Training for first Sportive: 65 miler.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bmcman

by bmcman

Signed up for my first ever Sportive (Haywards Heath, Sussex) with UK Velo in April.
I'm going to tackle the Medium Route which is 105km (65 miles), with 1154m elevation.
I've never ridden that far, mostly training for around 25 miles twice a week, so I'm realising this will be no easy feat!
I have started to push my rides to 36 miles (Brighton- Littlehampton), but this has no elevation to speak of, mainly due to the amount of ice on the downs recently.
I am now ready to ramp up my training and looking for some advice on how to do so. I can commit to at least two long rides a week, and possibly one short one.
Any advice on how to structure my training sessions over the next few months would be hugely appreciated!
My current training is always outdoors, but have access to a spin bike in the gym where i work.
Should I extend my current 36 miler route?
Should I attempt a 65 mile ride?
Thank you in advance! :D

Singular

by Singular

For you, right now, the advice is to ride. Don't get caught up in training plans, methods and ideas - just ride. Ride a little further every time you have the chance. Try a 100k with two big bottles and a lot of snacks, and a nice stop in the middle. Do it once again, and again. Pretty soon you'll notice a difference, one that will bring you great pleasure and pride. The most important thing for you right now are those miles in your legs, and also the experience of riding for a longer time.

If you feel like it, throw in some spins in your work gym. Do some simple, but challenging, interval work where you after a warmup will go harder and easier alternating every few minutes.

It'll be fine. And you'll love the way you evolve. Enjoy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bmcman

by bmcman

Amazing! Thank you! Will give this a go!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Different muscles are activated when pedaling against gravity…you are essentially constantly accelerating. Do your 36mi rides. Then do 50mi rides… then do 65mi rides. You should definitely acclimatize yourself to a bit of climbing in the weeks before the event.

bmcman

by bmcman

Good info- cheers!

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Great advice above, I would just say slow and steady wins the race. You've planned ahead so you have plenty of training time. Maybe just try increasing 5miles on to your ride each week so 40miles next week, 45, 50 and in no time you will be crushing the 65miles in April!

polpy

by polpy

I would also recommend to just ride, its about the time you are in the saddle not the speed you ride at. Even if you ride slow, when you are on the bike for 6 hours straight you get fatigued in a different way.

bmcman

by bmcman

So true! Just struggling with finding time to get those extra miles in! Not sure the Mrs will be happy! :-/

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Haha always the issue . I find getting out early and back for breakfast works well.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PeytonM

by PeytonM

To ride longer duration you will need to eat some food while riding. You should practice this on your long training rides.

My recommendation would be 1 long ride a week plus 2-3 short (1hr rides). This would be better then 2 longish rides on a weekend. Consistency is the key.

Good luck and have fun