Time Crunched "Aero" training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

robeambro

by robeambro

There's quite a fair bit of material out there regarding how to maximise your training effect if you have little time.
That got me thinking - if the objective of the time-crunched cyclist is not only to maximise power in the little time they have, but also to minimise CdA, then there are a number of questions which I believe are quite interesting:

- what is the best one or two exercises / stretches that can be done, possibly at home and with little to no tools, in order to improve one's ability to stay in an aero position for longer?

- overall, is there a cross-training activity that would work best for this? (e.g. swimming, running, deadlifts, bouldering, etc)

I appreciate it's a trite topic (what isn't?), but if one is to apply a 80-20 approach to training power, then I see no reason to "waste time" doing 20 different core exercises and stretches, crunches, squats, planks, deadlifts, elastic bands, bridges, stretches for every muscle fibre, yoga..

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I am sure others will have more informed suggestions, but FWIW:

My ability to hold an aero position is about a combination of forward pelvic rotation, lower back strength, and getting balance of weight on saddle vs handlebar right. The most aero position is with the heel of hand on the top of the hoods and fingers around the levers with wrists on the top of the bar. As an old fart, I find the hardest thing about maintaining aero is that my triceps get tired, and the second thing that goes is my lower back (which often turns out to be that I haven't rotated my pelvis enough).

Accordingly, I do the following:

Planks (core, triceps)
Push-ups (triceps, core)
Kettle bell swings (core)
Bent over rowing (lower back, triceps, core)
Deadlifts (legs, lower back) to vertical rowing (triceps)
Squats (legs, core)

This list is ordered in terms of payoff and lack of equipment. I look forward to reading what more knowledgeable folks suggest!

Hugh
Factor Ostro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Good question. Nearly all my training is focused on optimizing Watts/CdA so I have a long answer if your question was about training aero position without limits.

But since you stipulate "at home and no tools", my short answer:

1. Planks, crunches, push-ups. Super basic calisthenics. No frills; just works.

2. If an indoor trainer can be an exception for "no tools", replace some or all of your stationary turbo sessions for rollers. Hold your breakaway position for the duration of your indoor workouts. As you grow comfortable, vary your cadence across the spectrum of low, natural, high rpms as well as short bursts of speed work (+140rpm and more) to test and refine your ability to maintain position.

If you are REALLY time crunched and can only do one of those things, focus on the rollers. It's like a long but very mild version of a plank already.

Bonus 3rd is to practice the position every opportunity you get, whether it's soft rolling on a group ride or doing your own thing outdoors. Maybe that's too obvious and simple... but hey.

That's the short time-crunched answer for the time-crunched.

** This advice is assuming two things:
One: You have great general fitness and good handling so that the rollers sounds like a fun challenge rather than a daunting risky task.
Two: Your road bike is already dialed for the optimal breakaway position as it pertains to you, which is a whole topic in and of itself.

robeambro

by robeambro

fruitfly wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:08 pm
I am sure others will have more informed suggestions, but FWIW:

My ability to hold an aero position is about a combination of forward pelvic rotation, lower back strength, and getting balance of weight on saddle vs handlebar right. The most aero position is with the heel of hand on the top of the hoods and fingers around the levers with wrists on the top of the bar. As an old fart, I find the hardest thing about maintaining aero is that my triceps get tired, and the second thing that goes is my lower back (which often turns out to be that I haven't rotated my pelvis enough).

Accordingly, I do the following:

Planks (core, triceps)
Push-ups (triceps, core)
Kettle bell swings (core)
Bent over rowing (lower back, triceps, core)
Deadlifts (legs, lower back) to vertical rowing (triceps)
Squats (legs, core)

This list is ordered in terms of payoff and lack of equipment. I look forward to reading what more knowledgeable folks suggest!

Hugh
Thanks Hugh. It looks as though planks (and their infinite variations, e.g. one legged planks) would be your first choice. You seem to be doing quite a lot of activities though!
maxim809 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:15 am
Good question. Nearly all my training is focused on optimizing Watts/CdA so I have a long answer if your question was about training aero position without limits.

But since you stipulate "at home and no tools", my short answer:

1. Planks, crunches, push-ups. Super basic calisthenics. No frills; just works.

2. If an indoor trainer can be an exception for "no tools", replace some or all of your stationary turbo sessions for rollers. Hold your breakaway position for the duration of your indoor workouts. As you grow comfortable, vary your cadence across the spectrum of low, natural, high rpms as well as short bursts of speed work (+140rpm and more) to test and refine your ability to maintain position.

If you are REALLY time crunched and can only do one of those things, focus on the rollers. It's like a long but very mild version of a plank already.

Bonus 3rd is to practice the position every opportunity you get, whether it's soft rolling on a group ride or doing your own thing outdoors. Maybe that's too obvious and simple... but hey.

That's the short time-crunched answer for the time-crunched.

** This advice is assuming two things:
One: You have great general fitness and good handling so that the rollers sounds like a fun challenge rather than a daunting risky task.
Two: Your road bike is already dialed for the optimal breakaway position as it pertains to you, which is a whole topic in and of itself.
Thank you. Honestly, I would have never ever thought of the rollers. I have never tried them, and I'm afraid it's not something I would do as I find indoor racing to be way too entertaining to replace that with rollers, but it's interesting as I had never thought of that.

Since you teased about it, what would be your go-to one or two exercises if we remove the "at home and no tools" clause?

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

The best training is the one you do. No worries if my ideas don't apply.

My other tip is squat and deadlifts in the gym, at least once a week for maintenance in-season. More days in winter. Only takes ~30min once you're in the gym.

Even after dialing my fit and spending years getting accustomed to the position, I occasionally still got mildly sore lower backs if I hold the breakaway position at sweet spot for 2~3 hours, or if I hold threshold for 30 minutes.

Being a luddite I avoided the gym forever. Finally started doing it couple years ago. Lower back pains gone, and much easier to hold and control the position.

So there you go. Rollers for smoothness, lift for control. The rest is literally just using the position every opportunity you get. Initially this needs to be done deliberately. Eventually it will become natural without thinking, like riding a bike.

It's that simple.

Tho, dialing the fit can be a whole thing. Or not. Depends.