Best HR strap

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Moltobene

by Moltobene

The actual straps themselves are a consumable and should be replaced regularly, so it's not a problem if they only last a year or so. The problem with the Tickr is that the sensor itself often lasts only about a year, while the Polar ones last way longer as they should. If they start behaving erratically, it's usually down to the battery (which drains faster on the Polar than on the Tickr in my experience, but it also uses a smaller battery).
My current H9 is now going 2,5 years and no signs of wear, although I have seen H7s in the lab last way longer even with heavy use (and cleaning). Another advantage of the Polar sensors is the HRV accuracy via bluetooth and this didn't work for me with the Tickr.

jfl

by jfl

My cheap Decathlon HR strap has been running reliably for several years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gbrnole

by gbrnole

my H9 works great. as noted above the biggest downside is battery life but i find that to be because the HR unit still consumes some power if you only disconnect one side of the strap.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It's best practice to disconnect the sensor and rinse the strap after every ride anyway. I usually fully handwash my strap with handsoap after each ride.

C36

by C36

Moltobene wrote:The actual straps themselves are a consumable and should be replaced regularly, so it's not a problem if they only last a year
That’s new… when did it turn into a tire or a chain? It should last for years, I have a polar (unknown reference) for 6 years and a Bontrager in my mountain house for 3 years, the only one that failed within 18 months was a wahoo.

Moltobene

by Moltobene

Yes, it should last for years, but it isn't uncommon for the strap to fail. Seams and stitchings can fail, closures break, electrodes fail or the glue doesn't hold them on the strap anymore. There's a reason straps are being sold as a relatively cheap replacement. The problem with the tickr however isn't that the strap fails, but the sensor (although I also heard that the strap fails relatively quickly, as you've described as well).

Spurdo

by Spurdo

My Tickr is just fine after 5 years of use, any recurring errors have been fixed by replacing the strap and/or moistening chest+strap

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Spurdo wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:51 pm
My Tickr is just fine after 5 years of use, any recurring errors have been fixed by replacing the strap and/or moistening chest+strap

My Polar H10 "pro soft strap" is handwashed after every single ride and machine washed once a week. It still works just fine. Straps shouldn't stop working just because.

Spurdo

by Spurdo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:55 am
Spurdo wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:51 pm

My Polar H10 "pro soft strap" is handwashed after every single ride and machine washed once a week. It still works just fine. Straps shouldn't stop working just because.
Sure I'd like those to last longer but I dont find on average one strap per season to be excessive when I get some 600-700 hours of use from it.

JayOJonson

by JayOJonson

The h10 has been spot on for me, highly recommend it.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I picked up a Polar H10 yesterday based on the posts in this thread.... super happy with it after the first day of use. The strap is very comfortable and stays in place. The Wahoo Tickr strap I had always wanted to fold on itself or slide down.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:01 am
I picked up a Polar H10 yesterday based on the posts in this thread.... super happy with it after the first day of use. The strap is very comfortable and stays in place. The Wahoo Tickr strap I had always wanted to fold on itself or slide down.

It's great, though have spare CR2025s handy. The H10's battery life is roughly half that of everything else on the market using deeper CR2032s.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:57 am
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:01 am
It's great, though have spare CR2025s handy. The H10's battery life is roughly half that of everything else on the market using deeper CR2032s.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know about the CR2025 but luckily I have some laying around from the Powerbox days.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Ritsuke wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know about the CR2025 but luckily I have some laying around from the Powerbox days.
Hmmmmm...

I stuck a CR2032 in the H10 and it "fits." Can you tell which one has the 2025 and which one has the 2032?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com