Is intervals.icu + free strava a viable alternative to premium strava?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Discodan

by Discodan

Exactly as the title asks. I've had strava premium for many years for the 'fitness and freshness' tracking and the power analysis but I now use intervals for that which does a better job. Is there anything I'd be missing by cancelling my strava subscription, particularly given the price rise just announced?

The one obvious one would be routes which I do use a bit but could use ridewithGPS for that. I'm on the Wahoo platform, not Garmin, for what it's worth

cheers, d

eeney

by eeney

It is a possible option, although Intervals.icu may not be free for Strava downloads, I think there is a small fee now due to them passing their allowed/free capacity (I forget the details).

I use this combo, however like some others I have changed my feed to be "Garmin to Intervals" to remove some load off their Strava integration. I sync Strava with Garmin, then Garmin to Intervals... there are obviously plenty of options.

Intervals.icu is a great resource, simple to use but plenty powerful for me. Golden Cheetah is the other free and powerful option, but is a local install (or was), and it was a bit advanced for what I needed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Discodan wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:18 am
Exactly as the title asks. I've had strava premium for many years for the 'fitness and freshness' tracking and the power analysis but I now use intervals for that which does a better job. Is there anything I'd be missing by cancelling my strava subscription, particularly given the price rise just announced?

The one obvious one would be routes which I do use a bit but could use ridewithGPS for that. I'm on the Wahoo platform, not Garmin, for what it's worth

cheers, d
Personally the only thing I miss about Strava Premium is comparing my time with those of my 'followers' and quickly comparing efforts with my previous ones on specific segments. Would I ever pay their annual fee for this? No way. Training-wise it doesn't do anything that intervals.icu can do - and better.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

eeney wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:41 am
It is a possible option, although Intervals.icu may not be free for Strava downloads, I think there is a small fee now due to them passing their allowed/free capacity (I forget the details).

I use this combo, however like some others I have changed my feed to be "Garmin to Intervals" to remove some load off their Strava integration. I sync Strava with Garmin, then Garmin to Intervals... there are obviously plenty of options.

Intervals.icu is a great resource, simple to use but plenty powerful for me. Golden Cheetah is the other free and powerful option, but is a local install (or was), and it was a bit advanced for what I needed.
100% agree with intervals.icu/Garmin link and GoldenCheetah....enough vids on YouTube to help navigate GC

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have been using intervals now for three years and like it better than Strava Premium for analysis. I do use strava for the feed link and wonder if there is any difference using the Garmin link afterall it all comes from Garmin originally.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Kevin7767

by Kevin7767

Intervals.icu is way better than Strava for analysis, but I keep Strava around for segment times.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Discodan

by Discodan

Looping back on this. Now that my Strava subscription has expired (even after it auto-renewed despite my cancellation requiring helpdesk intervention) I've had a few weeks to experience the combo of intervals and strava free. I'd agree with all of the above, the training/power/fitness data is much better in intervals and I can use ridewithGPS for routing quite nicely. The one thing I did't realise I'd miss as much is the leaderboard functionality but I'm now so far off my fastest that it's largely academic. I will keep running like this for a while and don't plan to resubscribe but you never know