Ollie Bridgewood - from dropped to Dropper!

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cberg

by cberg

Looking at his strava he has been pretty consistent with his yearly hours since 2014 at least, doing somewhere between 6 and 700 hours per year every year.
To me it doesnt seem like he is actually training more, but perhaps some differences in training methods and everything around it.

otnemem

by otnemem

I've seen his google sheet for his regimen and he's definitely on 60 to 120mg of HWPO per day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I think Ollie has always been a strong rider and his being "dropped" was probably overdone and exaggurated for entertainment purpose. Of course his video does show that he was able to drop some weight, changed his eating habits, and altered his training some.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

naavt

by naavt

otnemem wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:35 am
(...) on 60 to 120mg of HWPO per day.
Can you elaborate on this? I've searched for HWPO and found nothing more than a workout community

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'm assuming it stands for "Hard Work Pays Off" and @otnemen was implying that he does 1-2 hours of work daily. Of course I could be wrong. I need whatever Ollie is taking because I'd love to be 5 watts per kg.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

naavt

by naavt

Mocs123 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:13 pm
I'm assuming it stands for "Hard Work Pays Off" and @otnemen was implying that he does 1-2 hours of work daily. Of course I could be wrong. I need whatever Ollie is taking because I'd love to be 5 watts per kg.
Thanks! Sometimes life is hard for a non native English speaker :D

joesch

by joesch

naavt wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:29 pm
Mocs123 wrote:
Thanks! Sometimes life is hard for a non native English speaker :D
Some anecdotal evidence from my own experience - while my annual mileage and hours have not changed significantly, structured training and coaching has substantially improved my performance. The biggest levers were consistency (riding every day instead of these long weekend rides) and proper Z2 training (no more drafting on group rides and surging up every hill). Initially I found 3-4 hours in Z2 to be REALLY hard, continuous pedalling at a constant 180-200W is much harder than it sounds and also harder than surging up hills and then recovering while coasting down on the other side.

Long story short: I can image Ollie's improvements are mostly linked to an improved training quality (building on a great foundation obviously)

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

joesch wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:11 pm

Some anecdotal evidence from my own experience - while my annual mileage and hours have not changed significantly, structured training and coaching has substantially improved my performance. The biggest levers were consistency (riding every day instead of these long weekend rides) and proper Z2 training (no more drafting on group rides and surging up every hill). Initially I found 3-4 hours in Z2 to be REALLY hard, continuous pedalling at a constant 180-200W is much harder than it sounds and also harder than surging up hills and then recovering while coasting down on the other side.

Long story short: I can image Ollie's improvements are mostly linked to an improved training quality (building on a great foundation obviously)
Same experience for me.

Ollie's improvements are also linked to watching what he eats a whole lot more too.

otnemem

by otnemem

Mocs123 wrote:
That's it. He's consistent and has been training seriously for a while (he completed The Fred over 4y ago). Then he stopped stuffing his face, dropped weight, boom, huge jump in power:weight ratio.

Even if he were on the juice - and I'm not suggesting he is - nothing turns a lizard into a Komodo dragon and nothing works if you don't work yourself.