Lactate threshold training vs Ftp

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

MagicShite wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:51 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:37 am
So about Vo2max, almost everyone in here is saying no, that's it's not important when it comes to possible performance. Can someone explain more about why that is? Because pretty much every article I can find says the opposite, says how it is so important. Keeping it in more of laymans terms if possible.

Reason for asking again is not for myself but a friend who races. He's between Cat1 and 2. Like I mentioned before, he has a coach and LT and Vo2max tests are included. His schedule is really strange though. The usual mistake people are making is doing too much high intensity but in his case it seems it's the opposite. I think it's a mistake, not sure but I'll explain why his coach is having him do it like that.

For example he has only 4-5% of high intensity intervals for the next 6 weeks. All the rest is Z2. At the end of that period he has two crits and a longer maybe 4h race, and one 4h race in the middle of this 6 week block. The only intervals at high intensity are placed a week before the first race, which is a 4h race.

I am going to get to why his trainer is saying he shouldn't do more intervals. But doesn't this schedule sound really strange? The high intensity is placed before a 4h race and there is only Z2 before the crits. With that small amount of intensity, he is basically doing base training in the middle of race season. And also his interval sessions seem to be way to low on intensity. He is told to do 30/30, 40 of them at only 115% of his LT2. LT2 should be close to Ftp as I understand so that is really low.

So his trainer is telling him that since he has a high Vo2max, this year he should only be focusing on raising his LT1. His Vo2max is 67 I believe.

I am asking this because I am trying to help him. I don't want him having to pay that kind of money for no reason.

This is why I'm asking about Vo2max, since his whole training plan seems to be based on it.
Maybe it's this?

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/your ... heres-why/
Thanks, that's very interesting. That he doesn't prescribe intervalls before crits. From what I've heard Dylan Johnson say, is that you increase the amount of intervalls the closer you get to the race, and decrease Z2. Guess it depends on how close the races are to each other.

I also agree that probably many people do too much high intensity training generally. Doing a lot of Z2 is boring so I can understand why it's hard for people to maintain the discipline. Especially when we have Zwift, and so many people racing on there all winter. Probably leads to a lot of overtraining.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Ask your fren what his goals for the season are.

Most people looking for coaches go for something arbitrary like "increase my FTP!" but others might have very specific event goals, or even something less obvious like "I just need to come back from injury, and just rebuilding slowly to prepare for next season while doing 2 or 3 events this year."

But even still, there are many approaches to go about the arbitrary FTP goal because everyone is different.

That all said, IME there are more bad coaches than good. So who knows. Your hunch could be right.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greatstewie

by greatstewie

vo2 is the peak performnace. lt tests at what HR or watts body's fuel use. vo2 test gies a quantified measure of the fitness level like in numbers. then that number can be used to see how fit a person or as appose to what is possible.