Training program including other sports

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gaz9

by Gaz9

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I can't find much at all online and am at a bit of a dead end. Are there any resources for combining cycling specific training while being involved in other sports (excluding triathlon)?

I currently play football 3x60 mins a week (mon,tue,thu) and have been reading mixed information re: base miles. I can get out for 5-6 hours between sat and sun and could fit in a couple more during the week. I also have a short daily commute 30-40mims. It's suggested that you need to do 12-20 hours a week traditional base or do shorter intervals so I don't know where to start in my current situation. Would my football count towards the higher intensity stuff or should it be bike specific or even worse actually detrimental? I'm sure there must be plenty of others who are involved in multi sports but I can't find much online everything seems to be (understandably) cycling specific

Any help or direction greatly appreciated.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Football as in European football?

Fasttalk just did a podcast on cycling + running:

https://www.fasttalklabs.com/fast-talk/ ... en-vallee/

First, you don't need to ride 12-20 hours per week. 99.9% of us aren't pro, will never be pro, or even cat 1. So, do what is enjoyable first and foremost. Running around play football is probably excellent for your cardiovascular system and general fitness. I'd do your weekend riding and then try and fit in an easy Wedenesday ride if you can.

In the spring maybe you focus more on cycling?

At some point, you probably can't be the best cyclist if you put a lot of time into another sport so you have to decide what is the priority.

Gaz9

by Gaz9

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:38 am
Football as in European football?

Fasttalk just did a podcast on cycling + running:

https://www.fasttalklabs.com/fast-talk/ ... en-vallee/

First, you don't need to ride 12-20 hours per week. 99.9% of us aren't pro, will never be pro, or even cat 1. So, do what is enjoyable first and foremost. Running around play football is probably excellent for your cardiovascular system and general fitness. I'd do your weekend riding and then try and fit in an easy Wedenesday ride if you can.

In the spring maybe you focus more on cycling?

At some point, you probably can't be the best cyclist if you put a lot of time into another sport so you have to decide what is the priority.
Thanks for the reply, yes small sided 'soccer' - it's a high intensity hour, lots of short sprints covering between 6k - 7k rather than say a steady state 5k run/jog. I only race locally and do both for enjoyment but it's leaving me short for opportunities to do intervals on bike that's why I was interested in the zone 2 work this time of year and if I could get away with the football as my high intensity stuff for now.

Thanks for the link il give it a listen this evening it might be just what iv been looking for, I appreciate it thanks!

stoney

by stoney

Do you track your heart rate with playing football (futball, soccer)? If so, does it ever approach you max heart rate you can achieve cycling? The heart is a muscle and you don't want to make all your exercise sessions approach max heart rate. If you do achieve a really high heart rate when playing football 3 times per week you need to make sure all your cycling sessions are easy.

Gaz9

by Gaz9

stoney wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:16 pm
Do you track your heart rate with playing football (futball, soccer)? If so, does it ever approach you max heart rate you can achieve cycling? The heart is a muscle and you don't want to make all your exercise sessions approach max heart rate. If you do achieve a really high heart rate when playing football 3 times per week you need to make sure all your cycling sessions are easy.
Yes I do track it, it would be a mix of some moderate, mostly threshold and a little anaerobic HR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Gaz9 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:16 am
I only race locally and do both for enjoyment but it's leaving me short for opportunities to do intervals on bike that's why I was interested in the zone 2 work this time of year and if I could get away with the football as my high intensity stuff for now.

Personally, I think playing football with intensity and riding a lot of easy zone 1/2 sounds like a fantatic winter training program. You don't need to be crushing intervals in November or December.

Last year, I did almost exclusively zone 2 on the trainer through the fall (Sept-Dec). I watched a lot of movies on Netflix. :-) In January I started my build with mostly tempo based intevals and hit my best numbers yet in July.