Fluid vs smart trainer (tough choice)

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kiros38

by Kiros38

Hello,

I have emotion rollers (with cheap speed sensor) but they are being loud, therefore I started looking at turbo trainers, specifically elite suito.

But I got in dilema as I see that for the same price I can get used elite turbo muin and stages crank power meter (usable w/a trainer). Does anyone have experience with this combo? I know it's not interactive with resistance but will I be still able to do races on Zwift?

There is third option of trying to make rollers quiter and get only a power meter. Rollers actually have 3 levels of resistance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Power meter and a "dumb trainer" is just fine. I don't even use the smart resistance unit on my smart trainer except for the rare structured workout where I'll use ERG mode.

eeney

by eeney

I'd say that a smart and interactive trainer totally changes Zwift, making it engaging and lots more enjoyable. Riding with a dumb trainer and power meter doesn't give any interactivity, feeling of hills, etc. Just not the same experience, you lose a huge amount of the Zwift enjoyment if your trainer isn't smart/interactive.

With a Smart Trainer you can turn off the resistance feel and make it 'dumb', but you can't go the other way with a dumb trainer. Personally, I think that if you could buy an interactive trainer, but you opt for a dumb trainer, I think you'll regret it in the future.

Having said all of that, having power outdoors is great as well, especially after riding indoors with power, you then want/need it outdoors....so I understand your dilemna.

I was in a similar situation, but I bought a smart trainer first, then saved for a second hand stages power meter after.

That's just my opinion.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eeney wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:33 pm
I'd say that a smart and interactive trainer totally changes Zwift, making it engaging and lots more enjoyable. Riding with a dumb trainer and power meter doesn't give any interactivity, feeling of hills, etc. Just not the same experience, you lose a huge amount of the Zwift enjoyment if your trainer isn't smart/interactive.

With a Smart Trainer you can turn off the resistance feel and make it 'dumb', but you can't go the other way with a dumb trainer. Personally, I think that if you could buy an interactive trainer, but you opt for a dumb trainer, I think you'll regret it in the future.

Having said all of that, having power outdoors is great as well, especially after riding indoors with power, you then want/need it outdoors....so I understand your dilemna.

I was in a similar situation, but I bought a smart trainer first, then saved for a second hand stages power meter after.

That's just my opinion.

Sim mode isn’t why I enjoy Zwift, personally. It’s the social/communal aspect. It’s a way for me to ride (and race) hard with other people…it’s a motivational tool. Additionally, keeping the resistance controller unpaired or sliding TD to 0 means I can leverage my strengths in Zwift races. A 15% climb will have the ride feel of a flat road, and since my leg muscles are tuned for long, flat breakaways outdoors, I can put out more power indoors by doing this.

usr

by usr

I don't think anyone can predict what parts of the indoor experience they'll end up liking (or end up least disliking). Some value the virtual scenery and the shifting that goes along with it on a controllable for how it makes indoor slightly less monotonous, others dive deep into the number-driven workouts and never leave ERG mode, a variation of that group is perfectly happy chasing those numbers with shifting and cadence on the powermeter they use on the road (and would pay extra to keep it like that), yet another group only ever cares about racing and they don't care at all as long as it's the setup they get the most wattsI on.

(I was in a very similar situation, just slightly different order: first rollers + resistance, then Bepro pedals for watts on rollers and outside, then e-motion which where much less loud, but then still too loud so I ended up on a Neo)

EdWiser

by EdWiser

As someone who does a lot of indoor riding. Due my wife’s health. I have moved thru the various trainers. The current smart trainers are the way to go. With out resistance you are just spinning your wheels indoors. If you want to keep the strength in your legs you had riding out doors. Rollers are great for working on balance and smoothness of your petaling.
But they do little. To keep the muscles up.
Never ride below 100% on any cycling platform. Other wise you are just spinning your wheels.

eeney

by eeney

Where are you? is the new Zwift Hub trainer available? Cheaper than any other smart trainer... may be your answer if you're in a region where it is available.

Otherwise I see secondhand Elite trainers going for a good price secondhand, the Elite brand isn't as well known as Kickr or Tacx, so they sell cheaper secondhand

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I'd never buy a trainer second hand and I love a deal . Just having a warranty is worth its weight in gold imo.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com