Vitamins and Minerals choice

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

naavt

by naavt

I've a chronic ferropenic anemia which gets worse with consistent training. At firts my doctor prescribed me iron to regulate things but it's not the kind of dosage that I can take on a daily basis, so I've switched to a Vitamin+Mineral complex called +Watt and I'm feeling much better since.

Less fatigue feeling from workouts and a sense of more energy during day activities.

The thing is that +Watt is hard to find online and it's somewhat expensive to buy from local sport nutrition shops, so if someone is on a supplement which delivers the right dosege of iron per day as well as other important vitamins and minerals, ideally available from Amazon EU, I'll thank you in advance if you can share it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Don't buy anything online or pushed by internet advice.
Go back to your doctor and explain your issue with the type of iron you were prescribed, and specify you do endurance sport. Try another form of iron.
Eat a balanced diet. If needed, go see a nutritionist. Usually if your nutrition is fine, no need for supplements.
Louis :)

kaptanpedal

by kaptanpedal

Louis, op has a medical condition so no eating in the world can fix that.
I agree that not many products can help. Online markets, especially amazon is full of substandard or fake products. They can get into fulfilled by amazon category as well.
You need to ask a health professional for the alternatives and there must be many. Some doctors push a certain product but for supplying iron or vitamins there must be many alternatives. Like iv shots of iron for really low levels.

NealH

by NealH

First let's assume the OP eats a healthy diet and not some fad or vegetarian diet. If the chronic anemeia is serious (the OP did not provide his hemoglobin number or trend) then I agree that eating is not going to fix it. Therefore, he should go back to the doctor and find out the underlying reason for the anemia. Then treat the condition accordingly. If it can't be treated, then that usually leaves either blood transfusions. EPO or even perhaps B12 injections as the remedy.

If the anemia is mild, then treatment could be as simple as eating more red meat or other iron rich foods (especially heme). But again, he did not post his blood numbers.

Hip supplements are largely worthless, and can be dangerous to boot.

JaffH

by JaffH

LouisN wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:17 pm
Don't buy anything online or pushed by internet advice.
Go back to your doctor and explain your issue with the type of iron you were prescribed, and specify you do endurance sport. Try another form of iron.
Eat a balanced diet. If needed, go see a nutritionist. Usually if your nutrition is fine, no need for supplements.
Louis :)
Agree. It's always better to ask a doctor than people on a forum

naavt

by naavt

NealH wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:09 pm
First let's assume the OP eats a healthy diet and not some fad or vegetarian diet. If the chronic anemeia is serious (the OP did not provide his hemoglobin number or trend) then I agree that eating is not going to fix it.

Hemoglobin always about 1 point lower than reference values (13.0 - 17.0). I'm always between 11.5 and 12 in my last 4 years in a row. All other Hemogram values on the very low side of spectrum but within reference values.

Iron metabolism on the lower side: 66ug/dl (reference values 66 - 175)
Carb metabolism on the higher side: 108 mg/dL (reference values 70 - 110)

I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat a lot of red meat. Mostly chicken and turkey. Varied mediterranean diet. My diet incorporates a lot of broculi, beetroot and other iron rich foods. I'm a sugar craver though (ice creams and chocolates).

52 yo, 180 cm tall 70 kg

JaffH

by JaffH

naavt wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:31 pm
NealH wrote:
First let's assume the OP eats a healthy diet and not some fad or vegetarian diet. If the chronic anemeia is serious (the OP did not provide his hemoglobin number or trend) then I agree that eating is not going to fix it.

Hemoglobin always about 1 point lower than reference values (13.0 - 17.0). I'm always between 11.5 and 12 in my last 4 years in a row. All other Hemogram values on the very low side of spectrum but within reference values.

I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat a lot of red meat. Mostly chicken and turkey. Varied mediterranean diet. My diet incorporates a lot of broculi, beetroot and other iron rich foods. I'm a sugar craver though (ice creams and chocolates).

52 yo, 180 cm tall 70 kg
How do you manage your hemoglobin?

naavt

by naavt

JaffH wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:11 am

How do you manage your hemoglobin?
Sorry. Don't understand the question. What do you mean by "manage my hemoglobin"?

AJS914

by AJS914

naavt wrote:
Have you had your ferritin levels checked?

I have a chronic low hemoglobin number. The last was 12.6. I have thalasemmia minor which is a gentic blood trait which is perfectly normal for me. My ferritin levels are actually on the higher side. An average doc looking at my CBC will think that I'm "anemic".

It might be good to have a hematologist check you over if this is above your regular doc's expertise.

naavt

by naavt

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:45 pm

Have you had your ferritin levels checked?

I have a chronic low hemoglobin number. The last was 12.6. I have thalasemmia minor which is a gentic blood trait which is perfectly normal for me. My ferritin levels are actually on the higher side. An average doc looking at my CBC will think that I'm "anemic".

It might be good to have a hematologist check you over if this is above your regular doc's expertise.
No ferritin check! I'll ask for it on my next check up.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Fer Orotate if you can find it (I have it in Switzerland but Orotates are forbidden in Europe)
Check METAGENICS HEMAGENICS if you want a synergy with a decent form of Iron (Bisglycinate) https://www.metagenics.com/hemagenics
If you have trouble to increase Ferritin despite taking well absorbed Irons, check you gut bacteria (SIBO will consume all the iron and B12 to grow), gut inflammation. Might wanna try Lactoferrin it is an iron binding globulin naturally found in non-heated milk. Has multiple benefits too aside of helping your iron values
Last edited by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez on Sun May 08, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

naavt wrote:
NealH wrote:

52 yo, 180 cm tall 70 kg
What is that "Carb metabolism" value never heard about that.
Hope it is not your fasting glycemia?

greatstewie

by greatstewie

Vitacost brand in USA has a very good electrolye and its very inexpensive.

naavt

by naavt

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:42 pm

What is that "Carb metabolism" value never heard about that.
Hope it is not your fasting glycemia?
I'm not a doctor but quoted the exact expression written on my blood analysis sheet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greatstewie

by greatstewie

hey naavt u got a link to the +watt?