Indoor trainer cassette compatibility / 11s 12s HG XDR etc

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

req110

by req110

Hey guys, i have bike with 12s sram axs gruppo.

I am considering to purchase indoor trainer. Most of them come with hyperglide 11s hub, where you can install 11s cassette, or maybe 12s shimano cassete.
For installing sram 12s i have to purchase driver body which usually costs around 80 eur.

Do do you think it's better to run trainer with 11s ultegra or 12s ultegra if i have bike with 12s sram axs?

I saw couple videos on youtube about compatibility, everything is possible, but i am looking for your experience.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
SW Epic 8 Satin Carbon L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p SID Ultimate / in the making

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So you have an SL7 with Red AXS and a CS OSPW and you don’t want to spend money on an XDR freehub body and a Rival AXS cassette?

Aeo

by Aeo

Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

req110

by req110

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:16 am
So you have an SL7 with Red AXS and a CS OSPW and you don’t want to spend money on an XDR freehub body and a Rival AXS cassette?
That is not an input i came for.
But on your question, yes. I hate indoor training, indoor trainers, i consider it as completely last resort on my training and not much interested in spending 80 eur for freehub body with questionable resale value / possiblity. I may end up like couple times before when i purchased indoor trainer, rode it three times and sold that.
This is useful input.
So this is HG based 12s cassette. Same like maybe Ultegra 12s right?
Do you have experience running it with AXS drivertrain?

Thank you
SW Epic 8 Satin Carbon L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p SID Ultimate / in the making

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

req110 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:52 am

That is not an input i came for.
But on your question, yes. I hate indoor training, indoor trainers, i consider it as completely last resort on my training and not much interested in spending 80 eur for freehub body with questionable resale value / possiblity. I may end up like couple times before when i purchased indoor trainer, rode it three times and sold that.

I've tried mixing Sramano 12spd. It doesn't work adequately with my particular combination of chainring size, cassette size, chainstay length, etc. At the very least you'd want to run an HG chain with an HG cassette. It's potentially a much larger headache than just buying that XDR freehub and a Rival cassette. But this isn't what you want to hear and you will ignore it.

req110

by req110

I might not ignore that after your latest update.

I came for technical updates, not to question my budget.

Section about flat top chain vs HG cassette makes me reconsider little bit more a truth is that mixing drivetrains provides more hassle unless there is some bombproof proven option.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Anecdotes are all over the place. Bobones says both flattop chains and HG chains work with his HG cassette. I couldn't get mine to stop making noise in one particular cog with or without a 1mm spacer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com