Clothing for indoor training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pmprego

by pmprego

I do a lot of turbo training, especially in the winter.

I've been trying different jerseys and shirts for indoor riding but don't seem to find one that really fits the bill.
Given that it's indoor I didn't want to go for crazy expensive jerseys. However, the cheap Jerseys and shirts get some very bad smeel pretty fast (and by fast I mean after 2 or 3 rides - I of course wash the clothes after every ride and so on and so forth).

Thus, my question to people here:

- what jerseys do you people wear in the trainer?

- any specific recommendation regarding best options (brands, type of textiles, I dunno) for keeping the bad smell away??

A side question might also be: when I search for poliester shirts I can see a big range of prices but the description seems to be the same regardless of price: quick dry, lightweight and alikes. But the price changes so I imagine something must be different in the materials and/or construction.

Thanks!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MilesG813

by MilesG813

I guess my question is why are you wearing a jersey? As a man I never wear a jersey just my bibs, socks and shoes. Evaporative cooling is already more difficult indoors, why add clothing to make it harder? My wife will only wear a sports bra with her bibs, socks and shoes (sometimes she puts on a tee shirt until she warms up). I understand some believe that a layer of clothing actually helps you stay cool but living in Florida I have never found that to be true unless you are outside in the sun. So again why waste money soiling expensive jerseys when you really do not need them?
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

djel

by djel

No jersey for me as well. If it's too cold to start the fan rightaway I will do the warm-up then start the head fan.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I'm in the same boat, I never wear a jersey inside, just a baselayer shirt (mesh) to go with my bib shorts. I've recently bought a couple of Etxeondo base layers and I like them a lot. My fans are not remote controlled so I usually start my ride with a thin vest which I ditch in or right after my warm up.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

Old/cheap pair of bibshorts
Lightest cycling socks I can find
Cheapest Mesh baselayer I could find.

I've got remote fans but i'm in a conservatory which gets very cold. I start with no fans and a zip up hoodie on, then ditch the hoody during the warm up of my workouts. I find you can also control your temperature using the bib straps. I certainly feel the difference between having them on or off.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Also no jersey for me indoors. Just a tip though, make sure you have something to catch/block sweat from you frame. The only benefit of a shirt would be to absorb the sweat. But I'd rather take the cooling of no jersey.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

txg

by txg

Did no jersey for years, was ok but had to be very careful with the fans not cooling you down too much when going slower.

Some weeks ago i bought a cheap castelli insider jersey on sale (less than 40 bucks) and it is MUCH better because it absorbs the sweat. Should have bought that much earlier.
Last edited by txg on Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I wear old bibs (that are too thin for the road) and a mesh baselayer shirt.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

apr46

by apr46

I used to not wear a shirt, but now i wear just a regular sleeveless moisture wicking shirt. Seems to keep the sweat spray / salt mess more contained. Huge difference in terms of clean up for me.

I have some running ones and some rapha ones. They work about the same.

Ferry

by Ferry

No jersey. I wear a merino baselayer. Works well for me.

pmprego

by pmprego

One benefits is for sweat not to drip down my arms and chest and start messing everything. It also helps a bit when doing interval sessions.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

I also ride with no jersey, the air from the fan hitting directly against the skin cools me down much better than when wearing something. Just a pair of old bibs that for whatever reason are not OK to wear outside anymore (fabric became too thin, there are holes, etc.), thin socks, and that's it.

If it's very cold in the garage, I sometimes wear a t-shirt (normal cotton t-shirt, nothing cycling specific) for the first 5-10 minutes while warming up, which I then take off and keep around to use as a towel to wipe the sweat off.

GaBa

by GaBa

And what do you consider very cold? I train im basement where currently it's 14-15 degC. And in that temperature I wear base layer + jersey, same as I would outside in summer. I don't find this combination being too much, I still don't sweat that much.

Edit: oh and of course I also use worn out clothing that I probably wouldn't use outside anymore :)

C36

by C36

Depends on a lot of things but indoor most of the time just with the bib, if very cold i may start with a jersey and drop it once warm. If intensity varies and afraid to get too cold, I put a summer base layer.
Just this morning did a session just with the bib and the door open with -3degC outside (and no fans obviously).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

For me moving air is way more important than cold temps. I have 2 blower style fans and a larger 18” air circulator pointed at different parts of my body. One fan behind is also a pro tip.

I used to go topless in the summer, but it truly is better to have a very thin layer that wicks. It’ll only feel hotter initially before you start to sweat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com