Looking for outside input on my current training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Hello and thanks for reading.

I'm looking for a bit of outside input and feedback on my current training plan. For context I am a reasonably experienced cyclist and runner (5+ years of experience) but started 2022 fairly out of shape, compared to my usual levels (an extended festive season in 2021).

Starting from the top, I am not looking to be competitive in races but simply motivated by trying to get the best physical performance out of myself. I'd therefore like to improve most aspects of my cycling and general riding and fitness without a focus on a specific discipline or target event. I enjoy riding solo and in groups and I also don't want to lose sight of the fact that cycling should be fun as well as for health benefits.

I have a power meter and a heart rate monitor and I've set my zones for running and cycling using lactate threshold tests per Joe Friel guidance. My cycling FTP is 245 and my cycling LTHR is 171 and my running LTHR is 177. I am a 30 year old male.

In my typical training week I mix up running and riding and usually have about 5 or 6 active days per week.

I usually run two or three times a week. One of these runs will be a longer, steady run between 1.5 and 2 hrs where I try and keep my HR below around 155. Goal of this is to boost endurance and aerobic fitness. The other one or two runs per week I do an interval session, one of either a series of hills reps, 400m intervals on a circuit or a 20 min Tempo interval.

For cycling, I try and fit in one endurance ride per week where I usually aim to complete a 4-6 hour ride non stop. I don't try and aim for a particular zone or HR, I just try to ensure I keep my breathing conversational and not end up too out of breath.

For the other one or two cycling sessions I will try and do at least one interval session. This tends to be hill reps (no special rationale for this except for I quite enjoy the session and it always feels like a good workout). I ride reps on a local steep hill which are between 1-1.5 mins each. I usually do this between 5 and 7 reps, giving plenty of beans on each rep. Per my powermeter most of the reps seem to be completed at zone 5 or 6.

I will either do this interval session twice a week or if I'm tired I will simply do a 1-3hour midweek ride at conversational pace instead to avoid putting too much strain on the body. I also incorporate an hour's worth of basic strength and conditioning per week which I add onto the back of one of my interval days.

I understand that if I really wanted to excel at the cycling I'd probably need to drop the running but I enjoy it too much to cut out totally.

In terms of trying to maximise my cycling potential, is there anything you would change or tweak with my training? I feel in reasonably good shape but beyond adding more reps to my intervals or increasing the duration of my endurance rides I am not sure what else I should be doing to improve?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Best training is the one you do.

Sounds like you are having fun, getting good hours in, and making it work with your lifestyle. That sounds totally cool to me. Based on how you laid the plan out, it seems you're studied on the fundamentals of training as well.

I could probably make a million weird suggestions, but in your 2nd paragraph you state you're going for prioritizing fun and general fitness. In your last, you state you want to maximize your cycling potential. You love running but you don't want to cut it to focus purely on the bike.

So I see some conflict with your goals. Very difficult to give specific advice. I think you need to reflect on what is most important to you, and re-evaluate accordingly. If you come back with a specific goal then we can possibly provide actionable feedback.

The best & simplest advice is to do what you love. Nobody can make that choice for you but yourself. Maybe it's a Duathlon, or maybe it's just biking. I don't know. Very compatible hobbies if you ask me.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Sounds like you do a decent amount of volume and have a good understanding of training.
Not claiming any greater understanding than you but my thoughts:

1. The only sure fire way to get better at cycling would be to add cycling volume, either on top of the current plan or at the expense of running volume.
2. Make sure you aren't doing too many hard sessions, which is a risk when doing intensity across two sports.
3. 1 - 1.5 minute intervals are good for Zone 6 but there is mileage in Zones 4 and 5. 2x20 @FTP, 1x60 @ 90% FTP and 5x5 @ 110% FTP have all helped me in the past.

stoney

by stoney

It sounds like too much intensity but you're still in the physical prime of your life so maybe not.

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Thanks all.

Agree that I could vary it up with the intervals. Due to living constraints I don't have an indoor trainer so I tend to stick to shorter intervals, otherwise it's a bit tricky trying to do longer intervals on the open road.

Agree that it's a lot of intensity - I do try to dial it back when I feel the onset of fatigue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

For big aerobic gains, do more:
4min intervals at 110%
8min intervals at 105%

instead of the 1-1.5min stuff, for me a 1min effort isn’t even really paced. I sprint at 95% of max and just go until my legs can’t turn the pedals anymore.

Not sure where you live, but I have at least one stretch of road here that is over 8km and works just fine for my intervals up to ~12min long.