oval chainrings and l/r imbalance

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

I've just done my first couple of rides on ovals (absoluteblack - lovely people to deal with, etc...) and I've notice my left leg has felt more...strained. I do have a spondy which makes itself felt in my left quad / it band, and I've long suspected I have a L/R imbalance - I only train with power on the trainer, so no way of definitively knowing.

Anyone got any insight to this? Do ovals make less of a place to hide, if you like, for an imbalance...and good thing for levelling up the left, or possibly a source of strain / problems down the line?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

patchsurfer wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:44 am

Anyone got any insight to this? Do ovals make less of a place to hide, if you like, for an imbalance...and good thing for levelling up the left, or possibly a source of strain / problems down the line?

Your imbalance is probably in a specific muscle group or due to hip impingement on one side. Since non-round chainrings increase the amount of power you put out on the downstroke, I imagine it's your glutes or quads with a remote possibility of hamstrings. Ovals don't necessarily result in fatigue or strain issues...in fact they're advertised as reducing them since they lower the amount of work your calves have to do, and those are the smallest of the major muscles driving your pedal stroke.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

Thanks tobin, I'm interested to see if this is something that goes away, and if ovals are in any way an effective tool for remediating / building up strength on the weaker side.

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

Didn't report back, for anyone that's interested.

The initial growing pains in my left quad went away pretty quickly - within a fortnight. Anecdotally, when I've done big training blocks on round chainrings, towards the end I've been very concious of my left psoa being very tight - fun evenings spent rolling around on a baseball trying not to scream, and regular visits to the osteo for torture.

I've had a really solid spring on the ovals and I haven't experienced this this year. Sample size of 1, obvs.

greatstewie

by greatstewie

nope oval is great

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

greatstewie wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:42 pm
nope oval is great
Expand please
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greatstewie

by greatstewie

never had any issues with oval .it actaully took allot of the force and pressure off the knees.