Cutting the fat.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ytse

by Ytse

cheapvega wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:38 pm
Late night snacks are my kryptonite. It really does just come down to habits.
I wash my teeth at 8PM, even though I go to bed much later. With flossing and interdental brushing, the process takes about 5-8 mins, so quite an effort. After washing my teeth, I'm able to resist any snacking temptation and just drink some water. :)
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

So I guess I was wrong when you see every pro tour team forcing their ridings to basically DOUBLE their carb intake

I am sure they are eating low carb to hit race weight right....?

How is everyone feeling in this thread robbing their bodies of fuel for performance.

Go do 350W for 40 minutes up a climb and tell me your body is running on fat LOL

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

Ytse wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:55 pm
cheapvega wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:38 pm
Late night snacks are my kryptonite. It really does just come down to habits.
I wash my teeth at 8PM, even though I go to bed much later. With flossing and interdental brushing, the process takes about 5-8 mins, so quite an effort. After washing my teeth, I'm able to resist any snacking temptation and just drink some water. :)
Quit starving yourself, your body is telling you its hungry, you really think eating fruit is going to make you fat?

eeney

by eeney

waltthizzney wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:03 pm
....Go do 350W for 40 minutes up a climb and tell me your body is running on fat LOL
Sorry, my FTP is only 235 so 350 isn't practical. However, on Wednesday, I did one hour avg 97% FTP @ 3.8w/kg. Note this is within 15w of when I was eating lots and lots of carbs and I haven't trained properly for over a year. Difference is that I'm doing it now with very little carbs, just the carbs I get from vegetables. I could do it with zero carbs.

The one difference is that I do not get tired, hungry or bonk in longer rides. I'm just back from a 90km, 225 TSS morning ride without breakfast, still not hungry, just needed liquids and electrolytes. All my buddies on the ride were slamming gels (basically process sugar) and muching on banana bread (cake with more processed sugar) because they needed to keep their carbs topped up, because they're 'carb dependant'.

I cut carbs to get to racing weight for the last ZRL season, and after reading Joe Friel's latest book. Many here will know and respect Joe Friel and his books.

One expert who originally pushed carbs and carb loading for athletes was Tim Noakes, just take a look at some of recent stuff.

I think what you're refering to is the need for glucose, trying researching gluconeogenesis, you don't need carbs to produce glucose.

Back on topic - AggressiveBears, do you do any weight training? I heard doing weights can be good for weight loss, also if you dont' do it it'll be a 'shock' to your body which could trigger new adaptations and weight loss.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eeney wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:10 am
waltthizzney wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:03 pm
....Go do 350W for 40 minutes up a climb and tell me your body is running on fat LOL
Sorry, my FTP is only 235 so 350 isn't practical. However, on Wednesday, I did one hour avg 97% FTP @ 3.8w/kg. Note this is within 15w of when I was eating lots and lots of carbs and I haven't trained properly for over a year. Difference is that I'm doing it now with very little carbs, just the carbs I get from vegetables. I could do it with zero carbs.

The one difference is that I do not get tired, hungry or bonk in longer rides. I'm just back from a 90km, 225 TSS morning ride without breakfast, still not hungry, just needed liquids and electrolytes. All my buddies on the ride were slamming gels (basically process sugar) and muching on banana bread (cake with more processed sugar) because they needed to keep their carbs topped up, because they're 'carb dependant'.

I cut carbs to get to racing weight for the last ZRL season, and after reading Joe Friel's latest book. Many here will know and respect Joe Friel and his books.

One expert who originally pushed carbs and carb loading for athletes was Tim Noakes, just take a look at some of recent stuff.

I think what you're refering to is the need for glucose, trying researching gluconeogenesis, you don't need carbs to produce glucose.

Back on topic - AggressiveBears, do you do any weight training? I heard doing weights can be good for weight loss, also if you dont' do it it'll be a 'shock' to your body which could trigger new adaptations and weight loss.

I'm about the same weight as you, eat like garbage, don't do intervals and my FTP is 300W. My best real life race performances have been after gaining weight, mind you. Cutting weight for ZRL is hilarious to me, especially considering WTRL does almost no performance verification. I prefer to race in the Echelon Racing League where dual-recording, weigh-ins and real-life results filter out all the bad actors.

eeney

by eeney

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:31 am
Cutting weight for ZRL is hilarious to me, especially considering WTRL does almost no performance verification. I prefer to race in the Echelon Racing League where dual-recording, weigh-ins and real-life results filter out all the bad actors.
I only do ZRL as a team thing as part of WMZ Club which is mostly local Sydney guys, don't really care about the results, just fun to go hard for the team once per week. Hence, I want to be honest about my weight because I'm racing for my own benefit, not really to win, I don't think I've ever won any race on zwift, just take part for entertainment.

A few of our guys are moving across to MyWhoosh chasing the Sunday prize money, but other than not having the ability, I don't really have interest in serious online races, each to their own. I've bookmarked the Echalon racing and will take a look, but as you've seen from my power I'm no Cat A

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You don't care about the results, but changed your diet for it? :?

eeney

by eeney

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:16 am
You don't care about the results, but changed your diet for it? :?
Needed to lose weight anyway as it was increasing quite quickly. This gave me a good reason, plus although I don't win, I do like to pretend to be competitive in B. Having past 50 yo I like to catch my weight when it starts going up as it's getting harder to lose weight.

stoney

by stoney

eeney wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:36 am
Needed to lose weight anyway as it was increasing quite quickly. This gave me a good reason, plus although I don't win, I do like to pretend to be competitive in B. Having past 50 yo I like to catch my weight when it starts going up as it's getting harder to lose weight.
I understand the past 50 reference. I'm 55 and it's getting harder and harder to shed excess body fat.