Hutchinson 🤝 Maurten

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com