Hunting for scraps: training many times a day

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

Great to hear Calleking. I'm currently at 6-7 hours per week and since I'm not training to anything specific, that is keeping me fit enough. I work at home and could jump on the trainer for 20-30 minutes 1-2 times per day extra. I've tried it a few times. It does put some extra fatigue in the legs so I feel I have to keep it under 60% of FTP if I have a workout later in the day.

I've been thinking of trying a sustained block of this as an experiment of one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cheapvega

by cheapvega

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:56 am
cheapvega wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:07 am
But if ~5-7 hours a week isn't enough to make some decent gains in 6 or so months I prob won't bother. I'm just under 2w/kg FTP, would love to get above 3
On the other hand, you can get decently fast on 5-7 hours depending on your genetics. But you have to train consistently week after week, year after year.

I know a pretty strong rider with a 275 watt FTP and he bikes 3.5 hours per week through the winter plus swims and lift weights for a total of 5-6 hours per week. Sometimes I see running in his schedule. He follows a very structured plan through the winter.

2x per week of 1 hour on the trainer with threshold intervals
1x per week 1.5 hours of endurance

In the summer he rides outside and does a couple of group rides per week and continues to go to the gym and lift weights.
This is helpful. Thinking about it, my consistency has been seriously lacking. I dialed back my lifting to 2 days a week and am going to try to get on the bike 3-4 days a week on a similar protocol. 2 90-120 minute Z2 trainer rides, 1 VO2 workout (indoors or outdoors depending on weather), 1 outside "freestyle" tempo ride if I have the time and weather conditions

I'll test for & adjust FTP every 4 weeks. If I can stick with it for 12 weeks I'll be happy. If I see gains I'll continue, if not w/e. I want to get over 3W/kg just as an achievement, but also to increase my overall calorie burn to stay leaner.